26 May 1989

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Re: 26 May 1989

Post by StuartL »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 3:06 pm
Eboue-Why? wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 2:15 pm
As I always say on this anniversary....
I was there!! :barscarf: :D

:hail: :bowing21: :hail: :bowing21: :hail: :bowing21: :cheers:
Stop fooling around Bardy and get back to working on that time machine man :roll: 8)

Post by 1989 »

Eboue-Why? wrote:
Lucky bastard...

Post by 1989 »

Who wants memories like these anyway.....it was much more exciting when we beat the likes of Villa to the 4th place trophy. :barscarf: :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

StuartL wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 7:06 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 3:06 pm
Eboue-Why? wrote:

:hail: :bowing21: :hail: :bowing21: :hail: :bowing21: :cheers:
Stop fooling around Bardy and get back to working on that time machine man :roll: 8)
Sorry Stu mate ... I'm On it! :D

:rubchin:

8)

Herd

Post by Herd »

I was there and travelled to the game with John Radford and Michael Watson having flown in from New York that morning !

Never to be forgotton night almost as good as the fairs cup night against Anderlecht an winning the league at Whl on a monday all of which Ive also seen.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Herd wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 2:23 am
I was there and travelled to the game with John Radford and Michael Watson having flown in from New York that morning !

Never to be forgotton night almost as good as the fairs cup night against Anderlecht an winning the league at Whl on a monday all of which Ive also seen.
Missed this one remember it was a Friday night..and i was totally pissed off with the 2 games prior....which i both went to....Wimbledon was one cannot remember the other...really looked like we had thrown it away

Watching the game just seemed unreal.....never experienced anything like the Thomas goal.....time actually stood still...before he chipped it over Grobbelar....incredible end to a game...and season

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Redarmy wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 6:35 am
Herd wrote:

Missed this one remember it was a Friday night..and i was totally pissed off with the 2 games prior....which i both went to....Wimbledon was one cannot remember the other...really looked like we had thrown it away

Watching the game just seemed unreal.....never experienced anything like the Thomas goal.....time actually stood still...before he chipped it over Grobbelar....incredible end to a game...and season
It was a home banker v Derby :roll: , think we took the lead but Dean Saunders scored a worldly and a penalty I think to knock us for 6.
As it turned out, wouldn’t have it an other way :barscarf:

Before we got on the travel club coaches to go up to Anfield there was a guy selling “championship badges” obviously preprinted, prior to the Derby and Wimbledon games - we laughed and said to save us one, which we’ll get them tomorrow.

Clash

Post by Clash »

StuartL wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 10:03 am
Redarmy wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 6:35 am
Herd wrote:

It was a home banker v Derby :roll: , think we took the lead but Dean Saunders scored a worldly and a penalty I think to knock us for 6.
As it turned out, wouldn’t have it an other way :barscarf:

Before we got on the travel club coaches to go up to Anfield there was a guy selling “championship badges” obviously preprinted, prior to the Derby and Wimbledon games - we laughed and said to save us one, which we’ll get them tomorrow.
Yeah I wouldnt change a thing now but I still remember the feeling of going to that Derby game on the Saturday knowing a win meant the Wednesday game against Wimbledon would see us win the league if we won again. And I still sometimes wonder what a fantastic night at the old terraced Highbury that could have been.

Even two years later we were (sort of) denied our moment by Forest beating Liverpool and us being champions before the Man United game kicked off. Was still a fantastic night though.

I have still only been there to witness us needing to win a game to be crowned champions once though - the Everton game in 1998 - and even with that, the fact that we were 4-0 up meant the final whistle wasn't the euphoric moment it would have been if we were only one goal ahead or got a late winner.

Arsenal have had more dramatic title wins than any other clubs in terms of how we won it or where we won it though :barscarf: Our ones are the best ones.

We dont do this anti-climatic thing ... like the camera in Lee Chapman's or Steve Bruce's front room when Leeds and Man United won the title because the 2nd places team lost :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Haha the Mousers must hate 26th May as much as we love it! :lol:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 4:34 pm
Surprised they haven’t already started a campaign to excuse them from having to ever play a game on this date again!
Spirit of shankley slow off the mark on this one!
Fucking scouse wankers! :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonersid wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 8:17 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Surprised they haven’t already started a campaign to excuse them from having to ever play a game on this date again!
:barscarf: :lol:

At the very least they should have a candle lit vigil on that date.... followed by a bit of a riot where they wreck the shops and stuff in their own community because that's what "characters" do. :lol: :censored:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 6:29 am
goonersid wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

At the very least they should have a candle lit vigil on that date.... followed by a bit of a riot where they wreck the shops and stuff in their own community because that's what "characters" do. :lol: :censored:
:D Ahh lovable rogues!!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonersid wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:11 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 6:29 am
goonersid wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

:D Ahh lovable rogues!!
:lol:

I'd say many a shopkeeper appreciated that famous Scouse sense of humour as the looters ran out the door destroying his life's work. :barscarf: