Serious Question - Can we win the league?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Can we win the league

Yes now we have Sanchez
13%
Yes if we sign another 3 close to world class players
58%
No
29%

Total votes: 62

OneBardGooner

Re: Serious Question - Can we win the league?

Post by OneBardGooner »

Option 2...Sanchez is an excellent signing but we need to sort out our mid-field now -Arteta is too old, his legs have gone and he cannot possibly play at the top level for all season....We need a Holding/defensive Mid-fielder and a Goalie who does his talking on the pitch not on twatter etc all the time.

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

No, not for 3 years but we can definitely win cups till then.

MutleyGooner

Post by MutleyGooner »

Can we win the league? Yes
Will we win the league? No

essem

Post by essem »

Yes, just need 2 more signings and they don't have to be world class

Riotof91

Post by Riotof91 »

With Wenger? Don't think so.

Our defensive problems are mostly organizational & tactical, not to mention the bottler mentality, all down to the manager. BUT to give him credit he does seem to have turned a corner on our transfer dealing & seems to finally be adressing our injury record, this along with us playing less possession football and more effective football, dare i say, i actually think he's learning his lessons & evolving :shock: Let's see how much he's learned.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

essem wrote:Yes, just need 2 more signings and they don't have to be world class
funnily enough that has been the case for TEN years now and the reason we never win the league is because those 2 players are never signed.

I thought everyone realised that by now :roll:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

No. Not with Arsene in charge. And it saddens me to say that as I still don't hate the man. Even if we sign 2 or 3 more world class players we are still handicapped by Arsene's tactical shitness and refusal to be pragmatic and drop the 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 bollocks and the zonal defending fuckwackery. :roll:

Annoyingly, we are close to having a team that could win it. But then you look at things like those mentioned above and basic dumb things like playing our best finisher (Pod) as a winger and using a slow one-paced 2nd striker as a 1st striker in a 4-5-1 and you just lose all hope tbh... :| :(

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:No. Not with Arsene in charge. And it saddens me to say that as I still don't hate the man. Even if we sign 2 or 3 more world class players we are still handicapped by Arsene's tactical shitness and refusal to be pragmatic and drop the 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 bollocks and the zonal defending fuckwackery. :roll:

Annoyingly, we are close to having a team that could win it. But then you look at things like those mentioned above and basic dumb things like playing our best finisher (Pod) as a winger and using a slow one-paced 2nd striker as a 1st striker in a 4-5-1 and you just lose all hope tbh... :| :(
:lol: :lol: :lol: Great phrase!

So basically you're saying F8ck Off Wenger Please!. :? :D

North-Bank-1987

Post by North-Bank-1987 »

Hello all not been on in a while, I thought with so much good news recently :shock: I should reappear.

I've voted no, hatred from the manager aside, I don't think he is charismatic enough to win top honours with us again. I would love to be proved wrong but think it will be another season like this year, we'll do well and gain form when we play lesser teams, and fcuk it up when we meet a Chelski or citeh. The victims will struggle to get back in CL. United worry me this year, with no European games and a new manager, who knows?

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

DB10GOONER wrote:No. Not with Arsene in charge. And it saddens me to say that as I still don't hate the man. Even if we sign 2 or 3 more world class players we are still handicapped by Arsene's tactical shitness and refusal to be pragmatic and drop the 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 bollocks and the zonal defending fuckwackery. :roll:

I agree, find it a bit ridiculous when people say we are only 3 or 4 world class players from being good enough. Southampton and Everton are only 3 or 4 world class players from being good enough. Barring our suicidal tactics and mental meltdowns in the big games there wasn't a lot separating us from the winners last year, we've already added a quality player in Sanchez and this squad has a lot more to offer than under Wenger's rigid approach. Obviously we need cover at GK and CB (especially if Vermaelen goes) but other than that we are 2 or 3 ASTUTE signings away from being as theoretically capable as anybody imo.

Of course that's not to say we would win it or even get seriously close even if we did make those signings, by virtue of the systematic shortcomings in various areas in the club.

Humoresque

Post by Humoresque »

Gunnersaurus wrote:
falkirk goon wrote:Not a chance :( we wont get anywhere near it as long as le bumhole is in charge, we know what his target is every season. If someone offered me any one of the domestic cups this season id bite their hand off, that is the ceiling of my ambition as long as le bumhole is here.
You are so last week...

so are Wenger's outdated tactics.

seriously, how many millions and millions have we paid him since we "won the league 3 times" ???

the game has passed him by, and he's more concerned with 4th place and his bonus for a proper balance sheet.

guybwood49

Post by guybwood49 »

Yes we can. Keep Theo fit to give us some pace, Ramsey will only get better and better with age
hopefully Giroud will get his usual 20 goats a season, and now with Sanchez adding to an already
very strong squad (except for injuries) we can win it

Come on you Reds, make it happen... Champions 2014/15, :D :barscarf:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

guybwood49 wrote:Yes we can. Keep Theo fit to give us some pace, Ramsey will only get better and better with age
hopefully Giroud will get his usual 20 goats a season, and now with Sanchez adding to an already

20 goals? He's scored 11 and 16 goals in his 2 PL seasons, and that's been starting basically every game.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

northbank123 wrote:
guybwood49 wrote:Yes we can. Keep Theo fit to give us some pace, Ramsey will only get better and better with age

20 goals? He's scored 11 and 16 goals in his 2 PL seasons, and that's been starting basically every game.

??

He never mentioned goals, he was referring to goats - perhaps Giroud is of Irish decent ?

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

As already stated the core is there, we are 2 / 3 decent upgrades away from truly having a good shout but that has been the case for many seasons.

I'll judge this question in May.
Last edited by StuartL on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.