Hull Tigers at home

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Hull Tigers at home

Post by DB10GOONER »

I'm with g88ner 100% on Captain Stupid not playing to the whistle. Not surprised he stopped like that - he's all about the hysterical yelling and waving of arms. Fucking moron. Yes, it was a blatant foul. But you play until the fucking ref gives the free. Shocked at Mert also stopping - thought he would know better.

Mert was shocking for their other goal too. I'm unconvinced about him. Not sure if it's a world cup hangover type dip in form or if he is a bit of a flat track bully. People say he makes up for his lack of pace with his positioning and reading of the game, but I'd offer that he only really looks great at positioning against shit teams and is often shown up against the better sides. Maybe. :|

Thought Chesney was a bit poor for both goals.

Sanchez was brilliant for Welbeck's goal. How long has it been since we saw a Gunner dribble through and set up a goal like that? Good finish from Welbeck too, knew he was gonna get hit, but kept the head. 8)

Anyone that thought we played well has a very different definition of the word "well" from mine. We were lethargic and slow. We have no killer instinct. We will scrap for 4th and get it only because (yet again) the teams around us are that little bit shitter.

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

I don't think Chesney could do anything about the second goal. I doubt any keeper would have got that. You can lay the blame at the feet of the defenders and the idiot that thought Monreal could play at CB.

We were fucking awful and have been for most of this season.

We actually have a decent squad in terms of ability. Our biggest problem is that we can never field a full strength team because of injuries. Why do we sign so many injury prone players? :banghead:

Wenger needs to develop an alternate style of play that we can switch in to when things are not going well fir us. Every other manager in the league has this in their armoury, we simply don't. When you play against Arsenal you know exactly what you are going to get. Whilst we continue to do that even the bottom teams will know how to stop us. They'll all be happy to finish the game with the same point that they started it with and I fear they'll be very successful at doing so.

My biggest fear for this season is that the scum will finish above us. When that happens there will be rioting in the streets.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

SPUDMASHER wrote:I don't think Chesney could do anything about the second goal. I doubt any keeper would have got that. You can lay the blame at the feet of the defenders and the idiot that thought Monreal could play at CB.

We actually have a decent squad in terms of ability. Our biggest problem is that we can never field a full strength team because of injuries. Why do we sign so many injury prone players? :banghead:

Wenger needs to develop an alternate style of play that we can switch in to when things are not going well fir us. Every other manager in the league has this in their armoury, we simply don't. When you play against Arsenal you know exactly what you are going to get. Whilst we continue to do that even the bottom teams will know how to stop us. They'll all be happy to finish the game with the same point that they started it with and I fear they'll be very successful at doing so.

My biggest fear for this season is that the scum will finish above us. When that happens there will be rioting in the streets.
Not even remotely worried about that. The facts are these - we are 7th and barely off the CL places despite winning 2 games and being absolutely gash all season. Sperz are a sorry bunch of muppets - their defence with Dier, Kaboul etc at the weekend looked every bit as shit as ours did when we play away to the big teams.

Chelsea and City are so far head and shoulders above the rest of the teams I actually think this season will be as embarrassing for the others as it was for year after year in the SPL when Rangers and Celtic were out of sight by Christmas.

Liverpool can't replace Suarez's goals, their defence is shaky, they've blown all the money on average Joes and have the disruptive influence of not so Super Mario, a man yet to score this season in the PL

Everton are showing what all teams on their budget do if you go for the Europa League - you fade and die in the league

United are flattering to deceive - they have had the easiest of all starts and many were predicting they could have maximum points after 8 games.....but they've already dropped points to the likes of Swansea, Leicester and Burnley and were bloody lucky against West Ham too. They will get pounded by both Chavski and Citeh in the coming weeks and will be back in 'crisis' mode come December

I still us as being top four. Somewhere along the line there will be a run of 10 or so undefeated games against low level shit......and that's the problem, all the while it happens nothing changes.

