Bergkamp statue

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
g88ner

Re: Bergkamp statue

Post by g88ner »

chyren1 wrote:
g88ner wrote:It's strange, DB10 played for such a long time and never once do I remember him having a pole shoved up his arse :?
Well,
Your post appeared in the mirror :lol:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ny-3177140

Well played sir
Well played :lol:
:barscarf:

wow, my comment makes The Mirror :shock: what a proud moment :oops: :lol:

Well spotted mate 8) :lol:

Grant jones

Post by Grant jones »

Just going back to Saturday thought Dennis was fucking A1

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Grant jones wrote:Just going back to Saturday thought Dennis was fucking A1
Who's A1? Is she nice?

gavbacon

Post by gavbacon »

I'd like to see Wrighty get a statue I think he is so underrated. We'd still be talking about him being the greatest if Henry, Bergkamp et all hadn't come along.

I do wonder, if Wrighty in his prime had the team that Henry had, just how many more goals and medals he would have got!

chyren1

Post by chyren1 »

g88ner wrote:
chyren1 wrote:
g88ner wrote:It's strange, DB10 played for such a long time and never once do I remember him having a pole shoved up his arse :?
Well,

Well played sir

Looks like I spend too much time on this site to be able to kriss kross that information :wink:

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

I liked the pose actually, pole or no pole. Its different and eye catching. The back view (And lets face it thats what most other teams got in the main from him) is great with the 10 and name done well.

And what a treat to see the hero back on the field- first time Ive been able to get a Bovril and be back in my seat within 3 ninutes a record at half time. :lol:

Ive messed up though as I shuddered with shame as my younger son said "Who is that man Bergkamp" :oops: :oops: :oops: Cue hours of youtube- great 8)

There really is so much space around the outside of the stadium that theres room for a fair few more without it being too OTT.

Would really like some from the 71 and GG era as well as the 30s- Bob Wilson Pat Jennings Seaman and Lehmann as a quartet of keepers as well perhaps- odd that I think Wilson is the only keeper on the large back views round the stadium, maybe Seamons there Im not sure :oops:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

g88ner wrote:
chyren1 wrote:
Well,

Well played sir

If the Mirror printed anything I wrote I'd cut my hands off with a blunt knife and set myself on fire. You g88ner are now a hack. You disgust me. :x

:lol: :wink:

wibble

Post by wibble »

DB10GOONER wrote:
g88ner wrote:
chyren1 wrote:
Well,

Well played sir

If the Mirror printed anything I wrote I'd cut my hands off with a blunt knife and set myself on fire. You g88ner are now a hack. You disgust me. :x

You're just jealous he got published! :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

wibble wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
g88ner wrote:
chyren1 wrote:
Well,

Well played sir

You're just jealous he got published! :wink:
:lol:

Damn! Rumbled. :banghead:

:wink:

Sam59

Post by Sam59 »

they should go back to the sculptor/engineer and see if there's not another way to display Dennis (I like the actual statue) without a pole up his arse. Wonder if this was the budget solution?! Does sound like someone miscalc'd on the actual weight.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2zjJIApXK0

The fact that the man is not working at the club in any capacity is a complete disgrace.

remigardeshair

Post by remigardeshair »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... paign=1490

Yes I know who wrote it, and where, but still, even by their standards this is really hilarious.

Suppose we better knock the statue down :(

Clash

Post by Clash »

This might not be a popular view but I think the statues and the giant murals outside the Emirates are bordering on being grotesque.

As Arsenal supporters, we have a history to be very proud of. A history that far exceeds what we are at the present and for me it is typical of what we are at present that we are choosing to display our history in such a gawdy way. The entire Emirates both inside and outside looks tacky to me and statues of former players are not necessary in my opinion.

In fact I cannot think of one good reason for them other than the club trying to cover up their inadequacies when it comes to act like a real football club. I don’t think the people who run the club have a clue what they are anymore. Remember the big fuss the club made when they brought the clock back into the stadium? There was a big fanfare for something that should have been in the ground from day one. They should have been embarrassed but instead they portrayed themselves as being respectful to our history and traditions.

I accept there is an argument for youngsters seeing the statues of these legends and then learning who they are but I didn’t need to see statues of Ted Drake and Frank McLintock and other players before my time to know who they are … as I’m sure nobody here did.

Don’t get me wrong, I am all for celebrating our past legends – seeing Bergkamp and the reception he got last Saturday was my favourite moment of the season. But I would have preferred him just returning as a guest of honour for the day or something.

Also football is a team game. Singling out individuals is not always right because of who it excludes. Concentrating on one era isn’t right either. The 3 statues we have so far all played in the same team. Where are the players from the 30s or the 1971 double team?

The problem with statues is that it creates a sort of pecking order. Some players get left out altogether and even those who get done might be made to feel less important than those who were done before them. I would also question why Henry got a statue before Bergkamp? Bergkamp was at the club first, he was with us longer, he didn’t leave us for another club, arguably he was actually a better player and he is retired -which personally I think should be the case for anyone having a statue made of them. Which reminds me … making a bust of Wenger while he is still in charge was both an appalling and damaging decision.

I just wonder why in our 93 years at Highbury the did the club not feel the need to commission statues? Or plaster giant images of former heroes onto the façade of the stadium? Was it because we had class? We knew how to do things in a classy and understated way?

Where do we draw the line with these statues? Will we eventually end up with a statue of a shirtless Eboue milking the applause of his adoring public like he used to do at the end of every game?

I realise I am rambling on a bit (okay a lot) about something that doesn’t really matter but I can’t help thinking the way the club are honouring our past is too forced and too false.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

remigardeshair wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... paign=1490

Yes I know who wrote it, and where, but still, even by their standards this is really hilarious.

Suppose we better knock the statue down :(
Ha, superb. I know he thrives off lazy idiotic WUMming but that is some of his best stuff. His failure to single-handedly win us the CL final at the age of 37 when the manager chose not to allow him on the pitch is highlighted as typifying his career.

And if they would have given Bergkamp the plans, a studio and a football and left him for a few weeks he would have created a statue that suspends in mid-air without the need for a pole. Don't question how, he just would have. He's Dennis.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Clash wrote:This might not be a popular view but I think the statues and the giant murals outside the Emirates are bordering on being grotesque.

As Arsenal supporters, we have a history to be very proud of. A history that far exceeds what we are at the present and for me it is typical of what we are at present that we are choosing to display our history in such a gawdy way. The entire Emirates both inside and outside looks tacky to me and statues of former players are not necessary in my opinion.

In fact I cannot think of one good reason for them other than the club trying to cover up their inadequacies when it comes to act like a real football club. I don’t think the people who run the club have a clue what they are anymore. Remember the big fuss the club made when they brought the clock back into the stadium? There was a big fanfare for something that should have been in the ground from day one. They should have been embarrassed but instead they portrayed themselves as being respectful to our history and traditions.

I accept there is an argument for youngsters seeing the statues of these legends and then learning who they are but I didn’t need to see statues of Ted Drake and Frank McLintock and other players before my time to know who they are … as I’m sure nobody here did.

Don’t get me wrong, I am all for celebrating our past legends – seeing Bergkamp and the reception he got last Saturday was my favourite moment of the season. But I would have preferred him just returning as a guest of honour for the day or something.

Also football is a team game. Singling out individuals is not always right because of who it excludes. Concentrating on one era isn’t right either. The 3 statues we have so far all played in the same team. Where are the players from the 30s or the 1971 double team?

The problem with statues is that it creates a sort of pecking order. Some players get left out altogether and even those who get done might be made to feel less important than those who were done before them. I would also question why Henry got a statue before Bergkamp? Bergkamp was at the club first, he was with us longer, he didn’t leave us for another club, arguably he was actually a better player and he is retired -which personally I think should be the case for anyone having a statue made of them. Which reminds me … making a bust of Wenger while he is still in charge was both an appalling and damaging decision.

I just wonder why in our 93 years at Highbury the did the club not feel the need to commission statues? Or plaster giant images of former heroes onto the façade of the stadium? Was it because we had class? We knew how to do things in a classy and understated way?

Where do we draw the line with these statues? Will we eventually end up with a statue of a shirtless Eboue milking the applause of his adoring public like he used to do at the end of every game?

I realise I am rambling on a bit (okay a lot) about something that doesn’t really matter but I can’t help thinking the way the club are honouring our past is too forced and too false.
Rambling or not, I really enjoyed reading that mate 8)