PL Legends - Tony Adams

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
nut flush gooner

PL Legends - Tony Adams

Post by nut flush gooner »

Just been re run on sky. What a defender, what a leader.

Something that has been lacking from Arsenal for many years now.

VAVAVOOM 14

Re: PL Legends - Tony Adams

Post by VAVAVOOM 14 »

Here it is if anyone wants to watch -

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xubo23 ... dams_sport

augie

Post by augie »

Was always my favourite Gooner player but he did drop down (in my list) in recent years when he started going through his weird philosophical view of life stage :roll: I have to say that sometimes listening to him being interviewed is damn hard work - the passion that made him such a great player and leader, seems to have gone and been replaced with a kind of condescending "I can see things better than the rest of you" aura :roll:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:Was always my favourite Gooner player but he did drop down (in my list) in recent years when he started going through his weird philosophical view of life stage :roll: I have to say that sometimes listening to him being interviewed is damn hard work - the passion that made him such a great player and leader, seems to have gone and been replaced with a kind of condescending "I can see things better than the rest of you" aura :roll:
Two points there, augie;

1. His weird philisophical thing probably saved his life. It is a crutch that got him through the worst of his addiction. Most addicts only get out of addiction by either replacing one addiction for another less harmful one or having an epiphony and wholescale change of world view that makes them philisophical to some degree. Unfortunately that second option often seems to the rest of us to be just plain weird arsehole-ness. :lol: My mate Alski went through all these stages before he drank himself to death and TBH there were times I wanted to put his lights out God forgive me. :|

2. Most top top players have egos to match their talent. Whilst I always loved TA6 as a player and particularly as our captain I've never ever seen him interviewed without thinking "what a cocky arrogant cúnt!" :lol: :wink:

But fuck it, he has earned the right in my eyes, as I'm pretty sure he has in your too. Absolute one club Legend with a capital "L". They absofuckinglutely just don't make them like him anymore. 8)

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

augie wrote:Was always my favourite Gooner player but he did drop down (in my list) in recent years when he started going through his weird philosophical view of life stage :roll: I have to say that sometimes listening to him being interviewed is damn hard work - the passion that made him such a great player and leader, seems to have gone and been replaced with a kind of condescending "I can see things better than the rest of you" aura :roll:

What the fuck don't you moan about, all this later stuff has nothing to do with what he was as a player :roll:

Anyhow THE ONLY player I hold up as an Arsenal legend that I have seen play 8)

VAVAVOOM 14

Post by VAVAVOOM 14 »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:

What the fuck don't you moan about, all this later stuff has nothing to do with what he was as a player :roll:

Why is that?

remigardeshair

Post by remigardeshair »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Two points there, augie;

1. His weird philisophical thing probably saved his life. It is a crutch that got him through the worst of his addiction. Most addicts only get out of addiction by either replacing one addiction for another less harmful one or having an epiphony and wholescale change of world view that makes them philisophical to some degree. Unfortunately that second option often seems to the rest of us to be just plain weird arsehole-ness. :lol: My mate Alski went through all these stages before he drank himself to death and TBH there were times I wanted to put his lights out God forgive me. :|
Absolutely nail on the head right there - Part of his recovery is an awakening to a spirituality which will have changed him inordinately, so all of a sudden he was playing the piano and reading Shakespeare instead of screaming blue murder at a linesman for not calling an offside, and on the face of it, looks like weird arseholeness.

But he's alive, sober and happy.

I'm also a weird arsehole :barscarf:

Loved him as a player, the goal against Everton in the title clincher in 98 is possibly my all time favourite Arsenal moment, the goal and subsequent celebration were magnificent.

Peeman

Post by Peeman »

Always thought he was a world class defender until I actually saw him in the flesh and saw the organizing and marshalling he did off camera. Then I realized he was not world class - he was one of the greatest defenders of all time :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Peeman wrote:Always thought he was a world class defender until I actually saw him in the flesh and saw the organizing and marshalling he did off camera. Then I realized he was not world class - he was one of the greatest defenders of all time :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
Bang on. The first time I saw him play in the flesh I was amazed at the amount of talking he did to the rest of the back 4. Constantly encouraging, moving them as a unit, pointing out possible problems. You just don't see that on TV where they only focus on the action (obviously). Best thing about TA6 in that role was he did it without resorting to the wánky Flamoney-style hysterical screaming and affected gesticulating.

As a player TA6 went in where it hurt, never flinched and led by example. Legend. 8)

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Peeman wrote:Always thought he was a world class defender until I actually saw him in the flesh and saw the organizing and marshalling he did off camera. Then I realized he was not world class - he was one of the greatest defenders of all time :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
Bang on. The first time I saw him play in the flesh I was amazed at the amount of talking he did to the rest of the back 4. Constantly encouraging, moving them as a unit, pointing out possible problems. You just don't see that on TV where they only focus on the action (obviously). Best thing about TA6 in that role was he did it without resorting to the wánky Flamoney-style hysterical screaming and affected gesticulating.

As a player TA6 went in where it hurt, never flinched and led by example. Legend. 8)
Exactly. Now you'd think that a man who'd worked 30 years in football would have known that a defender continually talking and taking charge is the secret to a defensive unit being successful. But as he only ever inherited that famous back 5 he never had to put it in place which is why he can't do it now.
Zonal marking my arse :banghead:

augie

Post by augie »

That's a bit harsh - I loved the guy as a player (didn't I say that above ?) and my comments in no way were meant to diminish that. Maybe I judge the guy by different standards than I do other players - I looked at him and seen a totally committed Arsenal player who would have put his body on the line for our club every day of the week, but now I look at him and don't see the same passion for the club or anger at the way the club is being run and as a born winner I would have expected him to be very frustrated by that. Because of the change in his personality I see a guy that doesn't seem to be bothered (at least on the outside) at the trophyless run and that saddens me if it is the case because he was always the type of player than fans could connect to and as one such fan, I was hoping that he more than any other ex-player would feel our pain.

Btw, you wouldn't consider Bergkamp and PV4 as Arsenal legends ?? Seriously ?? :shock: :shock:

VAVAVOOM 14

Post by VAVAVOOM 14 »

Eboue-Why? wrote:
Exactly. Now you'd think that a man who'd worked 30 years in football would have known that a defender continually talking and taking charge is the secret to a defensive unit being successful. But as he only ever inherited that famous back 5 he never had to put it in place which is why he can't do it now.
Zonal marking my arse :banghead:
That's unfair and untrue: Lauren, Campbell, Toure, and A.Cole (academy) were a defensive unit built by Wenger. ..I think you'll find they were a decent one, too.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

augie wrote:

That's a bit harsh - I loved the guy as a player (didn't I say that above ?) and my comments in no way were meant to diminish that. Maybe I judge the guy by different standards than I do other players - I looked at him and seen a totally committed Arsenal player who would have put his body on the line for our club every day of the week, but now I look at him and don't see the same passion for the club or anger at the way the club is being run and as a born winner I would have expected him to be very frustrated by that. Because of the change in his personality I see a guy that doesn't seem to be bothered (at least on the outside) at the trophyless run and that saddens me if it is the case because he was always the type of player than fans could connect to and as one such fan, I was hoping that he more than any other ex-player would feel our pain.

Btw, you wouldn't consider Bergkamp and PV4 as Arsenal legends ?? Seriously ?? :shock: :shock:
Not harsh at all, you've proved my point by going on about his personal problems way after he finished playing and why the fuck would he moan about the club he loves :roll:

And why the fuck would he agree with you and your views, you basically dislike him now because he doesn't slag the club off 24 hours a day like you do.

PV4 tried to engineer a move away from Arsenal for years so fuck him, I loved DB but he wasn't at the level of commitment as TA.

Carry on.

bobbybigb

Post by bobbybigb »

Strange, i think, how our perception of a legend can differ so much. Imo Tony is without doubt a true legend.....everything you dream of, talent and loyalty and true love for the club, the badge and us the supporters.
Had a similar debate with a spuds mate of mine, he waffled on about Greaves,Hoddle, Ardiles and names that if you were unfortunate to have been born into the dark side would be obvious candidates. He then mentioned Tony Galvin ...... Tony fucking who ???? A legend by all accounts.
He countered my pissing of pants by mentioning Perry Groves who i argued was a legend like Tony Adams but not as big a legend (maybe like Tony Galvin compared to Hoddle)
In the eyes of the beholder i guess !!!!

VAVAVOOM 14

Post by VAVAVOOM 14 »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote: PV4 tried to engineer a move away from Arsenal for years so fuck him, I loved DB but he wasn't at the level of commitment as TA.

Carry on.
But surely David Seaman is a bonafide legend, too?

How about Keown and Rocastle?