Everton FA Cup

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: Everton FA Cup

Post by augie »

UlsterGooner wrote:I thinks its a disgrace that our No 1 keeper and a player who has saved us many times this season could miss out on a Wembley semi-final and possible final for a keepers who is about to leave at the end of the year

Obviously it is not the case, but if our two keepers were on the same quality level, then that alone should be the deciding factor - I can understand the loyalty factor if flaps wasnt leaving at the end of the season but because he is going, wenkers loyalty should be to the club, the rest of the players and of course the fans and so he should be picking the best keeper for the job and clearly that is chesney

In the league cup finals of recent years I have defended wenger's policy of playing "2nd string" players because we had other (bigger) fish to fry but this is the fa cup and the trophyless famine has gone on too long so sentiment has to go out the window and practically should reign

remigardeshair

Post by remigardeshair »

armchair supporter wrote:Remember Fergie having the balls to drop Leighton and replace him with Les Sealey for an FA Cup final back in the day when hed won nothing for four years since he arrived at Utd and his job was in jeopardy.
Thats the kind of big decision managers have to make. Some say it saved his job at Utd.

Four long years eh, without a trophy...... pity they didnt sack him back then. :cry:
Slightly different scenario though, Leighton played in the first game again Palace and had a shocker in the 3-3. so he was dropped for the replay

Kvltman

Post by Kvltman »

At times against Everton there seemed to be a lack of communication with the back four and Fabianski (BFG gave him a bollocking for one such instance) and that gives cause for concern as all it takes is one moment of lack of communication and we could lose the cup a la Brum 2011.

Wenger has obviously made his decision for the semi-final but I just hope he plays Szcesney should we reach the final. As others have said, sentiment needs to go out the window, we need to win this.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Kvltman wrote:At times against Everton there seemed to be a lack of communication with the back four and Fabianski (BFG gave him a bollocking for one such instance) and that gives cause for concern as all it takes is one moment of lack of communication and we could lose the cup a la Brum 2011.

Wenger has obviously made his decision for the semi-final but I just hope he plays Szcesney should we reach the final. As others have said, sentiment needs to go out the window, we need to win this.
Good post. Agree 100%. 8)

armchair

Post by armchair »

remigardeshair wrote:
armchair supporter wrote:Remember Fergie having the balls to drop Leighton and replace him with Les Sealey for an FA Cup final back in the day when hed won nothing for four years since he arrived at Utd and his job was in jeopardy.
Thats the kind of big decision managers have to make. Some say it saved his job at Utd.

Four long years eh, without a trophy...... pity they didnt sack him back then. :cry:
Slightly different scenario though, Leighton played in the first game again Palace and had a shocker in the 3-3. so he was dropped for the replay
Yes.
Couldnt see Wenger making that kind of decision though. Look how long he persisted with Almunia, making him captain and insisting he was "world class" ffs.
I reckon he'll play flappy in the semi and if we make the final too. Because hes Wenger and his ego wont allow him to do otherwise.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

To be fair to Flappy, he's not been particularly Flappy-esque this season and has actually played quite well (maybe he's relaxed now he knows he's leaving), but communication between GK and back 4 is crucial and for that reason alone Ches should play.
AW's prime responsibility is to the club and the fans, not a single player.

Herd

Post by Herd »

We were lucky on Saturday ,for me the OX made alll the difference as Everton were on top after they scored but the Ox was a constant thorn in their sides and won the penalty which changed the game.

Everton fell apart after that but nice to see us bury a team instead of hanging on for dear life .

Its ours to lose now and we do have a history of choking but `on the goalkeepers il say this .
Flappy is always a blunder away from a meltdown,he's playing for his future in football and is playing well but his inner Dudek will out itself eventually .

We have tended to give Chez a break because the Goalkeeping position ,was not on the top of our agenda to be sorted but he still isnt the full ticket and may never be .
I think he is arrogant and rash and he does cost us from time to time .

So after wer get an Henry and a Vierra we still need a Top class keeper if we are to seriously challenge for a title.

Right now I hope we can get to the Final so I ccan come home like all good glory hunting Arsenal fans from asia will be doing !