Bergkamp was overrated or "WUM 101"

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
spendsum4uckingmoney

Bergkamp was overrated or "WUM 101"

Post by spendsum4uckingmoney »

controversial I know but I dont think he was in the league of Henry/Viera. Hell i'd put Shearer ahead of Bergkamp just for the shear consistency.

He scored amazing goals and I can understand why he is a fan favourite but IMO Ibrahimovic is on a different level. He was a great player no doubt but not A* top draw quality. Can anyone here truly justify him as being in the same league as Messi/Ibra/Ronaldo (both)?

He didn't have the burst of pace that Henry had and he played in the era of where football had yet evolved to whereby every touch is scrutinized and as such it is tempting to be nostalgic.

gp543

Re: Bergkamp was overrated

Post by gp543 »

F**k off you WUM. Go back to Glory Glory.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Just trying far too hard.

Post by 1989 »

I agree totally. Only Özil is more overrated. Would take the accomplished Alex Song over both any day of the week.

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

I have tried to debate with you regarding some of your incredibly strange comments but now you are just taking the piss.

Please go away. :cussing:

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

He was one of the most insightful passers of the ball in football history.
His ball control was incredible.
His creativity outlandish.

Remember that he played for us until he was about 36.
So yes, in his last few seasons he slowed down.
And yes, he scored less goals because he was a sharp cookie and knew that the team would benefit by him being the provider for Henry.
And yes, he had the odd bad day at the office.

Perhaps it can be said that only Garrincha, Pele, Cruyff and Maradonna were the ultimate elite level players, with Messi and Ronaldo having every chance of joining them by the end of their careers.

But Bergkamp was up there with a lot of other greats, perhaps at a very slightly less exalted level such as Di Stefano, Best, Eusebio, Zico, Zidane, Maldini, Henry etc.

bang goes the 0-0 draw

Post by bang goes the 0-0 draw »

Fair play to getting that many posts on the board while being a WUM. Thats some great dedication there :high5:

spendsum4uckingmoney

QuartzGooner wrote:He was one of the most insightful passers of the ball in football history.
His ball control was incredible.
His creativity outlandish.

Remember that he played for us until he was about 36.
So yes, in his last few seasons he slowed down.
And yes, he scored less goals because he was a sharp cookie and knew that the team would benefit by him being the provider for Henry.
And yes, he had the odd bad day at the office.

Perhaps it can be said that only Garrincha, Pele, Cruyff and Maradonna were the ultimate elite level players, with Messi and Ronaldo having every chance of joining them by the end of their careers.

But Bergkamp was up there with a lot of other greats, perhaps at a very slightly less exalted level such as Di Stefano, Best, Eusebio, Zico, Zidane, Maldini, Henry etc.
I think Zidane was overrated to tbf

I am not saying Bergy was never world class just that the standard has gotten greater, with freaks like Messi and Ronaldo. Also the leagues got harder around 2004 onward, with more foreign players.

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

i agree. Frannie Jeffers or Glenn Helder were much better :banghead:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

seriously must be better ways to get attention ,I find it very sad

spendsum4uckingmoney

Tier A* Messi, CR, Pele etc
Tier A Ibrahimovic, Ronaldo
Tier A- Thiery Henry, Xavi, Iniesta, Ronaldinho
Tier B+ Zidane, Bergkamp (I think Bergy would be ahead of Zid slightly)
Tier B Giggs Scholes
Just a rough guide to of what I think but I think it was innevitable that C.Ronaldo would eclipse Henry and there will be someone who eclipses Messi in the future.

Tier F Ozil.....just kidding. F is for Flappihandski.
Last edited by spendsum4uckingmoney on Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

Mr Durham, Topgoon bids you welcome and would like to say :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

and also :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
and finally :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
it's not difficult this attention seeking lark is it :wink:

gp543

Post by gp543 »

Ibrahimovic a better footballer than Bergkamp? No chance.

silus

Post by silus »

Brilliant....your funniest yet :lol: :lol: ....keep up the good work, but i think you may have peaked with this one...not sure how you could possibly top "Bergkamp over rated" :rubchin: