Swansea match thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
green gooner

Re: Swansea match thread

Post by green gooner »

Midz wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:Isn't Chuba Akpom an anagram of Jermaine Pennant? :rubchin:

:wink:

No, it's an anagram of 'another useless **nt Wenger bought!'
He came up through the youth system I believe. Don't kill the lad this early :roll:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Swansea will be playing a better lone striker than us. Every time I see Bony play he gets better and better - quicker and stronger than Giroud. Not the top class striker we crave but would happily have him in a squad role as one of 4 strikers

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

don't forget we lost at home to Swansea last season so stand by for a positive spin being put on a draw should that happen.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

We are there for the taking tonight, confidence and belief must be at rock bottom. Swansea are a decent side on their day and could quite easily take advantage tonight. Do I care? Not a fucking jot.

Sam59

Post by Sam59 »

Koscielny's out for weeks. Another victim of the overplaying and lousy fitness preparation (just read this - apologies if it's posted elsewhere already as is a couple of weeks back http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... nt-3233644)

it's going to be a nervy one unless we somehow conjure a couple of early goals. I went to this fixture last season and we played a high line and Michu destroyed us on the break. As we all know, certain people don't learn from experience... :banghead:
Think Bony was a good signing for them. He suits the PL. An awful lot better than Sanogo, who I suppose might start. Flamini and Fabianski too.

augie

Post by augie »

I don't doubt that confidence is low and I don't doubt that the place will be nervy tonight but I still expect a 2-0 win. This isn't the same Swansea side as last season and they don't seem as unified either - players like michu that had a golden season last year, don't seem to be as influencial this season and they have picked up more injuries as a result of extra games on their schedule due to thurs night cup.

I reckon that we will see a much changed line up tonight - kos is already out but tv5 will do the job ok alongside BFG. The midfield is going to be the key area - I think that it is a given that flamoney will start but after that who knows what wenker will do ? :roll:

Let me be the only one (so far) that appears opposed to the dropping of Chesney - I slated him last week for the "selfie" bullshit, but to carry the can for Saturdays mauling seems ridiculously unfair. When you consider how many fcuk ups it took to get average al out of the team, to drop Chesney after 2 suspect performances seems harsh.

That being said I don't think that I really give a fcuk what happens tonight unless it has a boost to the wenker out movement and I don't believe that a defeat tonight will have any effect on his future :cry:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

augie wrote:I don't doubt that confidence is low and I don't doubt that the place will be nervy tonight but I still expect a 2-0 win. This isn't the same Swansea side as last season and they don't seem as unified either - players like michu that had a golden season last year, don't seem to be as influencial this season and they have picked up more injuries as a result of extra games on their schedule due to thurs night cup.

I reckon that we will see a much changed line up tonight - kos is already out but tv5 will do the job ok alongside BFG. The midfield is going to be the key area - I think that it is a given that flamoney will start but after that who knows what wenker will do ? :roll:

Let me be the only one (so far) that appears opposed to the dropping of Chesney - I slated him last week for the "selfie" bullshit, but to carry the can for Saturdays mauling seems ridiculously unfair. When you consider how many fcuk ups it took to get average al out of the team, to drop Chesney after 2 suspect performances seems harsh.

That being said I don't think that I really give a fcuk what happens tonight unless it has a boost to the wenker out movement and I don't believe that a defeat tonight will have any effect on his future :cry:
Maybe he has dared to question Wenker's tactics.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Chesney will probably be fine against Swansea this evening but he continually fails in the big games.
ever since his blunder in the cup final v Birmingham he has proved he can't cope on the big stage.

he has been there for the 2-8 v United, the 3-6 v City, the 1-5 v Liverpool, the 0-4 v Milan and now the 0-6 v Chelsea.
add into that his spectacular failure at Euro 2012.

is it just coincidence that we are in the FA Cup semi finals because he hasn't played in any of the matches?

remigardeshair

Post by remigardeshair »

Gunner Rob wrote:Chesney will probably be fine against Swansea this evening but he continually fails in the big games.
ever since his blunder in the cup final v Birmingham he has proved he can't cope on the big stage.

he has been there for the 2-8 v United, the 3-6 v City, the 1-5 v Liverpool, the 0-4 v Milan and now the 0-6 v Chelsea.

is it just coincidence that we are in the FA Cup semi finals because he hasn't played in any of the matches?
You might have a point if he was directly culpable for a large amount of those goals, but he wasn't, it isnt really his fault that the defence parted like the red sea in those games.

Harsh to call Euro 2012 a spectacular failure, sent off and then didnt play again, its not like he leaked numerous goals through fumbles etc.

augie

Post by augie »

Gunner Rob wrote:Chesney will probably be fine against Swansea this evening but he continually fails in the big games.

I would probably be ok with dropping him if we had someone like Julio cesar as back-up but we only have flaps - yes I know that he has done ok in the cup run (very well in some games) but I have seen enough of the guy to know that he is always just 1 moment away from an almighty fcuk up. Even in the victims game he made a serious fcuk up that could and should have cost us the game and then maybe we wouldn't be in the position of having to consider the possibility of a capitulation against wigan/hull/Sheffield united

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

I make Koscielny culpable for that particular bollocks-up.

As regards golakeeping: how do you think Seaman or Wilson would have fared in this team if offered the same protection by midfield and full-back that Wenger allows for?

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Blaming, Scez for any of those defeats is ridicluous. He has been our player of the season. and has probably won us more points, than any other plge keeper has for their respective sides.

Leedsgooner1

Post by Leedsgooner1 »

I think that we will come out fighting tonight & can see a big win, we need to start quickly though & i am thinking 4-0 with Sanogo getting 3 of them :roll:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

We couldn't have picked a better game to have tonight. A side that is generally poor on the road and have been sliding for months. But are still a few points off relegation and will hardly put in a backs-to-the-wall scrapping performance, they will try and play some football. Don't think their manager is up to the job or has much of a clue tactically (not unlike our own).

If that useless slaphead clown Jonjo Shelvey is pulling the strings and orchestrates the result tonight then God help us. Although saying all of the above we were well beaten at home last year and were extremely lucky to escape with 3 points the previous season.

Ryanswannell

Post by Ryanswannell »

Just fucking win for fuck's sake. That is all 8)