Good Mirror Article today on the way Football has changed

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
physician

Good Mirror Article today on the way Football has changed

Post by physician »

A good article in The Mirror today by Dave Kidd highlighting how football has changed since the 80s alienating grass roots fans in favour of Johnny Come Latelys - It hasn't changed for the better!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ve-4967287

[MODS NOTE: Feel free to comment on the theme of the article but any Ched Evans references will be deleted because of legal issues.]

QuartzGooner

Re: Good Mirror Article today on the way Football has change

Post by QuartzGooner »

Top flight football has become more corporate but the article, and others, over play the extent. There are still many "Traditional" fans going to games.

And there always was a mix of fans at Highbury.
Have said it before but there were overseas supporters clubs at Highbury, especially from Scandanavia and they were rightly very welcome.
Lots of the old school flask and blazer crowd in the Upper East stand, and there were families in the West Stand.

But no doubt it is so much more expensive these days...and more popular.
Lock-outs happened, Liverpool home midweek I think it was 1988, we had 7,000 locked out, but most savvy fans were always going to get into a game at Highbury if they got there in good time.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Football was ripe for change as the 80s drew to a close. There was a vacuum being created by hooliganism , this was brought to a head after Hillsborough when football as we knew it was at a crossroads. It was sink or swim and the money injection into the new Premiership meant it would be swim. But there were new conditions and the unconnected but important beginning of the Premiership and the arrival of All Seater Stadiums changed the dynamic .
Hillsborough inadvertently led to a commercial exploitation of football and in turn led to the creation of football customers rather than fans.
I suppose what we genuine football fans want is balance, I doubt anyone would really want to go back to the intimidatory atmosphere that was a football Saturday in the 80s, yet we all crave the atmosphere that is dying in a lot of stadiums. Football , as I see it in Ireland, has become an accessory , take or leave it type of thing. That means a lack of fans but no lack of customers. There in lies the problem, the clubs don't care where the money comes from as long as it comes. A conveyer belt of fans making one or two trips a season with money to spend in the superstores is more beneficial to clubs than the local who may not spend any money on merchandise but attends all games home and away.
Simple things in football have also changed and not for the better, one I think, is the lack of contact with the players and supporters. I used to love match days in Highbury where you could see the players arriving and departing sometimes getting an autograph . Now at The Emirates if you are not spending money there is no point of being too early or hanging around after the game.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Football at the top level is now a corporate vehicle.

There's still a connection and freedom to be found in the lower leagues.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Yup started to change after the 80's, now there's Claret everywhere backed up by canapés and petits fours!! :barscarf: