The Banner

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
LeftfootlegendGooner

Re: Banner Boys - Are we right or wrong?

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

The thread title should read "Are We Here or There"

"We seek them here, we seek them there
Those Gooners seek them everywhere!
Are they for Wenger or are they for Moyes?
Those dammed Elusive Banner Boys?"

:lol:

storrmin571

Re: Banner Boys - Are we right or wrong?

Post by storrmin571 »

I am actually missing Frank Butchers posts here. Some reasonable arguments.

Champagne Charlie

Banner debate on AFTVpodcast

Post by Champagne Charlie »

Hi folks,
Just a quick heads up about a debate we're recording tonight on @aftvpodcast.
We've invited a couple of guys who are involved with the banner to participate and explain why they did it, whether they tried bringing it into Emirates Stadium and if they'll be displaying the banner at future away games.
We'll also discuss freedom of speech at the Ems and the double standards imposed by the Club.
@arsenalmoh8 will argue against it and I (@RamblinGooner) will host the discussion.

@arsenalmoh8 is currently conducting a straw poll with his followers for/against.
Hope you'll tune in.

Cheers

EDIT: You can listen to the debate here, just click the link below

Download: http://bit.ly/1zYnrd0
Soundcloud: http://bit.ly/12F0G3N

PS. it will be available on iTunes later. Follow @RamblinGooner or @aftvpodcast on twitter for details.

Cheers guys, hope you find it a fair debate. :barscarf:
Last edited by Champagne Charlie on Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

arseofacrow

Re: Banner debate on AFTVpodcast

Post by arseofacrow »

Champagne Charlie wrote:Hi folks,
Just a quick heads up about a debate we're recording tonight on @aftvpodcast.
We've invited a couple of guys who are involved with the banner to participate and explain why they did it, whether they tried bringing it into Emirates Stadium and if they'll be displaying the banner at future away games.
We'll also discuss freedom of speech at the Ems and the double standards imposed by the Club.
@arsenalmoh8 will argue against it and I (@RamblinGooner) will host the discussion.

@arsenalmoh8 is currently conducting a straw poll with his followers for/against.
Hope you'll tune in.

Cheers
A couple of points:

Freedom of speech with responsibility and there's nothing in this banner other than the chance that someone might lose because one way or the other, they disagree. That then is the problem of the individual and leads us to wider debate around responsibility in society.

I seem to remember that Liverpool fans were bringing all sorts of shit on to the kop against their owners. Their owners, guys who actually own the ground itself.

It seems to be a very modern phenomenon that one is not allowed to protest for a mountain of reason and one of which, timing, is bordering on the laughable.

Finally, it is not mutually exclusive to support the club and protest against an element of the club.

Champagne Charlie

Cheers dude, I'll surmise your points and use them on the podcast if that's alright with you?

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

I'd like to see the following questions asked:-

1. If a banner is removed as it is deemed to potentially cause conflict between different sets of Arsenal supporters, will the club be banning ALL banners with comments whether negative or positive?

2. What is the legal position with regard to the confiscation of personal possessions that are not on the list of prohibited items? Is this tantamount to theft and will the owners be pursuing the police to bring criminal charges against those that take them?

3. Are the club so arrogant to think that they are beyond criticism and do they realize that by behaving in the manner that they do when criticized that they actually draw more attention to the negative comments?

4. Are the board of directors, and AW alike aware of who pay their wages? It's the supporters (in case they're reading this and hadn't worked that one out yet).

5. Supporters are stakeholders in Arsenal Football Club and they have a right to show dissent. Will the 'banner boys' be raising this matter when they get their stadium bans?

6. Has Kim Jong Un been made aware of this and is he hiring the club management to do his PR in future?

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Champagne Charlie wrote:Cheers dude, I'll surmise your points and use them on the podcast if that's alright with you?
No problem mate. I guess they're just general points that anyone could raise. All the best for the discussion.

Champagne Charlie

EDIT: @SPUDSMASHER
Cheers mate. A few of your Qs are already on the agenda such as the double standards the club seem to uphold.

augie

Post by augie »

Are we to assume that you (champagne Charlie) are from redaction or are a kroenke fan ? Your anti usmanov avatar suggests that is the case anyway and if so, debating with a pro institution person is usually a waste of time

Champagne Charlie

augie wrote:Are we to assume that you (champagne Charlie) are from redaction or are a kroenke fan ? Your anti usmanov avatar suggests that is the case anyway and if so, debating with a pro institution person is usually a waste of time
No mate, I'll lead the discussion and that's it. I'll play devil's advocate for both sides of the argument. As I have done for various contentious subjects we've recorded in the past.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Arsene wenger has siad on numerous occasions that Everyone is entitled to their opinions - and yet the club by Banning (non-abusive) Banners and the like are going against the very thing that Wenger has publicly stated as being permissable, so why are the club attempting to ban Banners simply because they do not agree with certain parts and members of the club.

? :?

Champagne Charlie

Also, just because I don't like Usmanov doesn't mean I'm in favour of Kreonke.
I've no love for both parties actually.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Champagne Charlie wrote:Also, just because I don't like Usmanov doesn't mean I'm in favour of Kreonke.
I've no love for both parties actually.
fair enough.

usmanov, i am warming to though with his recent comments. whoever owns the club, we cannot proceed with a board that " if arsene has a plan we go with it, if not we keep quiet..."

could you imagine any other 600m quid company taking a line like that ?????

i deally i'd like to usmanov or someone else buy out Kroenke and then sell their shares back to the fans. i'm sure many fans feel like me - if only we'd all bought a couple of hundred at 3.13 each when they listed.

had we all bought shares back then, then fan ownership would have remained - the Arsenal Supporters Trust was a good idea 11 years too late.

good luck with the show.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Can you put a link up after the broadcast!? :barscarf:

Champagne Charlie

OneBardGooner wrote:Can you put a link up after the broadcast!? :barscarf:
Will do mate.