shocking club photo

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: shocking club photo

Post by DB10GOONER »

Theoperator wrote:Oh dear oh dear, why do people get offended about what was evidently lads banter less than 40 years after the mother or grandmother of all wars- remember these lads were bought up less than 10 to 20 years after the war, some still in rations, their parents were in all likelihood involved in some horrific things - the perspective has changed massively FFS, no one famous would be likely to pose like that these days, no one would have hair like Alan Sunderlands now, no one would wear shorts like they used to. Lifes changed, and to judge their attitudes etc based on a photo is a little sad.

What no one else has commented on is a lack of the 3 coloured Arsenal players of that time, two were not fringe players, Davis and Whyte and Meade was handy too, yet they werent there- that for me is relatively more upsetting, but similarly a sign of the times. There is no way that a photo of Arsenal lads parties for at least the last 20 years would lack our coloured players, no way. Shows how things have changed for the better in many ways, though worsened in loads, bet their beer was only 20p a pint if that :oops:
I still don't see anyone on here that was massively offended by it.... :rubchin:

Also my black mate Barry says the word "coloured" is offensive. He prefers the word "black". :D :wink:

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Theoperator wrote:Oh dear oh dear, why do people get offended about what was evidently lads banter less than 40 years after the mother or grandmother of all wars- remember these lads were bought up less than 10 to 20 years after the war, some still in rations, their parents were in all likelihood involved in some horrific things - the perspective has changed massively FFS, no one famous would be likely to pose like that these days, no one would have hair like Alan Sunderlands now, no one would wear shorts like they used to. Lifes changed, and to judge their attitudes etc based on a photo is a little sad.

What no one else has commented on is a lack of the 3 coloured Arsenal players of that time, two were not fringe players, Davis and Whyte and Meade was handy too, yet they werent there- that for me is relatively more upsetting, but similarly a sign of the times. There is no way that a photo of Arsenal lads parties for at least the last 20 years would lack our coloured players, no way. Shows how things have changed for the better in many ways, though worsened in loads, bet their beer was only 20p a pint if that :oops:
I still don't see anyone on here that was massively offended by it.... :rubchin:

Also my black mate Barry says the word "coloured" is offensive. He prefers the word "black". :D :wink:
:D

Coloured is extremely offensive. Not to me though (I'm the whitest person in the world. FACT!). :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

arseofacrow wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

:D

Coloured is extremely offensive. Not to me though (I'm the whitest person in the world. FACT!). :barscarf:
I know! I've met you, ya pasty chalky looking motherfucker! :lol: :wink:

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Theoperator wrote: What no one else has commented on is a lack of the 3 coloured Arsenal players of that time
The photo is only of nine of the players, so more of that season's squad are not in it regardless of colour.
That said I would really like to read an autobiography by Paul Davis if he ever chooses to write one.
Not especially for any racial angles, not ignoring them either, as they will be of interest, but he was at the cub under Neill and Graham and must have seen some interesting changes to the way things were run.

Theoperator wrote: no one would have hair like Alan Sunderlands now,
I am no style guru, but it seems there is a bit of an Afro revival these days...

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

QuartzGooner wrote:
Theoperator wrote: no one would have hair like Alan Sunderlands now,
I am no style guru, but it seems there is a bit of an Afro revival these days...
:oops: I meant anyone any good at football Quartz :lol: :wink: