Liverpool history lesson for me

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
dano

Liverpool history lesson for me

Post by dano »

Since I am an American in England, can someone give me a history lesson on LFC?

1. What is the Kop? From my outsider view, this seems to be where the rabid fans accumulate.
2. Why did Liverpool adopt a mediocre 60's pop song as their anthem?
3. They seem to have too high amount of ex-players as commentators, most of which are very irritating. Is there any historical reason why the media subjects us to these idiots?

For some reason, and I can't understand this emotion, I really dislike LFC. No real idea why, but something about them really bothers me.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Re: Liverpool history lesson for me

Post by officepest »

Morning Dano.

1. It's like a zoo you get killed at.

2. Because they lack any wit, imagination or flair.

3. They won everything 30 - 40 years ago. This, they believe, gives them the right to bang on about football until the plugs are pulled on their life-support machines.

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO SOME OF THE ANSWERS THAT WILL BE POSTED HERE :lol: :barscarf: :lol:

gp543

Post by gp543 »

1. The largest collection of murderers outside of the Middle East.

2. Because it was the first thing they heard when electricity finally reached Liverpool.

3. Used to having things handed to them so a plum spot at Sky or BT was just the next perk in line.

paul_r

Post by paul_r »

1. Criminals on bail have to report to a police station every so often. Liverpool nick couldn't cope with the numbers so they chose a football stadium instead

2. Just look at X factor etc

3. This country belives in rehabilating criminals by giving them jobs. Stupid concept really

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

dano wrote:Since I am an American in England, can someone give me a history lesson on LFC?

1. What is the Kop? From my outsider view, this seems to be where the rabid fans accumulate.
3. They seem to have too high amount of ex-players as commentators, most of which are very irritating. Is there any historical reason why the media subjects us to these idiots?

For some reason, and I can't understand this emotion, I really dislike LFC. No real idea why, but something about them really bothers me.
I like you already! :D 8)

1. A stand behind the goal at one end of the toilet that is Anfield, it's named after the Spion Kop - a famous battle in the Boar war back when our lovely Ingerlish friends went round the world committing genocide. :lol: :wink: Interestingly, The Arsenal had a "Kop End" 2 years before Liverpool did.

2. Christ knows.

3. The media in general is fuckwittery at its worst, run by fuckwits. 8)

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

:lol: :lol:

1. I thought that KOP stood for Kriminals On Parade, which sort of fits in with the bail reference.

2. The Ferry cross the Mersey I believe refers again to the criminality where all the Welsh convicts were transported from BIRK enhead (Hence the reference to Birks) to Liverpool, The combination of Welsh and Liverpool gave all inhabitants a painful speech impediment which persists to this day

3. I gather that because Liverpool have never won the Premier League the BBC as compensation (And all scousers love compensation as we know) have to employ more of them as an antidiscrimination thing. :wink:

officepest

Post by officepest »

DB10GOONER wrote:1. A stand behind the goal at one end of the toilet that is Anfield, it's named after the Spion Kop - a famous battle in the Boar war back when our lovely Ingerlish friends went round the world committing genocide. :lol: :wink: Interestingly, The Arsenal had a "Kop End" 2 years before Liverpool did.
Somebody had to teach the porcine hordes a lesson. :lol: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

officepest wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:1. A stand behind the goal at one end of the toilet that is Anfield, it's named after the Spion Kop - a famous battle in the Boar war back when our lovely Ingerlish friends went round the world committing genocide. :lol: :wink: Interestingly, The Arsenal had a "Kop End" 2 years before Liverpool did.
Somebody had to teach the porcine hordes a lesson. :lol: :wink:
:lol:

And how you did! :D :wink:

wilko49er

Post by wilko49er »

1. Its a place where they learn their to throw their arms around excitedly, and talk in a shit accent (fighting skills)
2. They are taught merseyside beat songs as nursery rhymes. You will notice the words are sung slowly, too aid the retarded.
3. Because they are cheap, and no body really gives a fuck what they have too say. Except their mums.

Herd

Post by Herd »

DB10GOONER wrote:
dano wrote:Since I am an American in England, can someone give me a history lesson on LFC?

1. A stand behind the goal at one end of the toilet that is Anfield, it's named after the Spion Kop - a famous battle in the Boar war back when our lovely Ingerlish friends went round the world committing genocide. :lol: :wink: Interestingly, The Arsenal had a "Kop End" 2 years before Liverpool did.

2. Christ knows.

I object to this racist interpretation of History ........................you should have inserted the word "known" before world ,surely there had to be somewhere we didn't kill off the natives whilst ruining their economy !

officepest

Post by officepest »

Herd wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

2. Christ knows.

I object to this racist interpretation of History ........................you should have inserted the word "known" before world ,surely there had to be somewhere we didn't kill off the natives whilst ruining their economy !
Argentina?

Can't take the 'credit' for that one.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Herd wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

2. Christ knows.

Ireland? :rubchin:

You killed a lot of us, but we had fuck all economy for you to ruin at the time! :lol:

Except for the potatoes. And then you even went and fucking hid a load of them so 2 million inbred culchies starved to death, because at the end of the day, you will pay the price if you are a fussy eater. If they could afford to emigrate, then they could afford to eat in a modest restaurant. :D :wink:

officepest

Post by officepest »

DB10GOONER wrote:because at the end of the day, you will pay the price if you are a fussy eater. If they could afford to emigrate, then they could afford to eat in a modest restaurant. :D :wink:

Do you know if it was Linehan and/or Matthews that wrote that scene? Because it is still the funniest, most cringe worthy piece of comedy ever.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

officepest wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:because at the end of the day, you will pay the price if you are a fussy eater. If they could afford to emigrate, then they could afford to eat in a modest restaurant. :D :wink:

Do you know if it was Linehan and/or Matthews that wrote that scene? Because it is still the funniest, most cringe worthy piece of comedy ever.
I don't think Lenehan/Matthews wrote it tbh. The only writing credit I've seen for it is for Peter Baynham, Steve Coogan and Armando Iannucci. It is quite possible they contributed some dialogue during rehearsals or filming though.

But I agree it is piss funny. :lol: This whole bit still cracks me up;

"I think the Irish are going through a major image change. I mean, the old image of leprechauns, shamrock, Guinness. Horses running through council estates. Toothless simpletons. People with eyebrows on their cheeks. Badly tarmacked drives, in this country. Men in platform shoes being arrested for bombings. Lots of rocks, and Beamish. I think people are saying “Yes, there’s more to Ireland than this”. A good slogan for the tourist board; There’s more to Oi-reland, DAN DIS."

:lol: :lol: