Jack Wilshere

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
g88ner

Re:

Post by g88ner »

Red Gunner wrote:
goonersid wrote:
Nos89 wrote:Can you remember Stevie g and fat frank at 21???
Neither of them were consistent, till they got in their mid twenties. What is wrong with you? I'll bet you'll be the first person on here calling him a traitor when he leaves us for chavs, utd or citeh in the summer.
Focussing on the wrong thing here. Its the manager.
He aint and never will be good enough to play for any of those clubs.
Do you really think Jack doesn't have the potential to be better than Carrick, Cleverley and Barry?
and Milner.

It's ridiculous to say Wilshere hasn't the potential to get to their level, which is essentially what Sid is saying.

DB10GOONER

Re: Re:

Post by DB10GOONER »

g88ner wrote:
Red Gunner wrote:
goonersid wrote:
Nos89 wrote:Can you remember Stevie g and fat frank at 21???
Neither of them were consistent, till they got in their mid twenties. What is wrong with you? I'll bet you'll be the first person on here calling him a traitor when he leaves us for chavs, utd or citeh in the summer.
Focussing on the wrong thing here. Its the manager.
He aint and never will be good enough to play for any of those clubs.
Do you really think Jack doesn't have the potential to be better than Carrick, Cleverley and Barry?
and Milner.

It's ridiculous to say Wilshere hasn't the potential to get to their level, which is essentially what Sid is saying.
Have to agree. Sure, Jack isn't the finished product. YET. But he certainly has the potential to be world class. That's not saying he will deffo reach that level, but it's crazy to say he deffo won't at this stage in his career.

topgoon

Re: Jack Wilshire the most over rated player in English foot

Post by topgoon »

As far as the game was concerned, Villa did a number on him that the ref was quite willing to allow to continue for the whole game.

They took turns anytime he got the ball in cynically fouling him. The replays were hilarious as most of the tackles they didn't even attempt to get the ball. All the yellows they picked up were for fouls on him.

It wasn't as down right dirty as Scholes/Neville on Reyes in 2005 but it was still out of order and it's ironic that we had a player sent off for being utterly stupid, when their 3rd goal was scored by Luna who by proper refereeing would have been sent off long before what was a good goal in the end.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

topgoon wrote:As far as the game was concerned, Villa did a number on him that the ref was quite willing to allow to continue for the whole game.

They took turns anytime he got the ball in cynically fouling him. The replays were hilarious as most of the tackles they didn't even attempt to get the ball. All the yellows they picked up were for fouls on him.

It wasn't as down right dirty as Scholes/Neville on Reyes in 2005 but it was still out of order and it's ironic that we had a player sent off for being utterly stupid, when their 3rd goal was scored by Luna who by proper refereeing would have been sent off long before what was a good goal in the end.
Well said TopGoon- It was obvious after the first 2 minutes they were goingto doallthey neededto stop him havingany say in the game...Why?- because he has the skills and talent to change games- a sign of talent - AgreeLuna should have been Off!...The ref was ***** on saturday, but he didn'tcost us the game..

I remember THAT game at Old Fartford the donkey cuntneville kick Reyes to pieces and Riley (fergies Bitch!) did sweet FA....it was a few weeks later when Reyes accepted the hoax telephone call......and after that it allwent down hill forhim...Sad coz he could have been a damn fine player for us...

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Jack undoubtedly has talent and huge potential, but I worry that he's starting to believe the hype. At the moment he seems to think he can dribble through four or five players and his passing has got worse. Add the petulance and it's a worrying sign.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

GranadaJoe wrote:Jack undoubtedly has talent and huge potential, but I worry that he's starting to believe the hype. At the moment he seems to think he can dribble through four or five players and his passing has got worse. Add the petulance and it's a worrying sign.
I'd say his petulance is down to his lack of fitness and frustration. He looked knackered in the post match interview, like he hadn't slept all night. I'm concerned that a young player who is not 90 minute match fit, is stuck in a team, with all eyes on him, and he can't perform to level that he knows he can and the level that is expected of him, will get frustrated and a bit of self doubt starts creeping in, adding more to the frustration. That is when the manager steps in and gives the kid a break and takes him off, or leaves him out there for character building. Unlike ferguson, wenger IMO gets this wrong more than right, he also does the opposite when a young player is flying, high on confidence then gets benched...The Ox two years ago springs to mind.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Worst thread ever - and god knows there have been more than a few stinkers started on here!! :oops: :lol: To make that judgement on a young guy that everyone in football acknowledges is very talented but has played only one full season due to injury, is plainly ridiculous. :oops: And you know what - even if he is over-rated, he's still the best player in our first team squad!! :oops: :lol: :wink:

Steve_I

Post by Steve_I »

I Hate Hleb wrote:Worst thread ever - and god knows there have been more than a few stinkers started on here!! :oops: :lol: To make that judgement on a young guy that everyone in football acknowledges is very talented but has played only one full season due to injury, is plainly ridiculous. :oops: And you know what - even if he is over-rated, he's still the best player in our first team squad!! :oops: :lol: :wink:
+1

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Topgoon (Ithink) mentioned that Villa did a number on him and to be honest they did. But that's what the best players at the top level have to accept and deal with. Bergkamp used to get lumps kicked out of him but he was also a hard bastard and could dish it out when needed. And he also could just totally outclass the thugs and make them look shit.

Henry similarly did a great number on Mills one time, outclassed the fuck out of him, and then got in his face and laughed at him. Jack needs to get to a place where he doesn't get petulant everytime he's fouled. He needs to just suck it up and smile and then leave a sneaky one on the cúnts and/or outclass them. At the moment oppo defenders know they can wind Jack up with a few late ones and put him off his game.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

WTF.....Just noticed this and it proves my theory (after reading Franks X-Files conspiracy post about Wenger deliberately derailing us) that indeed Wenger is sending all Gooners bonkers after having the audacity to question his management :wink: :lol:

Wonder if you can a get a good stream from the nutty farm.....

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

I admit I was probably going too far in dismissing his chances of ever becoming a top player, but I stand by and firmly believe everything else I've said.
At present pundits are talking about him as if he was having a great game every week, the fact is he isn't and never was.
I watched a game last season in which he was awful (as were the rest of the team) but Gareth Crooks had him in his team of the week, it's just plain fucking hype over an English player.
It doesn't matter one fuck to me whether he is English or any other nationality, I would love him to be doing the business for us every week, but the simple fact is he aint fucking well doing it any fucking week, that is fact.
Let's see where his game is come the end of the season, but I will bet it will be no further forward than it is now.
There was early promise from Wilshere, and looked good when played sparingly with the likes of Cesc and Nasri, but even taking into account his year out, his game has regressed and his temperament worsened.
You can make all the excuses you like, his deployment by Wenger or blame the shite around him ( but that wouldn't explain why he can't play with Carzola)
At the end of the day I don't think he has a good footballing brain and without that all the fancy skills make him nothing more than a circus act.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

'Hasn't got a good footballing brain'. :coffeespit: :coffeespit: Not sure what was funnier sid, the contents of your opening post or your attempt at trying to justifying them. :coffeespit: (or should that be :oops: :oops:) :rubchin: :lol: :wink:

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

Anyway, I think Walcott is the most overrated player, ever... scores a few goals (against shit teams), can't control a ball for toffee, can't cross a ball for toss, can't take a free kick (hits the wall, invariably) and his corners are either headed out by the oppo's first man or snuggles neatly in the keeper's grasp. All this for £100k a week for a weak minded, gay clapping wanker. When he squared up to that Villa player on Saturday it was nearly the funniest thing in the game, (apart from Sir Chesney's foray to the half way line and the gormless *word censored* on the sidelines)

(sorry for changing the thread Sid) :lol: :lol: :lol:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

goonersid wrote: Let's see where his game is come the end of the season, but I will bet it will be no further forward than it is now.
There was early promise from Wilshere, and looked good when played sparingly with the likes of Cesc and Nasri, but even taking into account his year out, his game has regressed and his temperament worsened.
You can make all the excuses you like, his deployment by Wenger or blame the shite around him ( but that wouldn't explain why he can't play with Carzola)
At the end of the day I don't think he has a good footballing brain and without that all the fancy skills make him nothing more than a circus act.
You say you've taken his injury into account, but I'm not sure you have at all :?

Wilshere had 1 season in the Arsenal first team (aged 18 to 19, in 2010/11) before his injury that kept him out of the game for the entire 2011/12 season.

I'm sure we can all appreciate that getting a serious year long injury between ages 19-20 must have one hell of an impact on a young players development.

He came back only last season. A season where he quite clearly struggled for fitness. In fact, he struggled so badly that Wenger rested him for the majority of March and April, and used him sparingly in May. Now considering that was at the business end of the season, I'd imagine his fitness/injury concerns must have been pretty serious at the time.

Even now, he's clearly being eased back in. 45 mins here, 45 mins there, so I wonder whether you're taking that into account either?

Your posts on this thread are, in my opinion, ridiculously unfair and unjustified considering we're discussing a 21 year old who is still battling his way back from injury.

Personally, I think he's a cracking player. He showed that before his injury and he's showed it sporadically since his injury. He was dreadful against Villa and he clearly has a long way to go, but the talent is clearly there and touch wood, with injuries behind him, he'll get his career back on track.

As for your comment about him not having a good footballing brain, I'll assume you mean he's tactically poor rather than a criticism of his vision and awareness?

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Jack could become a great player but is a long way from it now.But according to the English media he is the saviour of English football.Its that word potential again

Can anyone really say he dominates games as Cesc did at his age? Good player yes great player not yet

Agree with frank about Walnutt he really is overated