Debuchy v Bellerin?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Midz

Debuchy v Bellerin?

Post by Midz »

Since Debuchy has been injured young Bellerin has stepped up to the plate and imo done a great job.
I like both these players very much and feel that AW has a tough decision to make in which one to start when both are fit.

Bellerin perhaps isn't as experienced although he showed huge potential last season and even got on the score sheet.
It's a nice problem to have for our team. Shame we don't have the same situation in more places.

burns718

Re: Debuchy v Bellerin?

Post by burns718 »

Midz wrote:Since Debuchy has been injured young Bellerin has stepped up to the plate and imo done a great job.
I like both these players very much and feel that AW has a tough decision to make in which one to start when both are fit.

Bellerin perhaps isn't as experienced although he showed huge potential last season and even got on the score sheet.
It's a nice problem to have for our team. Shame we don't have the same situation in more places.

Play beer in at lower level games and debouchy where experience will be crucial

Supagoon

Post by Supagoon »

I don't rate Debuchy. Bellerin's defensive mistakes are understandable he hasn't got experience to deal with certain situations but he will improve.

Debuchy's mistakes are down to a lack of quality. Still he's useful for the squad but I'd play Bellerin ahead of him.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Supagoon wrote:I don't rate Debuchy. Bellerin's defensive mistakes are understandable he hasn't got experience to deal with certain situations but he will improve.

Debuchy's mistakes are down to a lack of quality. Still he's useful for the squad but I'd play Bellerin ahead of him.
Has Debucy made many mistakes?

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Tbh i'd start with Debuchy and keep Hector ticking over in cup matches and as a substitute.

I'm extremely hopeful that Hector will continue to improve this season but much as i like the lad there have been a few times this season where has worried me, a couple of times where different referees would have given penalties against him and potentially sent him off.

He's young and rash and although that is not necessarily a bad thing in a player, it needs to be carefully tempered and controlled.

Tbh i think RB is one of the places in the team we have no worries as long as the 2 of them are looked after and kept happy in the team

VAVAVOOM 14

Post by VAVAVOOM 14 »

Bellerin. He is a special talent, could potentially become world class.

When you have a prospect of his calibre, as young as he is, he gets the nod - we have to cultivate him.

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

I'm a big Bellerin fan. Think he's going to be at least a really good player, maybe great. I would play him in the majority of games, but wouldnt mind Debuchy getting a few here and there as well.

gp543

Post by gp543 »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Supagoon wrote:I don't rate Debuchy. Bellerin's defensive mistakes are understandable he hasn't got experience to deal with certain situations but he will improve.

Getting beat by Pogrebnyak for Reading's equalizer.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Bellerins done enough to earn his place having Debuchy as cover is comforting however .

augie

Post by augie »

gp543 wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:

Getting beat by Pogrebnyak for Reading's equalizer.

Kos was beaten in the air by gomes in the game v swansea and the grove and yet he is classed as irreplaceable :roll: Are we now writing off players if they make a few mistakes ? Should sanchez be disposed of cos his ball control (many would see that a basic requirement in pro football) frequently let him down last season ? Fact is that every player makes mistakes and unless the mistakes become a regular thing, he should not be written off on the back of those mistakes.

Debouchy wins the vote for me - being an old school defender myself, I regard a players defensive abilities as more important than his abilitiy to get down the line and knock over some good crosses. Debuchy also seems to be a strong physical defender who doesnt shy away from the tackles and his experience would be a factor for me as well.

There is a saying in some sports that it is now a "what have you done for me lately" league but I think that football has become a sport whose motto is "I dont care what you have done for me in the past" - maybe this doesnt quite apply to debuchy but it does apply to bellerin and also to coquelin amongst others. We are now all too ready to annoint players like bellerin and coquelin as future stars despite the fact that they have only been in the first team for 5 months :roll: Players like wilshere and chesney were being lauded by the fans a few years ago and are now being written off by a large percentage of Gooners. Ramsey was the mutts nuts two years ago but would have happily been sold by the majority of Gooners last season. Lets be more realistic in our assessments of these players and curb our expectations until we have seen them turn in consistantly high quality performances for another 12-18 months before we rise them out to automatic first choice level

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

The only thing Debuchy did wrong last season was get injured, he played well at RB and even did well at CB, far better than Monreal did there IMO, ok, he was pretty bad in the semi but he had just come back from a long injury so it's expected that he would be rusty.

It's a tough question as to who gets the nod though because Bellerin took his chance, if we are going for the title though we have to have a rock solid defence to build on so if it was me it would be Debuchy because he's more of a defender while I see Bellerin as more of an attacking fullback.

Bellerin used to be a winger so he's still learning the defensive side of the game.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Bellerin has done marvellously this past season and if he continues to learn and improve at the same rate...then we need to stay with him, unfortunate though that might be for Debuchy who has experience and more creativity - at the moment than Bellerin....Also bellerin is still young and so his body won't be able to cope with playing week in, week out all season...so providing debuschy doesn't get the hump and ask for a transfer - we have 2 very good RB's - The offshoot of hits though is that jenks will probably be sold - which is a pity as he is a Gooner and always gave 101%.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

We're lucky to have two good options. I'd go with Debuchy in the big games, due to experience, confidence and physicality, but AW should be able to rotate them and keep them fresh; at times Bellerin looked out on his feet.

remigardeshair

Post by remigardeshair »

Bellerin's earnt the right to be first choice through his performances whilst Debuchy was unavailable.

It's up to Debuchy to win his place back.

Healthy competition for places, what a novel idea, we should have thought of this before.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Both are a huge improvement over the latter years of Sagna's time with us tbh. Bellerin hasn't done enough wrong to have the shirt taken off him so I'd start him next season. I would expect Deeboochee to now try and earn it back. And that's how it should be - form player plays, other guy trains hard and shows why he deserves to replace him in whatever cup games he gets. 8)