Joel Campbell

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
ts100uk

Joel Campbell

Post by ts100uk »

Joel Campbell is improving all the time and there have been moments when he has been hugely impressive and he is becoming an increasingly more important member of the squad and proving many wrong

SteveO 35

Re: Joel Campbell

Post by SteveO 35 »

If proving people wrong comes in the form of 2 decent performances against Sunderland and Olympiacos then indeed you're right. Of course, the likes of the Ox have come into the side and had impressive runs of form before ultimately fading away and arguably now being no further forward than 3 years ago.

Campbell will have proved people wrong when he's a first choice and doing it on a consistent basis

wibble

Post by wibble »

Indeed-he has proved nothing yet. I do at least feel he has potential to be a good squad player unlike sanogo for example

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

He has gotten better and better, albeit the sides that he has played pretty well against haven't been the best. He needs to keep other players out of the squad by delivering consistently good performances for a bit before the claims that the poster on this thread can be considered valid.

Even if and when that occurs, there will still be doubters. One only needs to look at the debates surrounding Coquelin to see this.

For me, he is a good squad player that should be kept. He works hard and puts in a shift defensively which his other competition usually shirk. However, he needs to keep delivering the creativity that he showed in Greece to be considered to be better on the wing than Ramsey (in Wengers eyes).

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

Sadly for Mr Campbell. If everyone was fit and that is a big IF he wouldn't even be in the match day squad.

5th choice behind Giroud, Sanchez, Walcott, Welbeck.

markyp

Post by markyp »

Rosie_titters wrote:Sadly for Mr Campbell. If everyone was fit and that is a big IF he wouldn't even be in the match day squad.

not necessarily,a good run with good form and that place is his

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

markyp wrote:
Rosie_titters wrote:Sadly for Mr Campbell. If everyone was fit and that is a big IF he wouldn't even be in the match day squad.

not necessarily,a good run with good form and that place is his
Not why Wenger is in charge. :D I think Campbell is a half decent player he showed that in the WC and when at Olympiakos. But Wenger is a bit like Woy with England he always sticks with the same old.

trustno10

Post by trustno10 »

He's an average squad player, and I doubt he has much more potential than that for us. Unfortunately the same can be said of the Ox

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

trustno10 wrote:He's an average squad player, and I doubt he has much more potential than that for us. Unfortunately the same can be said of the Ox

Difference being Campbell puts in a good shift, not sure you can say the same for Chamberlain

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

He was back to his mediocre self today.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Don't think anybody could accuse him of not putting a shift in but that just isn't enough.

He does try and be direct when he gets it but just doesn't make enough of the right runs (on and off the ball) and final ball is too often smashed aimlessly across the box rather than trying to pick out somebody in particular.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Down the years there have been many arsenal players that have flattered to deceive and been written off by gooners. I remember Martin Keown used to get slagged off rotten at Highbury when he returned from Everton. Monreal was utter turd when he joined, now he is one of the first names on the team sheet.

My point about Campbell is he definitely has the quality, has performed well on the world stage and in Europe so just give the lad a chance ffs. This is the first time he's genuinely had the opportunity to have a run in the side.

scotgooner

Post by scotgooner »

nut flush gooner wrote:Down the years there have been many arsenal players that have flattered to deceive and been written off by gooners. I remember Martin Keown used to get slagged off rotten at Highbury when he returned from Everton. Monreal was utter turd when he joined, now he is one of the first names on the team sheet.

My point about Campbell is he definitely has the quality, has performed well on the world stage and in Europe so just give the lad a chance ffs. This is the first time he's genuinely had the opportunity to have a run in the side.
well said

Sean

Post by Sean »

Will he ever be played in the correct position? Striker.

Knowing TOF, he'll play him at left wing for the rest of his Arsenal career.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

If his quality matched his effort we would have a hell of a player.

His application is a joy to watch when we have had years of players who really couldn't give a shit, I hope a run of matches gives him some unbelievable belief and he can play a key part in our title run in. :barscarf:

If he turns into our Chris Wrey from 98 he will have made a massive contribution - if the outcome is the same as 98 we will all be happy.

:barscarf: