Realistic Replacements for Wenger

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
GoonerMuzz

Realistic Replacements for Wenger

Post by GoonerMuzz »

There has been a lot of debate about when OGL should go, and a few suggestions of who we'd like to replace him.

What i'd like to know is who could we realistically get to replace him.

There are a number of reason i ask this:

1) Some of the managers touted ie: Simeone and Klopp are under contract may be expensive
2) Replacing a long term manager could be seen as extremely daunting to others
3) Resources from an outside perspective may seem limited
4) Possibility of having to deal with previous manager should he move upstairs
5) Team playing poorly and needing a drastic overhaul
6) Fan reaction

There are a number of regular posters on here who have strong opinions and have their fingers on the footballing pulse so what do you all think.

One more thing if we can can we try and looknot just at the usual suspects

:rubchin:

[MODS NOTE: Will resist the urge to merge as long as it stays on topic and does not become a moanfest against Wenger.]

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Re: Realistic Replacements for Wenger

Post by officepest »

This is going to get merged mate but in answer to your question:

We are Arsenal, the biggest club in one of the largest City in Europe. We have history, tradition and infrastructure that most clubs would kill for.

We are also swimming in cash and have the basis of a decent squad. There are very few managers that we could not attract if the will is there from the top.

Unfortunately, whilst we have the awful asset-stripping American gentleman in charge I very much doubt the will is there.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

I want Carlo Ancelotti:

- Has already proven he can win the Domestic Double.

- Has won the Champions League three times as a manager.

- Plays fast power football, good to watch for the fans.

- Proven he can manage star names.

- Speaks English, Italian and Spanish.

- Has lived and worked in London before.

- I reckon he wants to prove a point to Chelsea for sacking him so quickly.

- Aged 55, could manage for seven years easily.

gp543

Post by gp543 »

Replacements in order of preference.

1. Simeone - love everything about him. His mannerism, competitiveness, ability to motivate players, playing style of his teams. And if he could bring Arda Turan and Godin, that would be lovely. Young too.

2. Klopp - Many of the same reason as Simeone, his track record is only slightly less impressive considering he only has one super club to compete against with less second-order sides (Spain has Bilbao, Sevilla, Valencia, Real Sociedad whereas I would only consider Schalke and Leverkusen as on that level)

3. Jorge Jesus - Won everything in Portugal and has been EL runner-up and then EL winner in consecutive seasons. His age is the only negative. Out of contract after this season.

4. Joachim Low - Great track record with Germany (granted they are one of the stronger European sides) and can develop young players well. Won't be available until 2016, though.

5. Rudi Garcia - What he did with Lille cannot be overstated. Great manager, only 50 years old, but unfortunately under contract at Roma until 2017.

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

Frank DeBoer & Dennis Bergkamp from Ajax

Klopp

Simeone

Ancelotti (no hope, why leave Real Madrid for a Real mess?)

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

i just can't see the point of these threads.

the board discussed all this several months and decided that a Mr Arsene Wenger should be given £8 million a year to manage Arsenal for the next 3 years. His targets have been set at reaching the top 4 in the Premier League each season, qualifying for the last 16 of the Champions League and finding 60,000 mugs to fill the stadium each week that he personally built brick by brick whilst overseeing the Invincibles team of a decade ago.

as usual he is hitting his targets so should be rewarded with a Christmas bonus. he has even over achieved in 2014 by winning the FA Cup so why are replacements being considered? 8)

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Quite a bit of discussion here - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37106&hilit=+simeone

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Klopp for me. Undoubtably a good manager but has stayed slightly too long in one job, sound like someone else we all know?

In fact let's do a trade off with Dortmund I'm sure they would love Wenger :)

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I agree with Quartz in terms of Ancelotti's credentials for the role, but why leave Madrid? He's turned them into THE team in Spain now and can take his pick of any talent in world football to wear the white jersey. We have to hope they suffer a 2nd place finish in La Liga and a shock exit from the CL, for the usual Spanish panic button to be pressed and he gets sacked

Klopp has produced some of the most exciting, winning football I've witnessed in recent seasons too

Guardiola is a similar pipe dream to Ancelotti

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Doesn't matter who comes in, the important thing is that Wenker goes. I also doubt there is anyone at the club capable of getting the appointment right, so we may go through a few managers over the next 4 or 5 seasons, but we can't move on until Wenker goes.
What is paramount is that Wenker has no input into his replacement and that he doesn't "move upstairs" and that no new boss no matter how successful, is ever allowed to have the control Wenker has had.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

goonersid wrote:Doesn't matter who comes in, the important thing is that Wenker goes. I also doubt there is anyone at the club capable of getting the appointment right, so we may go through a few managers over the next 4 or 5 seasons, but we can't move on until Wenker goes.
What is paramount is that Wenker has no input into his replacement and that he doesn't "move upstairs" and that no new boss no matter how successful, is ever allowed to have the control Wenker has had.
We'll put you down for Wenger's protege Dragan Stojkovic then Sid :barscarf:

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Is Dave Bassett still available?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Guardiola or Klopp or Martinez for me.(pipedreams yes, but hey what else are dreams for?)

I'm sure there are other's who are not yet on the media's radar - But are young, creative, strong-willed and willing to 'dare' and so 'win'. :barscarf:

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

I like koemans style, and to keep Saints where they are after the firesale is a massive credit. He has also signed v cannily

Would DB10 be able to be his deputy as well, that would be a great combination.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Joachim Löw. An excellent football brain and well-respected. Get him.