Toughest or easiest to win in years?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: Toughest or easiest to win in years?

Post by augie »

northbank123 wrote:
Herd wrote:Well I would happily eat a large slice of humble pie and win it rather than feasting on bitterness and crow !
Don't care how don't care why just want us to win the fucking thing !
Absolutely. Nothing would give me more happiness than having egg on my face watching us celebrate something I never thought we'd win.

Totally agree with you - to win a league again would be brilliant for us fans, and could be brilliant for the club if they use it as a stepping stone to really kick on and build on that success (although if we are all honest we will admit that we couldnt be confident that the club would do that). The thing is (and I know that we have all said this for years) we are not far away from having a top quality dominating side if le cock added 3 or 4 quality signings (in positions of need) in the next 2 transfer windows - contrast that with citeeh, the chavs, manure and the victims who will all be in varying stages of upheaval as their new managers change their squads/tactics/formation etc. This is our chance IF we push hard for it

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Herd wrote:Well I would happily eat a large slice of humble pie and win it rather than feasting on bitterness and crow !
Don't care how don't care why just want us to win the fucking thing !
Absolutely will be fucking delirious if we can get that premiership this season, i think they can do it

jonny3110

Post by jonny3110 »

Understand all points regarding the fact it's easier with the top teams dropping, but gone are the days of a gimme. I do feel that teams below have become more competitive as well - whilst Bale and Modric were at that shit down the road previously and we once had Tevez and Mascherano at Wet Spam, it's clear to see with teams like Stoke, Leicester, West Ham now even with players like Payet and Sakho that the competitive edge has increased. There has also been a LOT of cash spent by Citeh and Yanited, plus throw in Chelsea adding Begovic and Pedro to their squads, it's not easy to get a winning formula. I do agree with all though on the Utd and Chelsea sides of old - even us would have walked this year but I don't think you would see an Invincibles these days!

BTW to add, I am in no way suggesting if he fails this season it's forgivable. There's reading between the lines and leaping to a conclusion. If he doesn't do it this year, sad reality is he never ever will. Whilst it IS our best chance to win it in years for how we're now set up, I am still not having the whole this league should be pissed through view completely as if it was that easy, Utd and the Chavs would be well in it! Not to mention the millions that the bin dippers spend year on year for an absolute shambles of a side with no balance what so ever. Spuds fans already saying if they win it it's been given to them!

And no Top Londoner, you're not eloquent in your responses but all entitled to an opinion. I'm not Wenger Out, but he is probably the most frustrating manager of the past decade with his stubbornness, but he does want what is best for the club in his opinion. I can see why people get extremely annoyed by it - as do I in our dark moments of which there have been plenty!

And...IF we did go onto do it (huge if...) it would feel just as sweet as any other title, maybe even more so with the wait us lot have had!!!

Robin_L

Post by Robin_L »

Toughest to win in years.

You've got Bojan playing for Stoke, the likes of Mahrez happy to ply his trade at a club the size of Leicester. Payet at West Ham. Top quality players just happy to get their foot in the door and play in this league.

It's the toughest league in Europe and the toughest to win in years, nevermind about Chelsea falling away, it's about the fact that you have most teams in the league capable of taking points off anyone else.

So, toughest to win in years. Still, it's funny to read those people looking to get their anti-Wenger excuses formed nice and early just in case we do happen to win it :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

Robin_L wrote:Toughest to win in years.

You've got Bojan playing for Stoke, the likes of Mahrez happy to ply his trade at a club the size of Leicester. Payet at West Ham. Top quality players just happy to get their foot in the door and play in this league.

It's the toughest league in Europe and the toughest to win in years, nevermind about Chelsea falling away, it's about the fact that you have most teams in the league capable of taking points off anyone else.

So, toughest to win in years. Still, it's funny to read those people looking to get their anti-Wenger excuses formed nice and early just in case we do happen to win it :lol:

Seriously ?? Who the fcuk heard of mahrez and payet before leicester and the shammers bought them ? There is a very good reason why these clubs were able to buy them and that is because no bigger clubs had confidence that they were good enough.
Similar situation with bojan - since he made his debut for barca 9 years ago, he has bounced around clubs in europe on loan and no-one wanted to buy him. This was also shown up by the fact that stoke were able to buy him for £1.8 million - seems an absolute snip now but prior to last season he hadnt come close to fulfilling the early promise he showed.
Referring to those players as "top quality" is not an accurate reflection on the ratings of the players when those clubs signed them

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Dont really buy the Bojan playing for Stoke to get his foot in the PL door story- the smaller clubs can now afford to pay these players handsomly and so they are happy to be a star playing consistently in a smaller team rather than a bit part in a rotating bigger team.

The very poor show for British teams in Europe shows haw far we have drifted. The initial buying power is still there, but for various reasons we dont seem to be able to attract/ retain the best players.

Supagoon

Post by Supagoon »

Augie is right.

When we had a very good Arsenal side in 2007/2008, we were fighting it out against a top quality Utd side that would go on to win the European cup. This time that year we had 40pts already, other title winners have had 39pts. I can't see this City team we just beat or our side, anywhere as good as the utd team that year. Don't even need to mention Chelsea or Utd's current sides.

Only City look poised to make the Last 16, unless something unexpected happens.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

If Pep or Ancelotti were to take over in the morning we'd piss the league given it's current state. I just don't have any confidence in Wenger being able to bag it. He'll fumble and dither his way through January and when the pressure is applied and the wheels start to fall off during the run in he'll be powerless to stop it. Next season City/Chavs and United will all be stronger so if he doesn't win it this year he will NEVER do it.

ts100uk

Post by ts100uk »

Fantastic opportunity to win it and based on recent years , this is definitely the easiest opportunity we have had with so many other normal contenders having such a poor season.

Our wins Away at Palace , Leicester and Watford are now looking even more impressive better based on the points these clubs are now taking off so many.

I really do believe that we will come the end of the season get this one over the line and be Champions

MrT

Post by MrT »

If we win the league after the biggest transfer window fuckup in history, with Wenger as manager, Giroud as our main striker and Flamini as our DM, I will run naked up and down Gillespie Road unironically shouting ''THERE'S ONLY ONE ARSENE WENGER''

casgooner

Post by casgooner »

MrT wrote:If we win the league after the biggest transfer window fuckup in history, with Wenger as manager, Giroud as our main striker and Flamini as our DM, I will run naked up and down Gillespie Road unironically shouting ''THERE'S ONLY ONE ARSENE WENGER''
I've got the video camera ready...

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

casgooner wrote:
MrT wrote:If we win the league after the biggest transfer window fuckup in history, with Wenger as manager, Giroud as our main striker and Flamini as our DM, I will run naked up and down Gillespie Road unironically shouting ''THERE'S ONLY ONE ARSENE WENGER''
I've got the video camera ready...
Oooooh kinky eh ?
:wink:

Sean

Post by Sean »

This should be the easiest title to win in years, but The Old Fraud will find a way to make it hard for us as he usually does.

The title bottlings of 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2014 prove that :banghead:

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

This is the easiest in years surely :rubchin: all of the other top sides are off the boil in one way or another.If we had a decent manager who would make the necessary signings in jan we would walk it,we dont and he wont though :( .If citeh get their finger out over the festive period and into the new yr it'll be theirs come may :cry:

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

We are shite, they are shite. League is a great big pile of shite :barscarf: