Joel Campbell

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
ts100uk

Re: Joel Campbell

Post by ts100uk »

Excellent finish today against Sunderland & another really good all round performance from this improving player who is growing in confidence & becoming increasingly effective

markyp

Post by markyp »

he hasn't really done much wrong with this run in the team and some of his vision for passing is Ozil like,the weight on the pass to put bellerin in for our second against sunderland was sublime,if ozil had done it we'd be purring.give him a break,give him a run and watch him grow

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

He is an improving honest player and has done as much as Theo to keep his place when (or if) the injured players return.

Robin_L

Post by Robin_L »

Needs to basically play an outstanding game every time he's on the field to have a realistic chance in the squad, but he's certainly doing that over the last few appearances or so. I prefer him to Oxlade-Chamberlain at the moment, although it's going to hard to keep them both indefinitely.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Fair play to him, he's doing better than he was at the start of the season. Miles ahead of the Ox in terms of deserving to play this season. Took his goal well and shows a lot of promise when he get's into such positions.

Sean

Post by Sean »

I doubt he'll ever play in his proper position of striker at Arsenal (no surprise there :roll: ), but he is proving he can do a job on the left wing.

TOF seems to be playing Campbell and Walcott on opposite wings at times this season. What is the fucking point of that? Campbell seems to be as left footed as Giroud, so why play him on the right?

Anyway, good on Campbell for getting the equalizer yesterday. Things could have ended badly had we not gone in at 1-1 for HT.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Fair play, took his goal well yesterday and as has been said above if Ozil had played that ball into Bellerin for the second goal people would have been creaming themselves.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Sean wrote:I doubt he'll ever play in his proper position of striker at Arsenal (no surprise there :roll: ), but he is proving he can do a job on the left wing.

TOF seems to be playing Campbell and Walcott on opposite wings at times this season. What is the fucking point of that? Campbell seems to be as left footed as Giroud, so why play him on the right?

Anyway, good on Campbell for getting the equalizer yesterday. Things could have ended badly had we not gone in at 1-1 for HT.
Can only assume so that Campbell and Theo can both come inside to give themselves a shot with their preferred foot rather than always take the outside route which is less of a danger for the defender (who is usually instructed to force them wide not inside)

Worked pretty well for Bobby Pires, who would play on the left and unleash the odd pearler or two :barscarf:

Have only seen the highlights but Joel looked good - hope he can keep it up - competition for places, decent substitute options who may be required to make an impact could well turn out to be vital.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Loved his finish for the goal. Thought he was going to leather it and see it fly over the bar but he passed it into the net.
Doesn't matter which wing he and Walcott play on they can be just as effective or ineffective on either wing. I like it when they switch between them, can see it working really well when Alexis comes back and all three can switch and confuse defenses...Giroud is a bit more restrictive in his play.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Thought that was his best game in the shirt on Saturday and the type of cool finish that he may well have fluffed when he first came into the side or was coming off the bench. Still some way to go before he convinces me he could be a regular first teamer when everyone is available but he is offering a nice balance with his left foot and putting in a good shift as others have said

armchair

Post by armchair »

SteveO 35 wrote:Thought that was his best game in the shirt on Saturday and the type of cool finish that he may well have fluffed when he first came into the side or was coming off the bench. Still some way to go before he convinces me he could be a regular first teamer when everyone is available but he is offering a nice balance with his left foot and putting in a good shift as others have said
I havent been his biggest fan to date but if he keeps progressing and keeps Alex Oxlaide-stupidhair away then its win win. :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

As someone that absolutely didn't rate him anytime I saw him play, I have to admit to being very surprised by Campbell's upturn in form. Still a way to go IMHO but he has deffo improved and has to be ahead of a very disillusioned and demotivated looking Ox who looks like his confidence is shot. :|

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

DB10GOONER wrote:As someone that absolutely didn't rate him anytime I saw him play, I have to admit to being very surprised by Campbell's upturn in form. Still a way to go IMHO but he has deffo improved and has to be ahead of a very disillusioned and demotivated looking Ox who looks like his confidence is shot. :|
And the worst part is we can't even pin the blame on an American dentist!! :-P :-P :wink: (Too soon? :rubchin: :lol: :wink: )

Sean

Post by Sean »

StuartL wrote:Can only assume so that Campbell and Theo can both come inside to give themselves a shot with their preferred foot rather than always take the outside route which is less of a danger for the defender (who is usually instructed to force them wide not inside)
It makes sense. But doesn't shooting go against the rules of TOF's tippy-tappy? :)

We should be trying to get in behind teams and stretching them. Then again, I don't have '30 years in football' :barscarf:

Post by 1989 »

The boy is talented, hard working and has a pearl of a left foot. What's not to like? Leaves everything on the pitch as well, unlike some of his pampered English team mates *cough* Theo & Ox *cough*. Then again he used to play football with pepsi cans in the streets of Costa Rica and has had a difficult route to the top, bit like Alexis, whereas the likes of Theo and Ox have had everything handed to them on a plate from a very young age. :roll:

Well played Joel, keep it up lad. A goal today against the mousers would go a long way to cementing your increasing status at the club.