Mesut Ozil

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Should we sell Ozil?

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes: 80

northbank123

Mesut Ozil

Post by northbank123 »

Yet again after a big game and a disappointing defeat everybody is questioning where the fuck Ozil was. I've seen quite a few posts suggesting we should get shot. I know that plenty of people will say "yes but...." or "no unless...." but to gauge opinion it's a straight yes or no poll.

For me it's a yes. Whatever the reason, it's just not working. Like everyone else I thought we were going to get a world-beater and whatever the mitigation (shit strikers and being marooned out on the wing being the main ones) he just hasn't been that. His dazzling performances have been few and far between and if anything seem to be getting rarer. I do think that he does a lot that often goes unnoticed but it's just not enough.

I've run out of patience with him and think we should follow United' example with di Maria by cutting our losses and recouping as much of what we paid as possible.

begeegs

Re: Mesut Ozil - should we sell?

Post by begeegs »

He doesn't suit the Premier League. He may have bulked up, but he still shies away from tackles or putting a foot in. He doesn't fit into how we play or set up in any way. Sadly, there may be something in this Fenerbache bid - I hope they bid for him. On his day, he can be amazing, but in big games, he often disappears.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

begeegs wrote:He doesn't suit the Premier League. He may have bulked up, but he still shies away from tackles or putting a foot in. He doesn't fit into how we play or set up in any way. Sadly, there may be something in this Fenerbache bid - I hope they bid for him. On his day, he can be amazing, but in big games, he often disappears.
Thought Fenerbahce is a bit strange - they are shit and as far as I'm aware they're not absolutely loaded with money? I know that he has Turkish descent but why we he leave a cushy life with a great wage in a good league in London to go to Turkey?

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Yes.

I think he is the best passer of the ball we have had since Bergkamp, in terms of him knowing what pass he will make before receiving the ball.
That part of his game is so good it scares me...when I first saw him play in real life I sat there stunned at how incredible this part of his game was.

He has shown effort, adding a bit of muscle.

But as others write his overall game just is not working.

I think he can be used to brilliant effect in another side but he does not suit how we play.
He needs to be in a counter attacking side with strong runners....we could set up like that with Walcott, Ramsey and Oxlade-Chamberlain benefitting from Ozil's passing, but we do not play like that....for better?
No...for worse.

Of the top English teams I think he would fare best at Man City, but a summer move overseas would be in the mutual interest.

To be honest, I am not sure why we bought him considering the way we play.

But if we had a time machine and could transport him back to the summer of 2002, he would be an amazing option in the squad.

Peeman

Post by Peeman »

A luxury player. A heart the size of pea. But he definitely is world class.

Our team is not strong enough to get away with the lack of heart especially when we have The flat track bully Cazorla and him in the same team.

The middle of the field is where its all won and lost and yet we have two that when the going gets tough they go missing. We'll get away with it against the bums and this is why we continually get top 4. But its also why we do fuck all in the big games.

4-5-1 No Santi in big games I'd have him.

4-4-2 He can never be part of unless he's one of the two up top and he ain't a striker.

I'd sell if we could get good cash for him.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I remember being on here the night we signed him saying he was exactly the type of player we didn't need, but quite a few seemed to think I was just being negative for negative sake. The problem is that I don't see how he can be regularly accommodated in our set-up, just like Peeman has said.

That's one of the biggest issues with Wenger - we only play 4-5-1 regardless of the oppo so in the big games a midfielder like him who doesn't perform any defensive duties is totally ineffective. Shame because the guy is definitely very talented but just like Arshavin, he can't play in this formation in certain games. He'll be fine at home swatting shit like Stoke and Olympiakos where the oppo barely have the desire to cross the halfway line but he will be anonymous in games like the Chavs and City away.

Of course, the manager could occasionally change the formation but that would be asking just too much now wouldn't it ?

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

No. Knee jerk reaction after an average performance. If the bloke scores 2 and sets up 2 against our next opponents everyone will be loving him again.

We are way to eager to write off our players.

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

northbank123 wrote:
begeegs wrote:He doesn't suit the Premier League. He may have bulked up, but he still shies away from tackles or putting a foot in. He doesn't fit into how we play or set up in any way. Sadly, there may be something in this Fenerbache bid - I hope they bid for him. On his day, he can be amazing, but in big games, he often disappears.
Thought Fenerbahce is a bit strange - they are shit and as far as I'm aware they're not absolutely loaded with money? I know that he has Turkish descent but why we he leave a cushy life with a great wage in a good league in London to go to Turkey?
I would imagine because they would pay him more and he would be lauded as a saviour there. Maybe if Wenger does go, the next manager would get better out of him.

