Red Army Take Over Baker Street Pubs!

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
nut flush gooner

Red Army Take Over Baker Street Pubs!

Post by nut flush gooner »

Ok so we have a small group of us going on the lash before the match. Gonna swerve moorespice as its a ripoff and not too sure about the green man as it seems a bit out of the way down some side street.

Anyone else got any good venues, and has redaction organised anything. Their venues are usually pretty good with reasonable priced beers. Somewhere you can get some lunch then cane the beers would be ideal.
Last edited by nut flush gooner on Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BournemouthRED

Re: FA Cup Semi - Drinking venue?

Post by BournemouthRED »

Im undecided, i like the look of the green man as a venue. Will be lovely if its sunny like today 8)

But i am quite tempted to start at Marylebone/baker street and see if many other gooners do the same.

nut flush gooner

BournemouthRED wrote:Im undecided, i like the look of the green man as a venue. Will be lovely if its sunny like today 8)

But i am quite tempted to start at Marylebone/baker street and see if many other gooners do the same.
Back in the day when Arsenal played their CL games at Wembley I used to drink at the globe. Beer prices are much more expensive in town mind and if you neck a load its a nightmare getting on a packed train if you got a weak bladder (one of our group will spend half the afternoon in the bog!).

I should imagine that wigan might take over the globe as a lot of northern clubs often do, and they will probably get there before we do. There is also a wetherspoons on wembley high road but its not on the doorstep of the stadium.

One thing I can never get over is despite all the development at wembley with the stadium etc, there is a serious lack of bars/restaurants that you get at places like stratford.

BournemouthRED

Post by BournemouthRED »

will be interesting to see if red action do anything. Im happy as long as i can drink cold beer outside in the sun. Im a simple man :lol:

nut flush gooner

BournemouthRED wrote:will be interesting to see if red action do anything. Im happy as long as i can drink cold beer outside in the sun. Im a simple man :lol:
Yeah that's what I am looking out for. Their bashes are unpretentious and usually good fun.

I will post a link when they make an announcement.

AFCjames

Post by AFCjames »

Anyone thinking of starting early doors in holloway, then going across to another boozer around wembley?

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

nut flush gooner wrote:One thing I can never get over is despite all the development at wembley with the stadium etc, there is a serious lack of bars/restaurants that you get at places like stratford.
Absolutely. The stadium being rubbish for the money is one thing, but to plough in so much money and still let it be such a shit experience is disgraceful. Completely insufficient regeneration of the area for matchday needs.

buckle14

Post by buckle14 »

Provided the weather is good the Green Man would be a good location. Been there for An England game before and there was a good atmosphere out in the beer garden

mattyj3nks

Wembley Pubs

Post by mattyj3nks »

Hi all,

Just booked my train tickets. Going from Birmingham to Marylebone to change and then to Wembley.

Where will most arsenal fans be drinking before the game? Just trying to find out as I can anywhere near Marylebone before changing on a later train.

Just wanting to find somewhere with a good atmosphere pre match as usually do away games so adds to a the day.

If anyone has any information please let me know

Thanks

Matt

nut flush gooner

Re: Wembley Pubs

As you are going to travelling into Marylebone, come over to the globe opposite Baker Street Tube Station. Its literally 5 mins walk from Marylebone station. As its en route to Wembley from North London, I expect it to be rammed full of gooners. Also from Baker Street its only 15 mins to Wembley Park on the Metropolitan Line.

Wembley itself is very limited for drinking options near the stadium. They will all be absolutely heaving and some of them may even charge for entry (see the thread advertising a "wembley party").

We are going for some lunch at a pub called the Volunteer (They do good food but expect London prices mind) which is 2 mins from Baker Street then onto the globe at around 12:30 for a piss up.

Going back to the globe theres a large outside area which gets pretty lively before cup finals/england games. They are used to having large numbers. Check these links out:

http://www.yelp.co.uk/map/the-globe-london-7

http://www.thevolunteernw1.co.uk/

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

i used to work in the area so have a pretty good knowledge of the pubs around Baker Street :D

the Globe will clearly be the main pub - although will Wigan fans also try and use this?
the Volunteer I always remember as being very expensive for drinks but it is a nice little pub - you just can't fit too many people into it.

the other pub in the area which is good is the Allsop Arms. It is between Baker Street and Marylebone stations (less than 5 minutes walk from each) this would be able to cater for a lot of fans but maybe it gets overlooked because there are other pubs closer. if I find the Globe too packed I will probably end up here.

nut flush gooner

Gunner Rob wrote:i used to work in the area so have a pretty good knowledge of the pubs around Baker Street :D

the Globe will clearly be the main pub - although will Wigan fans also try and use this?
the Volunteer I always remember as being very expensive for drinks but it is a nice little pub - you just can't fit too many people into it.

the other pub in the area which is good is the Allsop Arms. It is between Baker Street and Marylebone stations (less than 5 minutes walk from each) this would be able to cater for a lot of fans but maybe it gets overlooked because there are other pubs closer. if I find the Globe too packed I will probably end up here.
The volunteer is purely an alcohol lining exercise and we are going there for food, its a bit posh for a piss up!

Thing is with the globe, if we turn up en masse, we will easily take the pub. It will only take like 5 or 6 decent size groups to organise something off this forum and the pub is ours. Our group is 5 at the mo, but could easily swell up to a dozen.

And it will be the best for outside space if the weather is nice. The allsop is down a side street, will defo consider it, but the Globe is in the prime position imo.

I also used to work in Baker Street.

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

The Metropolitan pub right next to the Euston Rd entrance of Baker St tube should be avoided if possible.

I used to go there after work on way home to not so sunny middx and it was crap,bar staff were rude and it has zero atmosphere.
The only thing it had going for it was the cheap booze(twas a Wetherspoons, don't know about now).

The Globe is good for the massive outside space it has if the weather holds up.

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

The Green Man. I use to rent a tent in the car park and sell beers during the league play off's back in the day. Good boozer but probably sanitised nowadays.
The Greyhound up by the Triangle, if still there.
The Grapes, upstairs, Michael and his missus place. Full of Oirish, Guinness and lost teeth.
The Orange Tree in Stonebridge Park, be aware of the natives.

mattyj3nks

Post by mattyj3nks »

Looks like the globe could be the place to head for then.
There is 6 in our group and will probably be getting there for about 11am so may aswell just head straight for there from Marylebone.