Swap For Cech

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Which Players Should Not Be Included In A Deal For Cech ?

Gibbs
3%
Chambers
1%
Coquelin
10%
Wally
12%
The Ox
17%
Ramsey
17%
Wilshere
16%
Wellbeck
4%
Bellerin
10%
Chesney
9%

Total votes: 99

arseofacrow

Re: Swap For Cech

Post by arseofacrow »

No problem with the price but I've got a feeling it will be a sticking point for Arsenal.

Would be great to see him sign. His mentality is good and hopefully he could bring some of that to a sometimes absent minded defence.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

arseofacrow wrote:No problem with the price but I've got a feeling it will be a sticking point for Arsenal.

Would be great to see him sign. His mentality is good and hopefully he could bring some of that to a sometimes absent minded defence.
Agree totally. The sounds coming out of the jungle seem good but with our club - and Chelsea involved - you never know. :banghead:

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

Absolutely. And if the price isn't already a sticking point, it sure will be when the Chavs inevitably try to raise it at the last minute. Might I also add that "reliable" sources (BBC, Sky) haven't given it the time of day yet. All just paper talk at the moment as it has been for months

silus

Post by silus »

Anyone else get the feeling this is going to be one of them "we were never in for him" stories?

The chavs obviously won't do us any favours with the price (why should they?).

If it happens though he will be our best keeper since spunky imo.. (easily since Jens).

He may not be at the same (very high) level he was...but he's still much much better than the vast majority of keepers out there.
I'm sure he'll make the odd mistake, but who doesn't...i still blame spunky for the gazza free kick at Wembley in the semi, the half way line final in Paris and some responsibility for the hairy chested fuckers goal at villa park...but forgive him for the saves and points won over the years.

Get it done Arsenal.

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

i suppose it depends on how you see the fee of £11m, Mignolet cost £9m, Craig Gordon cost £9m so at £11m it's a snip. But rumour's De Gea is going back to Madrid for only £13m. Who is ten years younger and on current form is proabably the better keeper.

But if it was me, i'd snap up Cech we have been crying out for a decent keeper since Lehmann left. I still think our current two are suspect and barring injuries we could easily get 5 or 6 years out of this guy.

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

Not a done deal just yet. But looking good

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... understand

Has agreed personal terms, he is grateful to Abramovich for letting him join what club he wants and also it will be a cash deal only :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

United have the same problem with De Gea that we had with Cesc. Just as Barca was the only club Cesc would join De Gea ain't going anywhere but Madrid. You end up losing the player for much less than the market price. Player power.

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:United have the same problem with De Gea that we had with Cesc. Just as Barca was the only club Cesc would join De Gea ain't going anywhere but Madrid. You end up losing the player for much less than the market price. Player power.

Player power can only work when it coincides with greed - the clubs would rather sell for decent money, than to wait and allow the player to walk for nothing the following summer and that to me equates to greed on the clubs behalf. Cesc and rvp signed contracts and as such couldn't bully their way out if the club showed some backbone - if I was decision maker I would rather let a player walk away for free after giving us another season's service, than allow him to leave when it suits him and only get half of what he is worth, Some would argue that the players in question would sulk and not put in the required effort for the season, but I feel that they would be afraid to react that way because future employers might have a closer look at their lack of character plus companies wishing to pay them money for endorsements might back off too

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

As noble as that sounds Augie it's never gonna happen, there's just way too much money involved in those deals for a club to take the moral high ground. The money men at a club see the players as assets first, footballers second and aren't going to turn their arse to millions of pounds just because they believe they are in the right. In the pre premier league era before the game became saturated with cash the clubs had all the power, it's gone a complete 180 now that players hold all the cards, hopefully a happy medium can be found but I doubt it.

SammyDroppedHisShorts
Location: In front of the best fans on earth. The Arse and all.

Post by SammyDroppedHisShorts »

Jens Lehmann was 33
Edwin van der Saar was 33

Cech is 33
The top two got better as they got older
If Cech gets any better than he already is..... Then we have an awesome keeper

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Jesus Christ was 33 and look how that turned out

:wink:

SammyDroppedHisShorts
Location: In front of the best fans on earth. The Arse and all.

Post by SammyDroppedHisShorts »

rodders999 wrote:Jesus Christ was 33 and look how that turned out

:wink:
Yes he was the SAVEIour......get it , plus great with crosses

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

rodders999 wrote:

I wouldn't lose any sleep if Gibbs, Chez or Chambers were part of the deal to be honest. The rest id want to stay.
Agree.

Robin_L

Post by Robin_L »

This would represent the first time ever that Wenger gets one over Mourinho, long may it continue

Ikechukwu1

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

Robin_L wrote:This would represent the first time ever that Wenger gets one over Mourinho, long may it continue
Off the pitch you mean. On it it'll never happen...
Hope this one happens - I recall Arsene's PA on here claiming it'd never happen, and Jose was stringing us along etc...