Bradford.FC fire (Hillsborough Comparison)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
wilko49er

Bradford.FC fire (Hillsborough Comparison)

Post by wilko49er »

Discussion we were having yesterday. Yes remember Hillsborough. But it does get rammed down our throats. How come Bradford FC fire never gets a mention. Lot of folk died that day elderly and youngsters too. List of the victims. RIP too all.

ACKROYD, John Douglas 32 Baildon
ANDERTON, Edmund 68 Bingley
BAINES, Alexander Shaw 70 Bradford
BAMFORD, Herbert 72 Bradford
BULMER, Christopher James 11 Burley-in-Wharfedale
COXON, Jack Leo 76 Bradford
COXON, Leo Anthony 44 Halifax
CRABTREE, David James 30 Bradford
CRABTREE, Harry 76 Bradford
DEMPSEY, Derek 46 Morley
FIRTH, Muriel 56 Baildon
FIRTH, Samuel 86 Bradford
FLETCHER, Andrew 11 East Bridgford, Nottinghamshire
FLETCHER, Edmond 63 Pudsey
FLETCHER, John 34 East Bridgford, Nottingham
FLETCHER, Peter 32 Gildersome
FORSTER, Nellie 64 Bradford
GREENWOOD, Felix Winspear 13 Denholme
GREENWOOD, Peter 46 Denholme
GREENWOOD, Rupert Benedict 11 Denholme
HALL, Norman 71 Bradford
HALLIDAY, Peter Anthony 34 Bradford
HARTLEY, Arthur 79 Bradford
HINDLE, Edith 79 Bradford
HINDLE, Frederick 76 Bradford
HODGSON, Moira Helen 15 Oakenshaw
HUDSON, Eric 72 Bingley
HUGHES, John 64 Bradford
HUTTON, John 74 Bradford
KERR, Walter 76 Bradford
LOVELL, Peter Charles 43 Bradford
LUDLAM, Jack 55 Bradford
McPHERSON, Gordon Stuart 39 Bradford
McPHERSON, Irene 28 Bradford
MASON, Roy 74 Silsden
MIDDLETON, Frederick Norman 84 Bradford
MITCHELL, Harold 79 Bradford
MUHL, Elizabeth 21 Leeds
NORMINGTON, Ernest 74 Shipley
ORMONDROYD, Gerald Priestley 40 Bingley
ORMONDROYD, Richard John 12 Bingley
ORMONDROYD, Robert Ian 12 Bingley
POLLARD, Sylvia Lund 69 Bradford
PRICE, Herbert 78 Shipley
ROBERTS, Amanda Jayne 20 Bradford
SAMPSON, Jane 18 Leeds
STACEY, William 72 Sleaford, Lincolnshire
STOCKMAN, Craig Albert 14 Bradford
STOCKMAN, Jane Ashley 16 Bradford
STOCKMAN, Trevor John 38 Brighouse
TURNER, Howard Malcolm 41 Bingley
TURNER, Sarah Elizabeth 16 Bingley
WARD, Simon Neil 18 Shipley
WEDGEWORTH, Robert 72 Guiseley
WEST, William James 78 North Hykeham, Lincoln
WRIGHT, Adrian Mark 11 Bradford

MK Gould

Re: Bradford.FC fire

Post by MK Gould »

Very good point about Bradford (and lets not forget that two Lincoln City fans were among the victims that day). I made a special point of visiting the memorial (in the city centre) when we played up there last year.

But some people use it as a stick to beat Hillsborough with and I think that's wrong... 96 innocent fellow football fans died that day after all. It could easily have happened to us...

I'd prefer to think we should be commemorating both tragic events, rather than for people to use it as justification for slagging Liverpool and not continuing to remember Hillsborough...

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

MK Gould wrote:Very good point about Bradford. I made a special point of visiting the memorial (in the city centre) when we played up there last year.

But some people use it as a stick to beat Hillsborough with and I think that's wrong... 96 innocent fellow football fans died that day after all. It could easily have happened to us...

I'd prefer to think we should be commemorating both tragic events, rather than for people to use it as justification for slagging Liverpool and not continuing to remember Hillsborough...
With all due respect MK Gould..I think the ones using Hillsborough are actually the Liverpool fans and club. This discussion is going on around football at the moment and it is right and correct to remember Hillsborough at this time, but why is Bradford generally not mentioned in the same way and why is Heysel airbrushed from History by Liverpool fans.? Any person going to a football game anywhere in the world has the right to go home safely. Regardless of the cause of tragedy the net result is people died and respect must be equal.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

Both tragic events should obviously be remembered, no doubt about it and don't think anyone was saying otherwise. It's nice to see Bradford , a club who have had to overcome that come through it and not use it in the same cynical way other media types do with liverpool I think was the point.

RIP to the victims of both tragedies.

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

Being from Lincolnshire I will never forget that day and in fact had contemplated going.
The footage from the game is still so harrowing and the point where a supporter walks onto the pitch on fire is just awful.
Lincoln named a stand after the 2 fans who died that day.
Hillsborough and Heysel tend to get remembered more than Bradford.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Hear, hear. RIP the Bradford victims, my heart goes out to those who lost their lives and the families which were affected. Any of us who go to matches today, are safer because of the fire safety lessons learnt from this terrible day.

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

Both were terrible events which deserve to be respected and remembered but what I don't like is the almost forced outpouring of grief every time the Hillsborough anniversary comes round.

Maybe it's because i'm quite a quiet guy anyway, but it's not my style & never has been. Mourning and remembrance should be a quiet, personal thing in my opinion which is why I like the way that Bradford remember the victims. It seems like there's now something of a competition every year to see who can put on the biggest public show of grief for Hillsborough & if you're not inclined to participate fully then you're shunned as a cold, heartless bastard.

I fully expect for the anniversary next year that every fan will be expected to cry a litre of real tears for Hillsborough upon arriving at the turnstile.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Dan_85 wrote:Both were terrible events which deserve to be respected and remembered but what I don't like is the almost forced outpouring of grief every time the Hillsborough anniversary comes round.

Maybe it's because i'm quite a quiet guy anyway, but it's not my style & never has been. Mourning and remembrance should be a quiet, personal thing in my opinion which is why I like the way that Bradford remember the victims. It seems like there's now something of a competition every year to see who can put on the biggest public show of grief for Hillsborough & if you're not inclined to participate fully then you're shunned as a cold, heartless bastard.

I fully expect for the anniversary next year that every fan will be expected to cry a litre of real tears for Hillsborough upon arriving at the turnstile.

Yes that is true, not just for Hillsborough but even this week celebs are falling over themselves to tweet the most heart wrenching message about the death of Peaches Geldof...there is a need in people to put their grief or forced grief on public display. Thoughts and prayers in a God-less World.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Dan_85 wrote:Both were terrible events which deserve to be respected and remembered but what I don't like is the almost forced outpouring of grief every time the Hillsborough anniversary comes round.

Fair comments. Both events were absolutely tragic but to me the constant politicisation and campaigning about Hillsborough actually detracts from the tragedy. Those who covered up should be held accountable without doubt but for any kids growing up Hillsborough probably seems as much about the police and politicians than about the fact that 96 innocent fans lost their lives.

I can understand feelings of anger and bitterness about it but it just seems like these have escalated far beyond genuine grief. I have absolutely no problem with paying my respects to those who sadly lost their lives, visiting the Hillsborough Memorial at Anfield was quite poignant and I'd find the same if I ever went to Hillsborough. But as I said to me the campaign has lost focus on the tragedy and it just twisted and bitter, and I hardly feel moved to support that every year.

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

Bradywasking wrote:

Yes that is true, not just for Hillsborough but even this week celebs are falling over themselves to tweet the most heart wrenching message about the death of Peaches Geldof...there is a need in people to put their grief or forced grief on public display. Thoughts and prayers in a God-less World.
It's true. The more people put their grief on display publically, the more validation and recognition they receive (or think they'll receive), in turn making themselves feel better. It flips the entire event on it's head and instead makes it entirely self-centred.

Barry Bastard

Post by Barry Bastard »

Black arm bands, a minutes silence, we're getting it every year now, every team in every game. There are already memorials at Anfield and Hillsborough but the rest of us have to join in as well. I hope next year with it being anniversary no. 26 which is an insignificant number it will quieten down, we will have to wait and see.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

I remember the news showing Valley Parade on fire, it was absolutely horrific.

RIP to all Bradford and Lincoln fans who lost their lives in that tragedy.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

That is such a dreadful list - father and sons together, married couples, and the Fletcher family - three generations lost together.

Anyone who went to lower league grounds in the 80's will remember those old wooden stands - Brentford had them...

An awful tragedy too.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

clockender1 wrote:That is such a dreadful list - father and sons together, married couples, and the Fletcher family - three generations lost together.

Anyone who went to lower league grounds in the 80's will remember those old wooden stands - Brentford had them...

An awful tragedy too.
Burnley still has its wooden stand and they are likely to be back in the premiership next season. Bradford was horrifc and in a way more tragic than heysal and hillsborough. At some point the other two were inevitable based on fan behaviour of the time and the complete lack of crowd and ticket controls. Had Forest had the lepping lane end, it could well have been 96 Forest supporters who lost their lives that. The point I'm trying to make, much improved ticketing and more effective crowd control has virtually eliminated a heysal or hillsborough from occuring again. A Bradford like tragedy could still happen as there are still a number of wooden stands in use throughout the football league. No one should lose their life just because they attended a football match. RIP to the 96 at Hillsborough, the 56 at Bradford, the 38 at Heysal and the 66 who perished in the Ibrox disaster of 1971.

augie

Post by augie »

If the scousers don't recognise the Bradford fire, are we sure it even happened or is it, like heysel, just a figment of our imagination ? :roll: :evil:

On a serious note I too remember the events of that day and it truly was a tragedy :( It really is an absolute disgrace that the events that day does not get the same level of recognition or coverage that the Hillsborough tragedy gets.