Goodbye Sagna

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
VAVAVOOM 14

Re: Goodbye Sagna

Post by VAVAVOOM 14 »

I'll always remember him for being the epitome of a professional: never once heard about him off the pitch, never once saw him give anything less than 110% on it.

Even though he's leaving, I have no doubt that he is an Arsenal man. I'll always hold him in the highest esteem for remaining with us during the barren years whilst everyone else jumped ship, he could've gone to the top European clubs but he remained here. It's only right that he was finally rewarded for his efforts all these years and broke our drought with the FA Cup win.

An Arsenal legend.

Thank you, Bacary - and farewell.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Agree with VV14 - his professionalism and commitment over the last 7 years has been outstanding. He has been a superb defender for us, although he's never been much of a crosser and his attacking in the last two seasons has been fairly appalling. Wouldn't be a problem at all if we were to upgrade but I can't see that happening.

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

VAVAVOOM 14 wrote:I'll always remember him for being the epitome of a professional: never once heard about him off the pitch, never once saw him give anything less than 110% on it.

Even though he's leaving, I have no doubt that he is an Arsenal man. I'll always hold him in the highest esteem for remaining with us during the barren years whilst everyone else jumped ship, he could've gone to the top European clubs but he remained here. It's only right that he was finally rewarded for his efforts all these years and broke our drought with the FA Cup win.

An Arsenal legend.

Thank you, Bacary - and farewell.
Steady on, you do realize with that word you put him in the same bracket as Lee Dixon,Sansom Winterburn,Lauren and dare I say it A.Cole. Sagna has been good for us but he is in a category below those players.

Poor old Jenko though, looks like he's going to have to work really hard to emerge from Sagna's shadow. In UEFA's eyes anyway http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/ ... ml#2069280 :shock:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

VAVAVOOM 14 wrote: An Arsenal legend.
not.even. close.

Legends are Bergkamp, Henry, wright, adams, o'leary, brady, jennings, vieira, winterburn, dixon, bould, keown, graham, rice, mclintock, George, davis, rocastle, smith, thomas.

you have to serve us a long time, win a lot, or do something really special to qualify as an "Arsenal Legend".

imho even Freddie, Fabregas and Pires don't qualify, nor Petit, Overmars, stapleton, Seaman, Kenneth Samson, Willie Young, Gilberto - all players better than Bac.

Bac = nice guy, steady performer, did a job. wish him well, but NOT a legend.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Clockender1

Would class Pires as an Arsenal legend.

He was only with us for six seasons, but what a player!
Two titles and three FA Cups including a double and the Invincibles.
I class Brady as a legend because of his skills and influence, but do not forget he only won one FA Cup.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

how is george (69-73) a legend above pires (00-06) by your own definition thats bollocks. And yes george did win us a cup, but so did pires v southampton.

in fact ljunberg (98-07) is a longer serving player than most of legends you quoted :shock:

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

clockender1 wrote: Legends are Bergkamp, Henry, wright, adams, o'leary, brady, jennings, vieira, winterburn, dixon, bould, keown, graham, rice, mclintock, George, davis, rocastle, smith, thomas.

you have to serve us a long time, win a lot, or do something really special to qualify as an "Arsenal Legend".

imho even Freddie, Fabregas and Pires don't qualify, nor Petit, Overmars, stapleton, Seaman, Kenneth Samson, Willie Young, Gilberto - all players better than Bac.
Certainly wouldn't disagree with Charlie George being an Arsenal legend, but he was with us for less time than Kenny Samson, and played less than half the number of games! And David Seaman was with us for twice as long as Charlie and played 3 times the number of games...and he also won a trophy or three!

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

clockender1 wrote:
VAVAVOOM 14 wrote: An Arsenal legend.
not.even. close.

Legends are Bergkamp, Henry, wright, adams, o'leary, brady, jennings, vieira, winterburn, dixon, bould, keown, graham, rice, mclintock, George, davis, rocastle, smith, thomas.

Pores, Seaman and Samson are legends by your definition, mate.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Bye Bye Bacs thanks and bon voyage - I hope you do ok(ish) as long as you fuck up BIG time if you ever turn out against The Arsenal....oh! and don't let the door hit you in the back on your way out!. :|

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Am I the only one utterly pissed off with other PL teams, Citeh in particular plundering our players. :oops:

I bear Bac no malice at all, fully agree he has been a total pro, legend or not think all Gooners will stand up for the guy, I wont forget after his horrible injuries he bounced back so well.

However, Citeh in NO WAY need him, he has merely been bought to deprive us of any possibility of us retaining a top player- f**k off citeh you Ba**ards.

I can understand them getting The lesbian Clichy and even (Just..) Greedy but for me this is a step too far- also as said am v surprised so soon after FFP hit them.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

To be honest Citeh haven't done us badly at all. Was delighted to get shot of Clichy and Adebayor, and they overpaid for Nasri considering the circumstances and the fact it was obvious we were never going to hold him to his deal.

It's a hell of a lot of money to pay Sagna (if the reports are true) but they will rationalise that they've saved themselves a few million on the transfer fee so won't mind spreading that out over the course of his deal. I don't think they've signed him just to deprive us and whilst he can still do a job for us Sagna is not a top player. If he was then I think we would be questioning why we aren't offering him that money, not why City are.

VAVAVOOM 14

Post by VAVAVOOM 14 »

clockender1 wrote:
not.even. close.

Sagna is a far better player/defender than Winterburn ever was.

He's not a level below Lauren: Lauren was better at going forward, but not defending - which is more important.

There's no way in hell Pires isn't an Arsenal legend - he won a lot: 2 PL titles and 3 FA Cups in 6 years, that's probably amongst the greatest years/trophies ratio any player has in our history. On top of that, he was one of our greatest ever players in terms of sheer footballing ability.

By your logic Rosicky is an Arsenal legend as he may very well end up being at the club for 10 years or more - which is longer than Vieira, Rocastle, Henry, etc. It also means he'll be eligible for a testimonial.

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

northbank123 wrote:To be honest Citeh haven't done us badly at all. Was delighted to get shot of Clichy and Adebayor, and they overpaid for Nasri considering the circumstances and the fact it was obvious we were never going to hold him to his deal.
I don't think they've signed him just to deprive us and whilst he can still do a job for us Sagna is not a top player.
Fair point re us not doing badly with the first 3 deals, however still makes for 4 players gone there now, feels like we have become a feeder club :oops:
Nah, cant see it, are they signing him in case Zabaletta gets injured or what? Not really sure that despite the rumours he would have got any better deal than we were allegedly offering wth anyone else bar Citeh. :roll:

VAVAVOOM 14

Post by VAVAVOOM 14 »

Theoperator wrote:

Nah, cant see it, are they signing him in case Zabaletta gets injured or what?
This and because he can double up as a CB which means they're getting two players in one - they can refrain from buying a true CB.

You know City - always penny pinching and spending responsibly... :wink:

VAVAVOOM 14

Post by VAVAVOOM 14 »