The Summer 2014 TRANSFER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
topgoon

Re: SUMMER 2014 TRANSFER THREAD

Post by topgoon »

DB10GOONER wrote:
T.S wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:Surely even Arsene can see we need to sign another CH? Right? I mean, surely, right?? :|
Why, when you have Nacho Monreal?

And stop calling us all Shirly.
You Frank Maloney's and your sensitive natures! :lol:

:wink:
He said Shirley not Kellie.

Why the f**k is he spelling it with an I and an E. I suppose gender reassignment doesn't stop you from being a south London chav. :oops:

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Kelly and silly and smelly could have been causing confusion maybe :rubchin:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Forget CB, Monreal should only be deployed at LB in emergencies. Which doesn't include fibreglass Gibbs' eight injuries each season. The bloke is a complete liability.

spendsum4uckingmoney

Post by spendsum4uckingmoney »

northbank123 wrote:Forget CB, Monreal should only be deployed at LB in emergencies. Which doesn't include fibreglass Gibbs' eight injuries each season. The bloke is a complete liability.
Gibbs or Monreal? Which is the liability?

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

Apparently we are looking at Costas Manolas to replace TV.

Mentioned him a little while back and wrongly assumed he'd already been snapped up. Would be very happy with him,he's a decent CB,played well at the WC.

If its stops us being linked with Agger even better.

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

spendsum4uckingmoney wrote:
northbank123 wrote:Forget CB, Monreal should only be deployed at LB in emergencies. Which doesn't include fibreglass Gibbs' eight injuries each season. The bloke is a complete liability.
Gibbs or Monreal? Which is the liability?
Given your rather warped view of some of our current and former players, I'd expect you to be Monreal's biggest fan :?

Post by 1989 »

topgoon wrote:Apparently we are looking at Costas Manolas to replace TV.

Mentioned him a little while back and wrongly assumed he'd already been snapped up. Would be very happy with him,he's a decent CB,played well at the WC.

If its stops us being linked with Agger even better.
Wouldn't mind at all. He's a tough bastard. Beast in the air as well.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Read on BBC that Barcelona have admitted Vermaelen can't train because of a WC injury and they currently have no return date for when he can start training.

spendsum4uckingmoney

northbank123 wrote:Read on BBC that Barcelona have admitted Vermaelen can't train because of a WC injury and they currently have no return date for when he can start training.
:lol:

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

northbank123 wrote:Read on BBC that Barcelona have admitted Vermaelen can't train because of a WC injury and they currently have no return date for when he can start training.

This deal starts to sound barmier by the minute.

Glad we got our money,spend it wisely and we are laughing.

Humoresque

Post by Humoresque »

QuartzGooner wrote:When Podolski was tried as a lone striker in our current formation it did not work.
He is a great shooter and an under-rated passer, but he lacks that bit of explosive pace that a Suarez type has, and did not seem accustomed to the back-to-goal holding the ball up work that Giroud does.

I think Podolski would be best as a number 10, but cannot see him getting that role with the others we have.

As part of a two man attack, I think he would get 18 - 20 goals a season.

Playing just off Giroud, or just behind Sanchez....love to see it if we went 4-4-2 or 3-5-2.
so why wasn't this ever done so we'd know for sure before we bought a surplus of small "play making" central type midfielders?

our best finisher, acknowledged by the stubborn manager himself, mostly pulls splinters out of his backside because our manager is too stubborn and proud to change.

and it's been like that for YEARS!

Supagoon

Post by Supagoon »

I'm sure he would have changed if Podolski was a better footballer.

spendsum4uckingmoney

Humoresque wrote:
QuartzGooner wrote:When Podolski was tried as a lone striker in our current formation it did not work.
He is a great shooter and an under-rated passer, but he lacks that bit of explosive pace that a Suarez type has, and did not seem accustomed to the back-to-goal holding the ball up work that Giroud does.

I think Podolski would be best as a number 10, but cannot see him getting that role with the others we have.

As part of a two man attack, I think he would get 18 - 20 goals a season.

Playing just off Giroud, or just behind Sanchez....love to see it if we went 4-4-2 or 3-5-2.
so why wasn't this ever done so we'd know for sure before we bought a surplus of small "play making" central type midfielders?

our best finisher, acknowledged by the stubborn manager himself, mostly pulls splinters out of his backside because our manager is too stubborn and proud to change.

and it's been like that for YEARS!
4-4-2 is dead. Maureen killed it with his bourgeois Stoke tactics.

paulinohio

Post by paulinohio »

back to W M ?

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

topgoon wrote:

This deal starts to sound barmier by the minute.

Glad we got our money,spend it wisely and we are laughing.
The money they've thrown at us for him, Song and Hleb make me feel better about us caving and selling Fabregas so cheap.