Abou Diaby - Injuries Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Galasso

ABOU DIABY

Post by Galasso »

I wondered whether there was a consensus of opinion regarding Abou Diaby and the 'new Vieira' question.

In his career appearances so far, he looks much more like an attacking midfield player, more dyanamic than Cesc but not as technically rounded (although he is technically excellent). He doesn't appear to fit the bill as a defensive midfielder, as he doesn't have the competetive 'bite' that was instinctive in Vieira's game.

In the game at Spurs in the league last year, he played for the best part of the game with Fabregas and Gilberto in the centre and was fantastic; Gilberto as the densive cover, Cesc setting up the play and Diaby dictating the tempo of our game. But as a straight swap for Gilberto or playing in wide areas - just doesn't and won't work (and it would be the waste of a massive talent and clever football brain). And if it was a straight choice between him and Cesc??

What do people think is the short and long term future of Abou Diaby, considering our current resources and the need to balance the team? How would you best make use of this talent?

mrmage

Post by mrmage »

we discussed this a while back, can't remember who said it first! 4-3-3
The 3 you mentioned, with Rosicky, RVP & Ade or Dudu, Nick & Theo, I think having Dudu & Theo as winger/strikers works well, dragging players out of position, the rest running through on goal.

4 Gael, Willy, Kolo & Sagnal Gael, Sendy, Kolo, Eboue, etc

3 Gilberto, Fab & Diaby with potential for Eboue, Diarra & Denilson to get involved

3 Rosicky, RVP, Ade or Dudu, Nik & Theo.. + Alex & Denilson!

bloody hell its a pain in the arse!

anyway, I think our depth of squd is acceptable now. With ref to the current centre back problem, Gilberto is available with Diaby & Diarra acceptable cover for him..

Hopefully we'll have more luck with injuries this season. Love to see Robin play the whole season. He'll be aiming for Euros no doubt. Also want to see more of the young Dane. Sorry, this has turned into a bit of a rant!

gunners-need-steel

Post by gunners-need-steel »

agreed, galasso .. dont see him as a defensive cover for gilberto .. diarra/flamini are the more likely successors for gilberto ..

IMHO, Diaby is offense minded enough to play upfront ...

As to choosing b/w him and cesc, I would chose cesc becuase of his better reading of a game and much better passing .. at least for now. For matches against bruiser teams like bruiseburn, I would give diaby the edge as the harder/tougher of the pair.

However, I see room for both in the same team:

<left> rosicky (hleb as sub) -- cesc (denilson) -- diarra (flamini) -- diaby (eboue) <right>

burns718

Post by burns718 »

think you will end up seeing the midfield trio looking like this

diarra
cesc diaby

T.S

Post by T.S »

Interesting thread. First off I'd like to say that I really rate Diaby as a player. I think that he's fast, not scared of a tackle and is extremely skillful. However, as our last game against Portsmouth showed, he is far from the finished product. His passing as a bit wayward and in general, he's still a bit rough round the edges. However, I certainly think that he's one of our brightest prospects.

Now, this is the problem; what is his best position? It would certainly appear that Arsene wants to play him in a central defensive midfielder role, but then again, he's been deployed in more attacking positions both in the middle and on the sides. I think this could be a problem in the lad's development. I don't know his strongest position, but I'm inclined to trust Le Boss and so I'm sure he'll put Abou where he sees fit. I think it is important for him to find a position that he can make his own, a bit like Kolo did at centre back.

I think that it's interesting what Arsene has done with the centre back position, by the way. Consider this; he let Djourou go to Birmingham on loan and thus, leaving us with three recognised centre halves, but I think this may well be a roundabout way of giving Diaby a chance in the side. He certainly has faith in Gilberto playing in defense, so maybe he saw moving Gilberto to the back once in a while as a chance to blood Diaby in. If that was the idea, then Diaby might be the one to benefit the most from Senderos' suspension. I guess this is his chance to give Arsene a real headache. Let's hope he grabs it.

Ben-gooner14

Post by Ben-gooner14 »

I also like diaby very much but a bit worried he will get sent off at least twice a season and maybe 3 times, as he lunges into tackles like there is no tomorrow and occasionally swipes at the player with his tackling, i know he might want to show his commiment and he's up for the fight but were see how it goes.

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

tonysaunders wrote:Now, this is the problem; what is his best position? It would certainly appear that Arsene wants to play him in a central defensive midfielder role, but then again, he's been deployed in more attacking positions both in the middle and on the sides. I think this could be a problem in the lad's development. I don't know his strongest position, but I'm inclined to trust Le Boss and so I'm sure he'll put Abou where he sees fit. I think it is important for him to find a position that he can make his own, a bit like Kolo did at centre back.
I agree Tony, the problem is - where does he play? For me, it is one of the more intriguing questions. Mainly because at present, he doesn't fit neatly into one category (If one considers a 4-4-2)

If he was to get his chance as Gilberto spends more time defensively, there would certainly be questions about his defensive ability, although not his attitude. And, he does give us an option to change our formation away from home if required, filling up the midfield.

Very talented, still learning but if he comes to fruition, then he can be a great player.

