Anderlecht at home

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Chippy

Anderlecht at home

Post by Chippy »

Should be a comfortable 3 points to confirm our place in the last 16 exit game. :D

Bradywasking

Re: Anderlecht at home

Post by Bradywasking »

10-0.. :barscarf:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

another 60-70 minutes of dross followed by an alexis bailout . 2-0.

this being our 4th win on the trot, and sitting 4th in the PL the akb's will be drooling for wonga to extend his contract. :banghead:

Post by 1989 »

Would like to see the Chilean beast rested for this. Give Poldi and Feo a run out instead.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

wonga won't drop the man who's keeping him a job, but i agree - i'd play welbz and walcott up front for a half, then sub on pod.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

My cock is twitching with anticipation of a last 16 place being sealed on Tuesday night

ONE ARSENE WENGER....THERE'S ONLY ONE ARSENE WENGER

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

markyp

Post by markyp »

another snorefest,75% possession with no cutting edge until we wear them out with our constant tippy tappy and we manage to finally score 1 or 2 near the death,god we are so boring and sterile these days :shock:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Chelsea are going to stroll their group and you can't play against your own group winner.....so as usual there will be a 50% chance of drawing either Bayern, Real or Barcelona at which point our interest is over for another season

Kroenke's wet dream must be that we get drawn against the winners of Group C - Leverkusen, Monaco, Zenit and Benfica - and Wenger too will be able to talk about 'progress to the last eight' if that happens

Our existence in this competition is now so utterly pointless I can't work out what any fan gets from it.....other than the odd day out to a major European city. Its a bit like being the fan on a non league team in the FA Cup - lets pray we get to the 3rd round and get a big club for a 'day out'

The football I saw Bayern and Real play in their last group games is so far ahead of anything we've produced its unreal. The gap is widening every year

scotgooner

Post by scotgooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:Chelsea are going to stroll their group and you can't play against your own group winner.....so as usual there will be a 50% chance of drawing either Bayern, Real or Barcelona at which point our interest is over for another season

Kroenke's wet dream must be that we get drawn against the winners of Group C - Leverkusen, Monaco, Zenit and Benfica - and Wenger too will be able to talk about 'progress to the last eight' if that happens

Our existence in this competition is now so utterly pointless I can't work out what any fan gets from it.....other than the odd day out to a major European city. Its a bit like being the fan on a non league team in the FA Cup - lets pray we get to the 3rd round and get a big club for a 'day out'

The football I saw Bayern and Real play in their last group games is so far ahead of anything we've produced its unreal. The gap is widening every year
Agree 100%

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

SteveO 35 wrote:Chelsea are going to stroll their group and you can't play against your own group winner.....so as usual there will be a 50% chance of drawing either Bayern, Real or Barcelona at which point our interest is over for another season

Agree with you...But that very existence in this competition is enough for our board and manager... After the last roud I made that very point that you made to a friend, that being Arsenal are miles behind Bayern , Real and even Chelsea in Europe. His reply was "ah I'm not so sure , they won't get any better..we will".

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Bradywasking wrote:

Agree with you...But that very existence in this competition is enough for our board and manager... After the last roud I made that very point that you made to a friend, that being Arsenal are miles behind Bayern , Real and even Chelsea in Europe. His reply was "ah I'm not so sure , they won't get any better..we will".
He might well be right......but they don't need to get any better. We need to get 100% better and it still wouldn't be enough

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

Our fanbase has been brainwashed into believing that the world will end if we don't get top four, so this makes the competition itself seem very important for some of our fans, when in truth, we couldn't win the competition with Henry, Bergkamp, Vieira etc but somehow we are going to win it with Welbeck, Giroud, and Flamini :banghead:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

BFG4 wrote:

Our fanbase has been brainwashed into believing that the world will end if we don't get top four, so this makes the competition itself seem very important for some of our fans, when in truth, we couldn't win the competition with Henry, Bergkamp, Vieira etc but somehow we are going to win it with Welbeck, Giroud, and Flamini :banghead:
Exactly - our 2004 team couldn't win this thing when the likes of pre-Mourinho Chelsea and an average Monaco and Porto were in the last 4.

These days we're down to Nacho Monreal at centre half lining up against Bayern and Real playing some of the finest football ever witnessed. I can just picture Ronaldo, Benzema and Bale ripping through Monreal, Bellerin and Mertesacker - could be the most embarrassing scoreline in our history....worse than 8-2

Ikechukwu1

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
BFG4 wrote:

Exactly - our 2004 team couldn't win this thing when the likes of pre-Mourinho Chelsea and an average Monaco and Porto were in the last 4.

These days we're down to Nacho Monreal at centre half lining up against Bayern and Real playing some of the finest football ever witnessed. I can just picture Ronaldo, Benzema and Bale ripping through Monreal, Bellerin and Mertesacker - could be the most embarrassing scoreline in our history....worse than 8-2
Think you're jumping the gun a little SteveO. Remember Arsene's tactical stroke of genius in Belgium where he waited until the 90th minute to defeat Anderlecht! :oops:
Seriously though, I'm with you. Absolutely no idea what fans get out of watching group games against dire garbage like Gala, Anderlecht et al. The one quality team we faced in Dortmund, and despite their domestic form they blitzed us and it could have been 5-0 by half time. So just like the groundhog league campaign, able to dispatch rubbish teams due to a far wealthier squad , but I thought the big managers were paid for making the difference against the best teams?

We will draw one of Bayern, Barca or Real. Barca are poor under Enrique this year and Celta showed how to beat them yesterday with a well-drilled defence and good shape. That's sadly beyond the muppet in charge so Messi will have a field day, ditto Neymar .
The team I'd worry most about facing is Real. It's am absolute disgrace that a club with over £100m in the bank would dare start Flamini against Tony Kroos and Modric FFS. I won't even get to Ronny and Bale running at Per (gulp) and Gibbs/Koscielny.
Bayern would honestly be the best option as I think Pep is clearly bored of beating us, it's just so easy he always takes his foot off the gas after 2-0. Real are merciless and it could be double figures.
As you said, the CL is pointless. 30 years in football and the twat doesn't know to win your group, sign top class reinforcements and have a top defensive shape... :roll:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Surprise surprise.....had 3 offers of using someone else's ST for this one

Honestly, does anyone give a shit about this game ?