What if Bergkamp never scored that goal v newcastle?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Henry Norris 1913

What if Bergkamp never scored that goal v newcastle?

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

A philosophical question- but also a genuine thought I had today (there is no football on, what else am I supposed to think about)

lets say he does that turn and gets past dabizas, then faces given and blasts it against the post- or given saves it with his foot. Would people watch that back today and think "fuck me what an effort" in the same vain the pele dummy miss is thought of? or would they just think it was a shit finish, all flash no panache. seeing as it was THE best goal in PL football and one of those magic moments that is replayed over and over.

and what would it have done to bergkamp's legacy as a player? true he was renowed worldwide after his screamer v argentina in 98 but at club level he never quite got the adulation he deserved until he scored that goal IMO. non gooners were speaking of him as past it by about 2000. and he had a very quiet season in 2000-01, so the 2001-02 season reignited his career.

but most importantly, would flash believe that he meant it? :rubchin: :wink:

personally, I think DB10 would have just scored another worldie to make up for it, any no-one would have remembered the miss.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Re: What if Bergkamp never scored that goal v newcastle?

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

What if Henry Norris never started THAT thread on gooner 2 gooner :rubchin: :wink: :lol:

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:but most importantly, would flash believe that he meant it? :rubchin: :wink:
:lol:

:rubchin:

Er, no?

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:What if Henry Norris never started THAT thread on gooner 2 gooner :rubchin: :wink: :lol:
it doesn't bear thinking about :shock: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

:rubchin: The question is a non-starter. The concept is... not placed in reality.

Bergkamp miss? :shock:

Simply the greatest goal ever scored. 8)

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

As the great Chippy once said in an interview

'if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle"

8)

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

He did score it and it was the greatest Premier League goal ever...

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

just watched it there again and its just absolute genius!

could watch it over and over again

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

What if Sarah Roberts didn't tell me to go fuck myself when I asked her out when we were 9? Would I be less depraved in 2015? Probably not :lol:

:wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:What if Sarah Roberts didn't tell me to go fuck myself when I asked her out when we were 9? Would I be less depraved in 2015? Probably not :lol:

Please confirm that you were indeed both 9 at the same time. :shock:

:D :wink: :wink:

TheCook

Post by TheCook »

JImmy Carter nearly scored the best goal in the history of the world, ever ; Playing for us away at Sheffield Wednesday on some unimportant end of season game in hand midweek match at Hillsborough ; he honestly went past about 8 players beautifully, and then when one on one with the keeper, had a week finish and the keeper pushed it out for a corner

Does anyone else remember this? 1993 I think?

Or did I dream it??

remigardeshair

Post by remigardeshair »

TheCook wrote:JImmy Carter nearly scored the best goal in the history of the world, ever ; Playing for us away at Sheffield Wednesday on some unimportant end of season game in hand midweek match at Hillsborough ; he honestly went past about 8 players beautifully, and then when one on one with the keeper, had a week finish and the keeper pushed it out for a corner

Or did I dream it??
I remember that.

I also remember Glenn Helder scoring a goal (in a reserver game against Brighton at the old Goldstone ground)

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

rodders999 wrote:What if Sarah Roberts didn't tell me to go fuck myself when I asked her out when we were 9? Would I be less depraved in 2015? Probably not :lol:

Is she still single by any chance

greatgooner

Post by greatgooner »

I've had her. :wink:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

TheCook wrote:JImmy Carter nearly scored the best goal in the history of the world, ever ; Playing for us away at Sheffield Wednesday on some unimportant end of season game in hand midweek match at Hillsborough ; he honestly went past about 8 players beautifully, and then when one on one with the keeper, had a week finish and the keeper pushed it out for a corner

Or did I dream it??
He also scored a legitimate equalizer away v Wrexham in the cup back in 1992, which got ruled out for no reason whatsoever, it wasn't offside, there was no foul, no handball, just a ref who was a twat