Personally, I think that he really should be playing in the hole with a speedy striker and not on the wing where he can't put in a defensive shift. We don't really have a speedy striker (Theo is not a striker). His experiment on the wing is as much an abortion as Ramsey on the wing.

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

QuartzGooner wrote:
To be honest, I am not sure why we bought him considering the way we play.
To be honest, I think that you do know why we bought him with no consideration to how we play. Because Wenger doesn't do tactics.

Peeman

Post by Peeman »

Rosie_titters wrote:No. Knee jerk reaction after an average performance. If the bloke scores 2 and sets up 2 against our next opponents everyone will be loving him again.

We are way to eager to write off our players.
Actually didn't think he was that bad yesterday. His vision and passing is top of the range and again if we were only carrying him as our luxury player i'd have him. But him Santi and Wally ain't gonna give u much fight and guile when its needed in the big games at home and especially not when ur away to that bunch of chavscum. The 6ft 7inch german vagina when he hasn't got a cold can be added to the lack of heart brigade only he'll have the armband instead of Santi.

U can't be carrying that many players and expect to get away with it. To be fair it used to be worse we used to be carrying players with lack of heart coupled with players who were plain out shite ie Lack of heart - Arshavin, Clichy, Adeysawhore. Plain out shite - Comedy Eboue, Denilson, Leo Bendtner, Song, The clown(captain), Flapianski, Squiddy (captain). There are others but these mother fuckers played alot of games on a regular basis.

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:I remember being on here the night we signed him saying he was exactly the type of player we didn't need, but quite a few seemed to think I was just being negative for negative sake. The problem is that I don't see how he can be regularly accommodated in our set-up, just like Peeman has said.

That's one of the biggest issues with Wenger - we only play 4-5-1 regardless of the oppo so in the big games a midfielder like him who doesn't perform any defensive duties is totally ineffective. Shame because the guy is definitely very talented but just like Arshavin, he can't play in this formation in certain games. He'll be fine at home swatting shit like Stoke and Olympiakos where the oppo barely have the desire to cross the halfway line but he will be anonymous in games like the Chavs and City away.

Of course, the manager could occasionally change the formation but that would be asking just too much now wouldn't it ?

You weren't the only one steve o - I suggested way back then, that keeping cazorla and ozil was pointless as they both play the same position. I actually went so far as to suggest that we should have looked to sell cazorla cos ozil is def the better player of the two of them, but I got absolutely lambasted on here for even thinking about offloading cazorla :roll:

Have tbh and say that right now I don't care whether we keep ozil or not - I have been around long enough to know that he doesn't suit our "system", but I also know that whoever is brought in to replace him will be equally as unsuitable to the system :roll:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

I've always felt that he really doesn't want to actually be at Arsenal. He's a good player and I think he's good to have around the dressing room but I don't think he wanted to come here and was basically told by Real Madrid that the money's too good to turn down and you're off. From Real and Ronaldo to Arsenal, Wenger and Giroud in a matter of days.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

Yeah fuck it, why not?

It doesn’t matter who we have in the side; Wenger will get top four and we’ll continue to melt in big matches. I think I’ll only care about the personnel once we have a manager who isn’t stuck in 1998.

We'll be lucky to get £20m though, what with our appalling recent record for negotiating transfer fees.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Absolutely not. He was signed to create opportunities, which he has done consistently. He was the catalyst to ending our trophy drought back to back FA Cups is better than nothing at all. He has been tracking back and tackling but he's not very good at it that's why he has 3 yellow cards. Is he the problem...no he isn't. Sanchez has done fuck all this season but no one is digging him out...

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Augie

I remember your thread but I think the problem is how Ozil has fitted in, and Cazorla if played deeper in midfield is not a major part of the problem in isolation, it is about how we play as a team, and the focus in training on short passing at the expense of longer passes.
Currently we use Walcott as solo striker.
He is effective in this role when played a certain type of pass, such as for his goal versus Stoke.
But this type of pass is too seldom played to him.

Nos 89

If I was manager, I would have ordered Sanchez to stay on the beach until now.
He was tired last January, but played in the South American Championship and returned to us in August....crazy.