Back in 1979...

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
GranadaJoe

Re: Back in 1979...

Post by GranadaJoe »

I watched the match with two Victims fans and 5 Mancs.

From calm satisfaction to disbelieving despair (with the Mancs taking the piss) to beautiful Rix, Brady, Sunderland ecstasy.

Was I humble and mature in victory? Was I fuck! I had a Hulk/Tasmanian Devil moment and turned into a mainiacal, aggressive tosser. I later felt a bit embarrassed, but for half an hour it was an amazing adrenalin fuelled bliss.

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

The '79 Final was know as the 5 min Final. The first 85 mins were a drab affair if you weren't a Gooner. But in the end was one of those emotional roller coasters that only footie can produce. Wonderful Brady involved in all 3 goals that day. :barscarf:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I was 7 years old....and was wearing a rosette almost as big as me. The last trophy my old granddad (the first in a line of four generations of Gooners in my family) saw us win before he said his goodbyes

Can remember (just) being in tears for all of a few seconds when United got it back to 2-2

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

Nos89 wrote:...we won an enthralling cup final 3-2, our first trophy in eight years, a period in which we relied on young players and nearly got relegated. The following season we blew the title with 4 games to go, and lost 2 cup finals within a week. We played over 70 games that season. The 79/80 season was very nearly the greatest season in the clubs history but we made the fatal mistake of not building on the foundation of blossoming winning team. The manager Terry Neill eventually left 3 years later through "mutual consent".
The euphoria that surrounds this cup win reminds me of 1979, and it appears that we are not going to learn from our own history. With Wenger poised to sign a new 3 year contract, I've got a horrible feeling the same will happen again. We do have an excellent squad of players but the squad needs bolstering and the manager has shown time and time again a reluctance to do so...this time next year we could be celebrating a triple or drowning our sorrows whilst the club "celebrate" 4th position. We will know by the time we play the community shield how our season will pan out. Enjoy this cup win, as it could be another 8 years before our next one if there is not a change at the top... :barscarf: :barscarf:
Having been at both the 3-2's - and the finals against West Ham & Valencia (and think we also got to the League Quarter or Semi Finals...and just missed out on a UEFA Cup spot by losing the last game of the season...) I'd say that your comparison is wide of the mark....

Terry Neil as a Manager was a disaster...that FA Cup win being his only trophy. Whatever you think about Wenger, the win on Saturday was the 5th time he has won the FA Cup, added to the 3 League titles (including 2 doubles)... Maybe a change would be good, but the risk of leaving Wenger in charge is miniscule compared to what happened under Neil...

Swifty

Post by Swifty »

DB10GOONER wrote:
SPUDMASHER wrote:I have fond memories of the 1979 Final.
I was in hospital all during the week leading up to the game having had my tonsils out. I was 11 years old and the childrens ward only had a black and white TV whereas our one at home was colour. I kicked up such a stink to my dad that the hospital agreed to let me out early provided that I did not get over excitied or shout too much.

I was back home before kick-off and needless to say totally forgot about having to be quiet. My dad, who was a lifelong Spuds fan, seriously regretted his efforts to get me home to watch the game. :lol: :barscarf: :barscarf:
I was liam Brady during our playground kickabouts after that game. What a legend he was :barscarf:
Was a 12 year old in school in Australia in a class of 28 kids and a teacher that all supported Manure. After the weeks of shit in the build up, I loved going in on the Monday! :lol:

I'll never forget Sundo's face as he wheeled away celebrating the winner. Look at his lips - all he is screaming is "Fuuuuck!! Fuck yeah!! Fucking fuck!!!" :lol:

Can't believe I idolised Frank Stapleton back then. Utter cúnt-hog he turned out to be. :| :evil:
Nice one! I was an 11 yo also in Aus - next day my under 12s side played Warners Bay and after leading 2-0 they got back to 2-2 with 5 to go and then i scored in the last minute to make it 3-2 - not 12 hours after we'd won the cup in the same fashion. Wrapped!

Swifty

Post by Swifty »

PS I was always amazed at how Pat Jennings seemed to have a magnet in his gloves - I was a kid though, maybe he was rubbish but I was impressed.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Swifty wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
I was in hospital all during the week leading up to the game having had my tonsils out. I was 11 years old and the childrens ward only had a black and white TV whereas our one at home was colour. I kicked up such a stink to my dad that the hospital agreed to let me out early provided that I did not get over excitied or shout too much.

I was back home before kick-off and needless to say totally forgot about having to be quiet. My dad, who was a lifelong Spuds fan, seriously regretted his efforts to get me home to watch the game. :lol: :barscarf: :barscarf:
I was liam Brady during our playground kickabouts after that game. What a legend he was :barscarf:
Was a 12 year old in school in Australia in a class of 28 kids and a teacher that all supported Manure. After the weeks of shit in the build up, I loved going in on the Monday! :lol:

I'll never forget Sundo's face as he wheeled away celebrating the winner. Look at his lips - all he is screaming is "Fuuuuck!! Fuck yeah!! Fucking fuck!!!" :lol:

Can't believe I idolised Frank Stapleton back then. Utter cúnt-hog he turned out to be. :| :evil:
Nice one! I was an 11 yo also in Aus - next day my under 12s side played Warners Bay and after leading 2-0 they got back to 2-2 with 5 to go and then i scored in the last minute to make it 3-2 - not 12 hours after we'd won the cup in the same fashion. Wrapped!
Ha, brilliant! 8) Junior football in Aus was so well organised in the 1970's. I played for Annerley All Stars in Brisbane from Under 7's and it was a fantastic club. They did a trophy day and team photos at the end of the season. During the league season we'd go to various clubs that organised day-long knock-out "Carnivals". Brilliant days. 8)

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

Swifty wrote:PS I was always amazed at how Pat Jennings seemed to have a magnet in his gloves - I was a kid though, maybe he was rubbish but I was impressed.

Pat Jennings was an amazing goalkeeper. It was a real scandal when he signed for us from the scum!

But I don't think you'll find he wore gloves. I think he was in the Pre-gloves era.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SPUDMASHER wrote:
Swifty wrote:PS I was always amazed at how Pat Jennings seemed to have a magnet in his gloves - I was a kid though, maybe he was rubbish but I was impressed.

Pat Jennings was an amazing goalkeeper. It was a real scandal when he signed for us from the scum!

But I don't think you'll find he wore gloves. I think he was in the Pre-gloves era.
In those days, no keeper wore gloves, but late in his career with us he did indeed wear gloves as had become the norm.

But what an amazing keeper he was. The fucker could fly through the air. For me he was one of our absolute best, up there with Seamo and Bob. I still don't know how we robbed him from the scum. Yeah, he was getting old, but he had some of his best years with us.

Swifty

Post by Swifty »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Swifty wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
I was in hospital all during the week leading up to the game having had my tonsils out. I was 11 years old and the childrens ward only had a black and white TV whereas our one at home was colour.
Ha, brilliant! 8) Junior football in Aus was so well organised in the 1970's. I played for Annerley All Stars in Brisbane from Under 7's and it was a fantastic club. They did a tropihy day and team photos at the end of the season. During the league season we'd go to various clubs that organised day-long knock-out "Carnivals". Brilliant days. 8)
Ah! Gala days and presentation days! The best. I'm still playing for the same club, into my 38th season (Giggs has done nothing) and now I'm playing with my 18 yo son and his mates against lads 20+ years younger but still smashing them at CB. Long time retired.....

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Swifty wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Swifty wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
I was in hospital all during the week leading up to the game having had my tonsils out. I was 11 years old and the childrens ward only had a black and white TV whereas our one at home was colour.
Ha, brilliant! 8) Junior football in Aus was so well organised in the 1970's. I played for Annerley All Stars in Brisbane from Under 7's and it was a fantastic club. They did a tropihy day and team photos at the end of the season. During the league season we'd go to various clubs that organised day-long knock-out "Carnivals". Brilliant days. 8)
Ah! Gala days and presentation days! The best. I'm still playing for the same club, into my 38th season (Giggs has done nothing) and now I'm playing with my 18 yo son and his mates against lads 20+ years younger but still smashing them at CB. Long time retired.....
Quality, mate! :lol: 8) I'm nearly 47 so this is my 40th continuous season of club football. Legs are fucked, ankles fucked, knees shot! I'm fine on match day, but I take about an hour to warm up, get the tape on the ankles, rub the deep heat in and then I cannot walk for about a day and a half afterwards! :lol: But fuck it, I love it. Long time retired - never truer words said. 8)

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

the reason we didn't start a Dynasty under Neill was that we sold Brady to Juve, and so a year later Stapleton buggered off to United to win things (sound familiar ?).

Without Stapleton, who probably was better than smudger as an out and out striker, Sunderland and RIx looked pretty weak.

Woody did a job and scored some great goals, but he just wasn't prolific enough and he had no support (vaessen or chapman) or creativity behind him (robson, Petrovic).

Had O'Neill splashed the cash and replaced Brady and Stapleton with two world class players that team had the bones to be champions, but we didn't and we finished 3rd, and he got sacked... imagine that, 3rd not good enough for The Arsenal ?

looking it up - look at the team - Jennings, Sansom, O'Leary, Paul Davis, John Hollins, Talbot (who was a bit old by then..), Sunderland, Rix, Woodcock.

imho we went for Mariner two years two late or we could have gone for Trevor Francis (hard to imagine now..), and there was a European playmaker we could of had too - but i don't remember ( i was only 14...) - it wasn't platini, maybe an italian ?

whoever, but its the same story, quality sold not replaced, tried to do it on the cheap again. failed.

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

DB10GOONER wrote:
SPUDMASHER wrote:

In those days, no keeper wore gloves, but late in his career with us he did indeed wear gloves as had become the norm.

But what an amazing keeper he was. The fucker could fly through the air. For me he was one of our absolute best, up there with Seamo and Bob. I still don't know how we robbed him from the scum. Yeah, he was getting old, but he had some of his best years with us.
Great keeper, yes. But anyone else remember him trying to do his trademark one handed catch at Oxford Utd one time...and costing us the game. Think they might have even on gone on to win the League Cup?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

MK Gould wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
SPUDMASHER wrote:

Great keeper, yes. But anyone else remember him trying to do his trademark one handed catch at Oxford Utd one time...and costing us the game. Think they might have even on gone on to win the League Cup?
Remember that well - the shitty old Manor Ground where I'm struggling to think if we ever registered a win. Roly poly Langan shooting from miles out and Pat spilling it......a rarity though ! Great keeper

Dodgyknee71

Post by Dodgyknee71 »

SPUDMASHER wrote:

Off topic but TINAAA HAHAHA ;-)