The Summer 2014 TRANSFER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Re: SUMMER 2014 TRANSFER THREAD

Post by 1989 »

Humoresque wrote:
QuartzGooner wrote:When Podolski was tried as a lone striker in our current formation it did not work.
He is a great shooter and an under-rated passer, but he lacks that bit of explosive pace that a Suarez type has, and did not seem accustomed to the back-to-goal holding the ball up work that Giroud does.

I think Podolski would be best as a number 10, but cannot see him getting that role with the others we have.

As part of a two man attack, I think he would get 18 - 20 goals a season.

Playing just off Giroud, or just behind Sanchez....love to see it if we went 4-4-2 or 3-5-2.
so why wasn't this ever done so we'd know for sure before we bought a surplus of small "play making" central type midfielders?

our best finisher, acknowledged by the stubborn manager himself, mostly pulls splinters out of his backside because our manager is too stubborn and proud to change.

and it's been like that for YEARS!
Podolski warms the bench for the Germans too. Let's face it, he's a world class finisher but average everywhere else. Can't play upfront on his own. Just not good enough.

Post by 1989 »

Ze Germans are back.

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

1989 wrote:Image

Ze Germans are back.
Topgoon has a sneaky feeling one of those Herrs is actually a Mr :rubchin: :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

1989 wrote:Image

Ze Germans are back.

I didn't know Walcott was a German!? :shock: :wink:

We should sign Martinez or Carvalho :cry:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Benedikt Howedes, Luiz Gustavo & William Carvalho are all high on Arsene Wenger's list. (Telegraph)
11:08pm - 11 Aug 14

spendsum4uckingmoney

Post by spendsum4uckingmoney »

mcdowell42 wrote:Benedikt Howedes, Luiz Gustavo & William Carvalho are all high on Arsene Wenger's list. (Telegraph)

Then why the fuck didnt he sign Gus last season b4 he went to that German club?

augie

Post by augie »

mcdowell42 wrote:Benedikt Howedes, Luiz Gustavo & William Carvalho are all high on Arsene Wenger's list. (Telegraph)

Don't rate Gustavo and don't want him in our club

Midz

Post by Midz »

OneBardGooner wrote:

We should sign Martinez or Carvalho :cry:
Be nice if we signed both :)

Post by 1989 »

Not keen on Howedes, Gustavo is average, Carvalho yes please.

spendsum4uckingmoney

Post by spendsum4uckingmoney »

spendsum4uckingmoney wrote:Mark my words: we wont sign a DMC.
Bump

gp543

Post by gp543 »

What about Mavuba from Lille? I don't think he has been discussed on here much.

Swifty

Post by Swifty »

1989 wrote:
Humoresque wrote:
QuartzGooner wrote:When Podolski was tried as a lone striker in our current formation it did not work.
He is a great shooter and an under-rated passer, but he lacks that bit of explosive pace that a Suarez type has, and did not seem accustomed to the back-to-goal holding the ball up work that Giroud does.

I think Podolski would be best as a number 10, but cannot see him getting that role with the others we have.

As part of a two man attack, I think he would get 18 - 20 goals a season.

Playing just off Giroud, or just behind Sanchez....love to see it if we went 4-4-2 or 3-5-2.
so why wasn't this ever done so we'd know for sure before we bought a surplus of small "play making" central type midfielders?

our best finisher, acknowledged by the stubborn manager himself, mostly pulls splinters out of his backside because our manager is too stubborn and proud to change.

and it's been like that for YEARS!
Podolski warms the bench for the Germans too. Let's face it, he's a world class finisher but average everywhere else. Can't play upfront on his own. Just not good enough.
He needs to play in space, doesn't have the 3 and 4th touch or passing accuracy and timing to play centrally. Out wide and getting space for first touch shots are his forte

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

There's no way we'll sign a DM, Wonga's philosophy is 'we'll outscore our opponents'.......as proven by our games against the big clubs last season!! :banghead:

He still thinks Arteta is good enough and has made him captain.......that says it all.... :roll:

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

I have a serious worry that unless we buy a centre back and/or a defensive midfielder, whilst we will score lots of goals, our defence will be too exposed and we will concede too many to be league winners.
I can honestly envisage a fourth placed season including a 7-1 win for us, and a 6-3 loss for us.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

QuartzGooner wrote:I have a serious worry that unless we buy a centre back and or/a defensive midfielder, whilst we will score lots of goals, our defence will be too exposed and we will concede too many to be league winners.
I can honestly envisage a fourth placed season including a 7-1 win for us, and a 6-3 loss for us.
Exactly, but when I spout this "nonsense" like in the charity shield thread, I get rounded on by the akb's and fickle.

Its commonsense. our main probelms is shielding the defence, with artetas legs often leading to the game passing him by when the oppo break, or flamini, admirable trier though he is, doing something silly. We haven't resolved that issue, and another key issue was cb when kos or mert were injured. Again not solved, especially as the back up option who didn't fit to well has now left.

In an ideal world we would also want an out and out striker.

But the dm then cb are most pressing and given the result vs city, we all know wenger is stubborn enough to think we have enough, when history and common sense says not. I hope the likes of 1989 are right and we will sign a dm, but I doubt it now.

The mist galling thing is we have the money to do it, so why don't we? Even more galling is the fact that we haven't actually spent that much given how much has been recouped in player sales, no more than the likes of the scum usually spend and we are supposed to be on another financial level now.