The media whores, who they love & hate

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
North-Bank-1987

The media whores, who they love & hate

Post by North-Bank-1987 »

Hello all,

After underestimating the stupidity of individuals working at BT sport with that repulsive advert, it got me thinking I'd like to raise some discussion on how the media are bias toward certain clubs and hate others.

Take utd. for example, if we were in their situation you would hear no end of it from every source. Even the bin dippers epic fail last season, went away without any 'bottler' headlines? I naturally think that we are the most hated team in the prem.

Has anyone noticed any specific paper/sports channel that is continually bias toward any team, or on the contrary noticed any fondness?

Look forward to your opinions, Cheers 8)

the playing mantis

Re: The media whores, who they love & hate

Post by the playing mantis »

i think the media give wenger a remarkably easy time.

arsenal have plenty of friends in the media, patrick barclay for starters.

matt hughes in the times write up of last nights game was pretty biased though. i know wew ere poor, but he intimated we were lucky not to get battered and brushed over the chances we had. very strange

tony cascarino on the other hand was saying giroud has it in him to be a top striker nad thinks he could be but hes not sure he has the confidence.

strange.

gary jacob in the times is the most blatant biased y*d you could wish to read. scandalous that he gets to write on them or arsenal as hes so biased. but if you ever see him you can tell what a moron he is he just looks a proper *word censored*.

james olley in the standard is a y*d but is very fair and knows they are shit and is fair to us.

tom collomose in the standard is another idiot. boring articles anti arsenal, crap cricket correspondent, cant buy a suit that fits him and looks half sharp.

theres also darren francis in the mirror whos just plain retarded. another scummer i think.

bt sorts advert is just a load of crap and out to get us, and they are amateurish and will fail ultimately, with that boring monotone owen.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Henry Winter in the Telegraph leans towards Man Utd, but not blindly and will not shy away from criticism.
A very good and clever writer.

WE8SPURS

Post by WE8SPURS »

For much of my adult life there has been the whole Manure love-in but I'm hoping a lot of that was because of old Strawberry nose and that under sloth with their demise still ongoing this may come to an end at some point.

Maureen is the biggest shit c*nt ever to grace the prem but the media are litterally tripping over themselves to be the first to rim him and hang on every word that comes out of the spunk bubbles mouth. Some of the stuff he's lauded for Arsene (rightly or wrongly) would be slaughtered for.

Then you've got the BBC :banghead: If Arsenal beat the victims you could bet your bottom dollar that pair of tards Hansen and Lawrenson would be missing however if they beat us we'd have to listen to them waxing lyrical about the mighty reds. This was made all the more irritating due to the fact Lawrenson's face looks like an old mans hairy ball bag (I imagine, although not too frequently).

It would appear that we are as a club the most despised in the modern era but I actually like it that way. I don't want us to be the medias love child nor do I want us to be everyones 'second club' and it makes it all the more sweet when we actually manage to win something. Historically we have always done better with our backs against the wall and I remember seeing some of the talks Graham gave the players where he used this as a catalyst to motivate the players. Unfortunately I don't think Wenger could motivate an Ethiopian at an all you can eat buffet :roll: :lol:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Every club thinks the media hates them.

Their two favourites are United and Liverpool - because of the number of fans those clubs have and how much media coverage matters to them (especially the Victims). To be fair they really stuck the boot in against United last year, this summer it's been a mass van Gaal tug-off but after one game everyone is suddenly obsessed with how they're doing again. Ultimately however they're doing, they will be top story or thereabouts, it sells papers and gets views. Liverpool, on the other hand, get an exceptionally easy ride because their fans are a group of precious yet deluded pricks and the media is stuffed with arrogant ex-Liverpool wankers.

As for us, although we are by no means their favourites I don't think the media necessarily hates us. We have been perfect for them the last few years with patches of great and awful form ultimately resulting in a distant 3rd/4th. It means they can praise us to high heaven when it's good which most of our fans love reading and get carried away with, and they'll gleefully rub it in when we blow it or are on a low, which all other fans love reading and the negative buggers amongst us regard with more than a bit of smugness. We're an established club with a huge fan base and neutrals generally have an opinion on Arsenal one way or another, so the media are happy for us to be doing well enough to be in the spotlight, just not winning stuff. There was probably a collective groan as Ramsey scored the FA Cup winner last year.

