The Summer 2014 TRANSFER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Gunnersaurus

Re: SUMMER 2014 TRANSFER THREAD

Post by Gunnersaurus »

mcdowell42 wrote:Hull have made a £3m bid for Carl Jenkinson
11:52am - 28 Jul 14

Bite their hands off.

markyp

Post by markyp »

Revgoon89 wrote:My hope is that TV5 and Jenko will stay, Chambers adds a lot of versatility and means we have some nice depth at the back now. Considering we've already signed three experienced and highly rated players in positions we were lacking, i'm happy to allow us to bring in a player we can develop. Hell, I've been a big critic of how the club is run, but seeing us move early in the summer, spending all this money and actually filling these gaps in our team is very encouraging, especially compared to previous years of inactivity/last minute panic buys.

Feel sorry for Southampton though, it's been great to see them turn their fortunes around and now they've basically lost loads of their best assets, makes me wonder if they'll be able to stay up now.
I don't get the optimism,only sanchez has the wow factor,chambers is totally unproven,ospina is our no2 keeper and debuchy is a down grade on Sagna,all these positions weve moved to fill have been filled with average players bar sanchez and weve paid big money for chambers and debuchy neither of which would play for a top team anyhere else in the world as they aren't good enough,im not slating chambers just saying hes done nothing yet,thats big bucks for 'one for the future'.i wont be happy until we are bringing in the class and depth that city and chavski do each transfer window,we have the money,theres no excuses

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Revgoon89 wrote:My hope is that TV5 and Jenko will stay,
Why would they stay?TV could be a starter at Utd and Barca and the Corpral is now number 3 RB.TV is in the last year of his contract we wont let him go on a free.And if we can get £3m for Jenkinson thats good business

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
T.S wrote:I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I know all about Calum Chambers, because I don't. However, I went on a Southampton forum last night and they are all up in arms (yes I'm aware they could well be biased).

The consensus (it's a far busier forum than this one, and no one disagreed) was that this is an absolute steal for us. They cannot work out why their club is allowing such a talent to go for so cheap (their words, not mine).

Again, I know next to nothing about the kid apart from what I've read. But it could be that we've got a gem on our hands. If he is as versatile as everyone says he is and can play RB or DM, then great. But I do not want his signing to mean that we don't bring in a proper DM as well.

I've 2 friends
I stopped reading after the first lie. :roll:

:-P :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

LeGinge (Northern Branch) wrote:
augie wrote:I have no probs with the game evolving (although it is true that I dont like what football has become :( ) and I agree that it is useful to have players who are versatile - what I was commenting on is the remark from quartz where he suggests that chambers is being bought as a midfielder as opposed to a defender where he has spent 95% of his pro career to date

Le Ginge You are right though about sport evolving......Kevin Pietersen didnt start as being english but all of a sudden he became a good player and he became english overnight :shock: :shock: :rubchin: :rubchin: :wink: :lol: :lol:
HAHAHA! I Guess it's a little like Andy Townsend and Tony Cascarino suddenly becoming Irish 8) :wink: :rubchin:
Even better, Cascarino wasn't even vaguely Oirish! He claimed his Granny was. Turned out she wasn't. No Oirish connection in the slightest. He knew. Jack Charlton knew. Hilarious stuff. :lol: :lol:

silus

Post by silus »

markyp wrote:
Revgoon89 wrote:My hope is that TV5 and Jenko will stay, Chambers adds a lot of versatility and means we have some nice depth at the back now. Considering we've already signed three experienced and highly rated players in positions we were lacking, i'm happy to allow us to bring in a player we can develop. Hell, I've been a big critic of how the club is run, but seeing us move early in the summer, spending all this money and actually filling these gaps in our team is very encouraging, especially compared to previous years of inactivity/last minute panic buys.