The Spuds have had infinitely better sides than their present one and still blown up at the death. 3 more years minimum of the 4th placed trophy

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

SPUDMASHER wrote:I don't think Chesney could do anything about the second goal. I doubt any keeper would have got that. You can lay the blame at the feet of the defenders and the idiot that thought Monreal could play at CB.

I think Wenger needs to change the style of play completely, not only for when things are going wrong.

SPARKSY

Post by SPARKSY »

Not even remotely worried about that. The facts are these - we are 7th and barely off the CL places despite winning 2 games and being absolutely gash all season. Sperz are a sorry bunch of muppets - their defence with Dier, Kaboul etc at the weekend looked every bit as shit as ours did when we play away to the big teams.

Chelsea and City are so far head and shoulders above the rest of the teams I actually think this season will be as embarrassing for the others as it was for year after year in the SPL when Rangers and Celtic were out of sight by Christmas.

Liverpool can't replace Suarez's goals, their defence is shaky, they've blown all the money on average Joes and have the disruptive influence of not so Super Mario, a man yet to score this season in the PL

Everton are showing what all teams on their budget do if you go for the Europa League - you fade and die in the league

United are flattering to deceive - they have had the easiest of all starts and many were predicting they could have maximum points after 8 games.....but they've already dropped points to the likes of Swansea, Leicester and Burnley and were bloody lucky against West Ham too. They will get pounded by both Chavski and Citeh in the coming weeks and will be back in 'crisis' mode come December

I still us as being top four. Somewhere along the line there will be a run of 10 or so undefeated games against low level shit......and that's the problem, all the while it happens nothing changes.

The Spuds have had infinitely better sides than their present one and still blown up at the death. 3 more years minimum of the 4th placed trophy[/quote]

I agree with you. However, is it not so completely deflating to be in mid Oct and know that we are playing for 4th place again. 11 points behind Chelsea and we know we don't have a prayer of getting near the title, even after spending big money this summer.
The reason for this is totally down to the French bloke. A team that is clearly lop sided in favour of forward players, a complete lack of defenders (playing Monreal at CB beacuse there is no one else is scandalous) and absolutely no idea of tactics.
Until he leaves the onlt trophies we can seriously consider are the 2 domestics, one of which we are already out of :banghead:
Groundhog Day again.

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

gp543 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:Image

About time this point got highlighted. Every time we get a corner and I hear that mild ripple of excitement from the fans I think to myself "why?"

A lot gets made of our defensive lack of concentration at set plays but I think our attacking set plays are absolutely fucking woeful. We could have 30 corners in a game and fail to have a chance worthy of the name from them

Let Santi dolly one up in the air with no pace and stand back whilst their CB heads it to safety or fail to get it past the first defender. Yesterday saw this repeated time after time - utterly fucking pointless....we might as well let the oppo have a goal kick and win it back in midfield

Another example of the 'under coaching' of this team - look at the stats for those past few seasons. Pathetic
I have no understanding why we hit outswingers. They are miles easier for the opposition to defend and require more contact to score on than inswingers. Infuriating.
Maybe something to do with a lack of height as well- every corner BFG gets held down (Literally too often) and no one else is tall enough to do much.

Why would we aim for Wilshere Santi/ Ozil/ Alexis/ Ox all far too short, Welbeck/ Rambo not terribly good headers, Gibbs/ Monreal Pod Chambers pretty shit at attacking headers, Kos is about the only one with the occasional clever run in.

Same with free kicks, apart from Santi in the FA cup and Alexis in the league cup its been terrible for ages, I hardly get excited at free kicks these days either :|

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

bould, keown and adams used to take turns to run to the near post to flick it on - no reason per, kos, welbeck, etc couldn't practice it.

wonga however, doesn't believe the %'s in set pieces are worthy of practice.

despite who his #2 is.

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

That says more about his no 2 than it does Wenger.

Another traffic cone in the making which is shocking.