The likes of City and Chelsea will only be useful to them so long as they are teams playing at the highest level - if either of them dropped out of top 4 and genuinely weren't good enough to think about mounting a title challenge the following season (like United) they would attract barely any column inches or radio time. Everton will always be fairly popular as only Liverpool fans dislike them, but won't get much attention unless they're doing particularly well.

remigardeshair

Post by remigardeshair »

Amy Lawrence in the Observer / Guardian is a big Arsenal fan, and a good journalist too, her articles are always very balanced whoever she is writing about.

She's done well considering that she started life off writing for some shitty Arsenal fanzine back in the day, I forget its name......

REB

Post by REB »

remigardeshair wrote:Amy Lawrence in the Observer / Guardian is a big Arsenal fan, and a good journalist too, her articles are always very balanced whoever she is writing about.

She's done well considering that she started life off writing for some shitty Arsenal fanzine back in the day, I forget its name......
1 nil down 2-1 up ?
wasnt that started by the sky sports news guy who,s name is now gone from me :?

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

My Liverpool supporting brother believes the media hate them , he believes the Suarez transfer was orchestrated by the British media. Despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary he believes the British media delighted in Liverpool not winning the premier League last season.

We all have a victim complex when it comes to the media and our club.

In answer to the question posed in the thread. The media do love Liverpool, it is unusual for them to deviate from that. There was a love of Fergie's Man Utd that was partly fear driven. As much as I detest Chelsea I feel that they never got the credit for what they won from the media. I know they bought success but they still achieved it.

Always felt the media praise for Wenger and Arsenal under Wenger was generally tinged with a desire to see us /him fail and a delight when we/he did fail.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

REB wrote:
remigardeshair wrote:Amy Lawrence in the Observer / Guardian is a big Arsenal fan, and a good journalist too, her articles are always very balanced whoever she is writing about.

1 nil down 2-1 up ?
:oops: :oops: :oops:

No, he means Amy used to write for The Gooner!! (You obviously wasn't a reader back then Reb. :lol:) I think the person you are talking about is Guy Havord. 8)

North-Bank-1987

Post by North-Bank-1987 »

Thanks for your responses, very interesting.

I didn't know that Amy Lawrence used to write for The Gooner :shock: love reading her articles, as remigardeshair said there very well balanced.

I like Tony Cascarino (The Times), always very fair and has a good knowledge of football.
WE8SPURS wrote: Then you've got the BBC :banghead: If Arsenal beat the victims you could bet your bottom dollar that pair of tards Hansen and Lawrenson would be missing however if they beat us we'd have to listen to them waxing lyrical about the mighty reds. This was made all the more irritating due to the fact Lawrenson's face looks like an old mans hairy ball bag (I imagine, although not too frequently).
:lol: I couldn't agree more, Shearers also a compete moron, he comes across as so arrogant and 9/10 times has no basis or fact in his argument.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

QuartzGooner wrote:Henry Winter in the Telegraph leans towards Man Utd, but not blindly and will not shy away from criticism.
A very good and clever writer.
A Good and mostly balanced Journalist - Unlike that sycophant john cross.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Don't like seeing Winter on the tv because he comes over as an upper-class pompous cock who fell into sport writing through his privileged education (and probably personal family contacts) but has no real understanding of the game. The guy had his tongue so far up Fergie's arse he could probably tell you what hair product the scotsman put on his barnet via taste alone!! :oops: Don't know if he comes across better in print because, needless to say, I don't buy The Telegraph. 8)

Although I despise the Daily Mail my favourite Sports writer (long before he went there) is Martin Samuels. Even though I don't always agree with his point of view, he generally writes and analyses Sport, and also the politics surrounding it, very well.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

I Hate Hleb wrote:
REB wrote:

1 nil down 2-1 up ?
:oops: :oops: :oops:

No, he means Amy used to write for The Gooner!! (You obviously wasn't a reader back then Reb. :lol:) I think the person you are talking about is Guy Havord. 8)

Amy was, I seem to recall, a member of the Yorkshire Arsenal Supporters Club, she also wrote a book- 12 nil to the Arsenal and a goal in Injury time recalling 12 magic matches in our history.
Used to really enjoy her Gooner articles too.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Top quality writing from Henry Winter about the Dortmund game

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... rmans.html

Offside

Post by Offside »

The media is weird with Arsenal. They are happy to point out Wenger's faults and flaws but at the same time, they have a go at the fans for being fickle when we have a go at Wenger.

They love Liverpool. Loads of them grew up as young journos when Liverpool were dominating at home and abroad. They were absolutely desperate for them to win the title last season. The coverage in the final months was absolutely mind-boggling. Then this week they were all starry-eyed about Liverpool being back in the Champions League and those "European nights at Anfield". Anyone who values sanity was absolutely delighted when they blew it.