Feel sorry for Southampton though, it's been great to see them turn their fortunes around and now they've basically lost loads of their best assets, makes me wonder if they'll be able to stay up now.
I don't get the optimism,only sanchez has the wow factor,chambers is totally unproven,ospina is our no2 keeper and debuchy is a down grade on Sagna,all these positions weve moved to fill have been filled with average players bar sanchez and weve paid big money for chambers and debuchy neither of which would play for a top team anyhere else in the world as they aren't good enough,im not slating chambers just saying hes done nothing yet,thats big bucks for 'one for the future'.i wont be happy until we are bringing in the class and depth that city and chavski do each transfer window,we have the money,theres no excuses
I would say we have improved the squad from last season so the optomism understandable.
I Don't know much about Chambers but he seems to be highly rated.
Ospina is obviously an upgrade on Flappy (hard not to be really).
I'd disagree with you about Debuchy...i think he'll be an improvement on the Sagna of the last 2 seasons.
Sanchez is world class.
So far so good imo. Business done early for a change and money being spent.
Work to be done still (especially DM) but positive signs for a change.
I'm optimistic...and I'm usually a right miserable bastard as far as Arsenal goes!! :D

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
T.S wrote:I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I know all about Calum Chambers, because I don't. However, I went on a Southampton forum last night and they are all up in arms (yes I'm aware they could well be biased).

The consensus (it's a far busier forum than this one, and no one disagreed) was that this is an absolute steal for us. They cannot work out why their club is allowing such a talent to go for so cheap (their words, not mine).

Again, I know next to nothing about the kid apart from what I've read. But it could be that we've got a gem on our hands. If he is as versatile as everyone says he is and can play RB or DM, then great. But I do not want his signing to mean that we don't bring in a proper DM as well.

I've 2 friends
I stopped reading after the first line. :roll:

Aaaah yes, a bit like the cover of your book eh!?

:lol: :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

silus wrote:
markyp wrote:

I would say we have improved the squad from last season so the optomism understandable.
I'd disagree with you about Debuchy...i think he'll be an improvement on the Sagna of the last 2 seasons.
Sanchez is world class.
I'm optimistic...and I'm usually a right miserable bastard as far as Arsenal goes!! :D
Also playing with better quality players than the bar-codes have will lift and improve his game. I don't see chambers being used much in the 1st season - except league & FA Cup (early rounds) maybe!?

We still need a Proper World Class Striker and a DMF

But they will not be bought now...wenger thinks he's done enough...and the thought of spending any more of money - even thgough it isn't his - is giving him Nightmares.

:?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

I've 2 friends
I stopped reading after the first lie. :roll:

Aaaah yes!

:lol: :wink:
:barscarf:

:wink:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

silus wrote:
markyp wrote:

I agree. I'm very happy with the players we've bought. Balotelli and one of Martínez/Bender/Schneiderlin/Khedira and I'd even let up on the Wenger-out sentiments for a year, but if we don't fill at least one of those positions we've not moved forward to any great degree,

Sanchez is world class.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

the sad fact is that despite a reasonable transfer window we still havent got a squad that I believe is capable of pushing for the title. It is a squad which Wenger is confident about reaching the top 4 with again and that remains the limit of our ambition.

this is not trying to be negative, just realistic.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Gunner Rob wrote:the sad fact is that despite a reasonable transfer window we still havent got a squad that I believe is capable of pushing for the title. It is a squad which Wenger is confident about reaching the top 4 with again and that remains the limit of our ambition.

this is not trying to be negative, just realistic.
I'd like to think think that we could be in with a chance but I suspect you may be correct. The competition for the top 4 places has become a bit stronger in the last few years and the signings we have made so far would probably keep our noses in front of those who might challenge us for the Champions League places. With a change of manager or at the very worst, a new tactical direction, we could finish first or second but I reckon having Wenger in charge is worth at least 9-12 points a season for other teams around us.

spendsum4uckingmoney

Post by spendsum4uckingmoney »

Wenger wont further improve us. If he signs somebody he will probably sell say a Cazorla and we will be pretty much back to square 1 again. Wenger likes to go into seasons with no pressure.

MrT

Post by MrT »

1989 wrote:
MrT wrote:How can people not differentiate between an out and out striker/goalscorer and a forward/winger? I have no doubt Sanchez will do well but the vast majority of his career has been spent as a winger. We have been crying out for a natural world class striker and not more square pegs in round holes.
Untrue - you have clearly not done your research. Sánchez played/plays through the middle for Udinese and Chile. Only at Barca has he been stuck out on the wing because of Messi. That excites me even more because Alexis hadn't shown his full potential at Barca due to not being used in his best role. Here he will be.
You've clearly not done your research as Di Natale was the main out and out striker at Udinese with Sanchez playing behind him as a No.10. He was also a winger for Chile in the 2010 World Cup.

spike241

Post by spike241 »

Chambers deal is done.
Confirmed by Southampton on twitter

and .com should've checked there first :) Just happened to be browsing the Saints forum at the time