Matt_the_gooner

Post by Matt_the_gooner »

I'm also a massive fan of diaby and think he could be excellent but from what I have seen he seems to have the traits of a driving midfielder.
He doesnt have the same incredible accuracy of passing like cesc but he does have the attacking mentality, i reckon he would do best in central midfield partnering cesc because he brings a decent physical presence to an otherwise fairly lightweight group of players.
Another thing that has impresssed me about him is that despite the occasional misplaced pass he has a phenomenal work rate to try and win the ball back which is one of the battleing qualities that some said the arsenal lacked last season. I hope to see him progress further this season.

rustum

He is still 21

Post by rustum »

So,
He has around 2 more years to improve. I guess, he is going to be very good arsenal player. Except, i am not sure where he is going to play.

Goonanana

Post by Goonanana »

I'd like to slot him into a 4-5-1 personally

Adebayor / Dudu

RVP Diaby Gilberto Cesc Rosicky/Theo

Gael Gallas Toure Sagna

Bench: Hleb / Eboue / Senderos / diarra / Theo/rosicky

goonerk

Abou Diaby - Injuries Thread

Post by goonerk »

Before the season started we spoke on here about Diaby being our new defensive shield and ultimately patrick vieira type midfielder. That role, has been occupied by mr flamini thus far. I'm not saying flamini doesn't deserve to be there, because he does, but, after seeing what happened against Birmingham (and many other times, without being punished), I think Diaby gives us what were currently lacking: arial dominance. Although not the most amazing in the air, I feel so much more confident defending corners/set plays when Diaby is there. He is strong beyond belief and will jump above most opponants, whereas flam would struggle to beat a 6 year old.

I just don't know where see's Diaby fitting in. He's been playing on the left, which as we all know, isn't his best position, but it just doesn't look like he's gona get a go in the middle. Sure he can occasionally hold onto the ball for too long and he often thinks he can take on the whole team...but theres a presense about him that I really like. He's still young and I think he can mature into the all round midfielder that paddy was.

Flamini is doing a decent job, but not the long term answer. Gilberto is a ledgend, but unfortunately even legends have to step aside. Diarra's attitude is quite frankly a digrace and, although he is combative and has good energy...he's still too small to give our team any presence.

Maybe I'm just missing Paddy, but does anyone else feel we have a gem that we are just not utilising??

REB

Post by REB »

diaby is a strange one to call, he has the talent to be better then what he is and i agree that putting him on the wing is a waste,
think flamini has done a job in the middle but is not the long term answer and i was hoping diarra was the man but it doesnt look like he's going to stay which is a pity cos he's going to be a fine player

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

THE FACT DIABY IS GOOD IN THE AIR IS HARDLY A REASON FOR PICKING HIM IN FRONT OF FLAMINI. IF THAT WAS THE ONLY CRITERIA, GILBERTO WOULD STILL BE IN THE TEAM.

I AGREE THAT OUR NO.2 IS NOT BEING PLAYED IN HIS BEST POSITION, BUT APART FROM LOOKS, HE IS NO PATRICK VIEIRA. PROBLEM IS THAT DIABY IS MORE AN ATTACKING MIDFIELDER THAN A DEFENSIVE ONE, AND I'M NOT SURE HE COULD BE RELIED ON TO DO THE 'DIRTY' PART OF THAT JOB.

STILL, I'M SURE THERE ARE SOME FIXTURES PLAYING AT HOME WHERE WENGER COULD TRY THE CESC/DIABY PARTNERSHIP WITHOUT RISKING TOO MUCH. :lol: :wink:

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

I Hate Hleb wrote:THE FACT DIABY IS GOOD IN THE AIR IS HARDLY A REASON FOR PICKING HIM IN FRONT OF FLAMINI. IF THAT WAS THE ONLY CRITERIA, GILBERTO WOULD STILL BE IN THE TEAM.

I AGREE THAT OUR NO.2 IS NOT BEING PLAYED IN HIS BEST POSITION, BUT APART FROM LOOKS, HE IS NO PATRICK VIEIRA. PROBLEM IS THAT DIABY IS MORE AN ATTACKING MIDFIELDER THAN A DEFENSIVE ONE, AND I'M NOT SURE HE COULD BE RELIED ON TO DO THE 'DIRTY' PART OF THAT JOB.

STILL, I'M SURE THERE ARE SOME FIXTURES PLAYING AT HOME WHERE WENGER COULD TRY THE CESC/DIABY PARTNERSHIP WITHOUT RISKING TOO MUCH. :lol: :wink:
I couldn't disagree more! I think that Paddy was very much an attacking midfielder that also did the dirty work. There is no reason why Diaby couldn't do the same. Given the chance I believe that he could be every bit what Paddy was.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

PADDY HAD AN ATTITUDE - INSTILLED IN HIM BY ADAMS AND KEOWN - THAT DIABY JUST DOESN'T HAVE. PLUS HE KNEW HOW TO TACKLE WHEREAS DIABY - MAYBE BECAUSE OF HIS PREVIOUS BROKEN LEG - WON'T PUT HIS FOOT IN.

YOU'RE RIGHT, SPUDMASHER. PATRICK WAS ALSO EXCELLENT GOING FORWARD, BUT IT NORMALLY STEMMED FROM HIS INITIAL WINNING OF THE BALL IN MIDFIELD, SOMETHING DIABY DOESN'T REALLY DO, AND CERTAINLY NOT ENOUGH TO WARRANT COMPARISON WITH VIEIRA.

FINALLY, PATRICK WAS AWARE OF WHEN TO PASS THE BALL ON AND WHEN TO RETAIN IT. I FEAR THAT DIABY SOMETIMES TRIES TO PLAY TOO MUCH IN THE WRONG AREAS. :lol: :wink: