Abou Diaby - Injuries Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
rigsby

Re: Abou Diaby - Injuries Thread

Post by rigsby »

If it was just the one or two players it could be overlooked, but how many players has he persevered with before finally admitting they are just not up to scratch? And he is usually the last to admit it.
All managers have that. Look at Ferguson with players like Cleverly, Anderson and Johnny Evans. Hell LVG is still trying to get Johnny Evans in the team! Sometimes managers see something in players we as fans don't because they see them everyday in training. There were ALOT of people saying to bomb out Aaron Ramsey at one point. Monreal was called all sorts on here at certain points, he was arguably one of our most consistent players this year. It's not an exact science as a Football manager.

And of course he would be the last to admit it!

foxinthebox2001

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

rigsby wrote:
If it was just the one or two players it could be overlooked, but how many players has he persevered with before finally admitting they are just not up to scratch? And he is usually the last to admit it.
All managers have that. Look at Ferguson with players like Cleverly, Anderson and Johnny Evans. Hell LVG is still trying to get Johnny Evans in the team! Sometimes managers see something in players we as fans don't because they see them everyday in training. There were ALOT of people saying to bomb out Aaron Ramsey at one point. Monreal was called all sorts on here at certain points, he was arguably one of our most consistent players this year. It's not an exact science as a Football manager.

And of course he would be the last to admit it!
If you want to start comparing Fergie with Wenger you really are on shaky ground.
The difference was Fergie won things, a lot of things, while dealing with 1 or 2 misfits, in the Almunia, Santos, Bendtner, and Squillaci years Wenger won diddly squat.

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

I was using it as a comparison that all managers at one point persevere with players. From the best to the worst.

foxinthebox2001

rigsby wrote:I was using it as a comparison that all managers at one point persevere with players. From the best to the worst.
I don't think Fergie's list of flops comes anywhere near Wenger's in terms of numbers or paucity of ability.

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

Hmm, could be. That doesn't mean he didn't have huge quality around them at the time, but people like Bebe, Porborsky, Cruyff he all stuck with and they flopped. Every manager has that list.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

foxinthebox2001 wrote:
rigsby wrote:I was using it as a comparison that all managers at one point persevere with players. From the best to the worst.
I don't think Fergie's list of flops comes anywhere near Wenger's in terms of numbers or paucity of ability.
TBH I think Rednose's list of shit players is easily as long as Wenger's. The key difference is that Rednose did not persist with those shit players for years and years after it was obvious they were shit. He certainly didn't then extend their contracts and give them pay rises. :|

augie

Post by augie »

foxinthebox2001 wrote:
rigsby wrote:Think you're being unfair and slightly flippant here Rodders. That injury has severely hampered the guy. I don't blame Wenger for having a certain loyalty to the guy. It may not be a good thing for a football manager to do, but as a man I have to have some admiration for it.

Plus, a lot of people on here were saying to get rid of RVP around 2009 because of the injuries, and then look what happened. It's a risk, and it failed with Diaby, but some would argue a risk worth taking.
Balance that against those that have come through mediocrity, when you have to say Wenger was right all along.
The most recent was Coquelin, and Wenger had the good sense to send him to the Charlton Athletic bench to hone his skills before hastily bringing him back to change our season.

No way can you seriously make that argument.........coquelin would still be at Charlton (or some other footballing backwater) if we hadn't had yet another injury crisis - what you are suggesting is that sending and recalling coquelin was some sort of masterplan by le cock, and that certainly isn't the case :roll:

foxinthebox2001

augie wrote:
foxinthebox2001 wrote:
rigsby wrote:Think you're being unfair and slightly flippant here Rodders. That injury has severely hampered the guy. I don't blame Wenger for having a certain loyalty to the guy. It may not be a good thing for a football manager to do, but as a man I have to have some admiration for it.

Plus, a lot of people on here were saying to get rid of RVP around 2009 because of the injuries, and then look what happened. It's a risk, and it failed with Diaby, but some would argue a risk worth taking.
Balance that against those that have come through mediocrity, when you have to say Wenger was right all along.
The most recent was Coquelin, and Wenger had the good sense to send him to the Charlton Athletic bench to hone his skills before hastily bringing him back to change our season.

No way can you seriously make that argument.........coquelin would still be at Charlton (or some other footballing backwater) if we hadn't had yet another injury crisis - what you are suggesting is that sending and recalling coquelin was some sort of masterplan by le cock, and that certainly isn't the case :roll:
I was being little bit sarcastic.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Shouldn't this thread be renamed simply "Abou Diaby Thread" .... I mean we all know it's gonna be about his injuries coz that's 99% of what he's been about (sad but true).

I still remember his absolute Rocket against Derby in the 5 - 1 win......stepped in from the left leaving a derby defender on his arse and gasping for breath...then KERRRRPOWWWWWWW! get in there my son....me & fwank danced for joy and got totally shytefaced after that game....You still owe me for that spilt pint frank!!!!! :roll: :D :wink:

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

He's not going anywhere, the club are selling the new shirt with his squad number available, worth noting that Ospina, Podolski, Campbell and Sonogo were not available to be bought.

It's also worth noting that Arteta and Flamini was also being sold and the no 1 shirt had no name next to it.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Gunnersaurus wrote:He's not going anywhere, the club are selling the new shirt with his squad number available, worth noting that Ospina, Podolski, Campbell and Sonogo were not available to be bought.

It's also worth noting that Arteta and Flamini was also being sold and the no 1 shirt had no name next to it.
It's bonkers to go into next season with Diaby, Flamini and Arteta on our books. A total waste of over £150k a week and 3 squad places.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Will they put a tent up around him before they shoot him like at the Grand National?

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

g88ner wrote:
Gunnersaurus wrote:He's not going anywhere, the club are selling the new shirt with his squad number available, worth noting that Ospina, Podolski, Campbell and Sonogo were not available to be bought.

It's bonkers to go into next season with Diaby, Flamini and Arteta on our books. A total waste of over £150k a week and 3 squad places.
£150k a week would get a very good player too, madness really.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

g88ner wrote:

This ^^

It's insane. Captain Stupid is a liability. Arteta is waaaay past his best. And Diaby is a perma-crocked non event. This harks back to the most stupid money-wasting days of Wenger's reign when we had uber-shite like Almunia, Flappy, Legohead, Mong, FatSantos, Squillaci, Park, (the injured for 7 years) RVJC, Vela etc etc all commanding big to huge wages whilst Arsene was telling us we had no money to compete. :roll:

Redsonja

Post by Redsonja »

This subject really gets me going big time, it really does. We've cradled and nursed him to fitness time and time and time and time ... again, spent thousands and thousands on rehab to USA and goodness knows how many more countries. Diaby is supposed to be fit but is still of no use to the squad in a competitive game. Why is he still here apart from the obvious reason which is that he's been Wenger's major pet project for donkey's years because he saw him as the second coming of Vieira. I'm beginning to wonder if Wenger has actually adopted him. So, would someone on the Board with some guts (is there anyone!) please inform Wenger that Arsenal is not a charity for sick note surplus players, it's supposed to be a profitable business. Having surplus players on the books clogging up the Club's training and rehab facilities is tipping the Club's money down the drain. I don't care how dedicated Diaby is, how hard he works or that he's teatotal or that he prefers to have early nights and is one of the nicest guys to have around - he is of no use to Arsenal and he should get himself a new agent who's the master of bull so we can get shot of him. He's a free man now, why doesn't he just go with grace and why doesn't Arsenal pack his bags, thank him and wave goodbye, finally.