Should we make a cheeky bid for Lukaku?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
casgooner

Should we make a cheeky bid for Lukaku?

Post by casgooner »

He's young. he's strong, he scores, what's not to like!!!

MrT

Re: Should we make a cheeky bid for Lukaku?

Post by MrT »

We should stop making cheeky threads asking if we should make cheeky bids for players that aren't good enough.

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

He's scored a far post header at Norwich but since then has had an airshot and fluffed a tap in. We've already got plenty of players who can do that.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

More mobile than Giroud but I reckon the same quality of goalscoring. If he was knocking them in like wrighty or shearer than yes, but he's no better than what we already have. A like for like replacement for giroud when he hits 30.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

I guess it depends where you're coming from.

I'm sure we all have a view of the quality of player we should be attracting, and if we use that yardstick then Lukaku, Vardy etc aren't up to it, but if you'd accept players below that quality who would nevertheless improve us then they both would be good signings.
Besides which, we don't just need better players, we need more players. I'd be happy with Lukaku.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

He’s far from the finished article but I like what I’ve seen from him; strong, quick a handful for defenders. He can go missing in games though, and is worryingly left-footed (v. similar to Le Chapman) but he’s a good player and I’d be happy with him.

The only problem with a “cheeky” bid is that Everton spent the best part of £30m on him so I couldn’t see them taking less than £50m, which would be crazy money.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

MrT wrote:We should stop making cheeky threads asking if we should make cheeky bids for players that aren't good enough.
aren't good enough :lol:

he's 22 and probably the second best striker in the league, behind aguero.

but pest is right, he ain't going unless silly money is offered. and he ain't clinical either, he has a lot of brainfarts. still a world above what we have and more than good enough though. really rate him.

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

A chicken biryani and a warm bottle of Chardonnay.
Cheeky enough?

We've enough dross in the squad.
Just like Vardy, he's showing some form just now but he's way below what we need. Campbell, Giroud, Welbeck and Walnut are no better or no worse than Lukaku or Vardy.

WENGER OUT

armchair

Post by armchair »

Who needs him when we have Yaya to come back and strengthen us? Its all about economics folks. We have the best manager in the world for that.

Wake me up Yaya Sanogo
Take me dancing tonite!
:barscarf:

MrT

Post by MrT »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
MrT wrote:We should stop making cheeky threads asking if we should make cheeky bids for players that aren't good enough.
aren't good enough :lol:

he's 22 and probably the second best striker in the league, behind aguero.

but pest is right, he ain't going unless silly money is offered. and he ain't clinical either, he has a lot of brainfarts. still a world above what we have and more than good enough though. really rate him.
That right there shows the complete lack of quality strikers in the PL these days. Lukaku is Everton level, none of the big clubs will make an effort to sign him. You said it already, not clinical enough and has brainfarts up the arse. Suarez/Benzema/Cavani are the calibre of strikers we should be signing, Lukaku is 2nd tier. People have become so desperate for a world class striker that any minor improvement over what we have is welcomed without question.

Sean

Post by Sean »

He'd be worth having over the French Lamp Post, but not at the price it'd take to get him.

There seems to be a dearth of talent and transfer fees have inflated to ridiculous levels even for bang average players.

If only we could produce our own strikers, eh Arsene? :rubchin: :banghead:

ts100uk

Post by ts100uk »

Would need to be a hell of a bid and don't believe Everton would sell him for less than 50 million at this moment in time

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Very erratic for me - reminds of Benteke who I was equally switched off by when people were quoting £30m+

At times they look like world beaters but most of the time they look like they are tripping over their own feet and couldn't trap a bag of cement

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

Agree with the posters here. He isn't good enough for us. I wouldn't pay £30 million for him. I don't think that he is as good as Giroud. He is more mobile and arguably more physical, but hasn't the intelligence of Giroud. And I am not Girouds biggest fan.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

NO, HES A LAZY FUCK