Welcome: Mohamed Elneny

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Kevaldo

Re: Welcome: Mohamed Elneny

Post by Kevaldo »

Can't complain for the money spent. Looks like he'll grow into an assured tidy squad player. Beefed up the midfield significantly when playing against Spurs. A midfield 3 of Elneny, Coq and Rambo looks like a solid option for us for the remainder of the season

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Kevaldo wrote:Can't complain for the money spent. Looks like he'll grow into an assured tidy squad player. Beefed up the midfield significantly when playing against Spurs. A midfield 3 of Elneny, Coq and Rambo looks like a solid option for us for the remainder of the season
Indeed, but what about the money NOT spent! :cussing:

augie

Post by augie »

Kevaldo wrote:Can't complain for the money spent. Looks like he'll grow into an assured tidy squad player. Beefed up the midfield significantly when playing against Spurs. A midfield 3 of Elneny, Coq and Rambo looks like a solid option for us for the remainder of the season

Spend fu.ck all and set the bar low - all part of wenker's philosophy buddy :roll: We needed a proper DM and we needed someone with proven top quality........we got elneny and regardless of whether he has started ok with us, the reality is that we needed better :evil:

Kevaldo

Post by Kevaldo »

augie wrote:

Spend fu.ck all and set the bar low - all part of wenker's philosophy buddy :roll: We needed a proper DM and we needed someone with proven top quality........we got elneny and regardless of whether he has started ok with us, the reality is that we needed better :evil:

Agreed, I wish this was a "Welcome: N'Golo Kante" thread... but its not... so just giving my assessment on Elneny based on his performances so far, and what he looks like he'll develop into.. (also factoring in what he cost). He's average but could still be useful for the tough fixtures we've got coming up.(Albeit its too late to win the league)

It was the lack of spending in the summer window that cost us

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Kevaldo wrote:
augie wrote:

Agreed, I wish this was a "Welcome: N'Golo Kante" thread... but its not... so just giving my assessment on Elneny based on his performances so far, and what he looks like he'll develop into.. (also factoring in what he cost). He's average but could still be useful for the tough fixtures we've got coming up.(Albeit its too late to win the league)

Interesting that you mentioned Kante.
I wonder what some posters would have said if last year AW had signed him for 6mil from Caen. Less money and much smaller club than the Elneny situation.
And we won't mention Mahrez.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Kevaldo wrote:
augie wrote:

I wonder what some posters would have said if last year AW had signed him for 6mil from Caen. Less money and much smaller club than the Elneny situation.
And we won't mention Mahrez.
It does beg the question what does our French scout (Grimandi still ? ) have in his reports about Kante and Mahrez, were they recommended and Wenker rejected or were they not deemed at our level.

We appear to be scouring Nigeria now for our bargains ( rough diamonds ! ) where we used to get the pick of the young French talent (maybe Wenker still does :wink: )

augie

Post by augie »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Kevaldo wrote:
augie wrote:

And we won't mention Mahrez

I am honest enough to say that I would not have been happy with the signings of kante and/or mahrez if we bought them last summer - for starters mahrez, as good as he is, does not fill a position of real need in our team and I wouldn't support the idea of buying him now UNLESS we got rid of some of our other short arsed tippy tappy players :roll:
Kante is a different story - yes he has proven to be a huge success with Leicester this season, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he would have been as successful with us cos schemes/tactics/formations are different with every club. Also, and I have made this point before, we needed a player of proven quality to make the difference immediately - Leicester can buy a player like him and he wouldn't be expected to have an immediate impact, but a team like ours is expected to challenge for trophies every season and he would be under a bit more pressure to perform from day one. Again I know that I am slightly stereotyping here, but I want our DM to be a big physically powerful man - smaller players like coquelin/kante will work in most games, but on the big days against top teams they just don't have the same presence about them like PV4 had :cry:

skizz_b

Post by skizz_b »

Reckon he's completed more forward passes in the past three games than Flamini, Ramsey and Coquelin combined.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

g88ner wrote:
Indeed, but what about the money NOT spent! :cussing:
That would be Mr Beans department.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

skizz_b wrote:Reckon he's completed more forward passes in the past three games than Flamini, Ramsey and Coquelin combined.
don't worry Mr bean will soon put an end to such positive play.....Oh! and don't forget Gibbs (aka: Mr I'm all left foot the defender knows I can't cross the ball, nor go inside on my right foot, so I'll pass it back and run around tippy, tappying till we lose the ball)

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

Thought he played well in the Barca game, and his goal was wonderful. Much better than Ramsey.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Got to say for someone from a much lower quality league thrown in at the deep end he's not doing too bad so far, hopefully his goal will boost his confidence, he may not be the best but he's definitely no worse than some that we have already considering he's still finding his feet :shock:

Blade

Post by Blade »

Neat,tidy player.Not programmed to flicks and backheels.

Good engine.Can actually pass forward .

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee wrote:Thought he played well in the Barca game, and his goal was wonderful. Much better than Ramsey.
This ^. His goal was a beautiful strike. Also nice to see a midfielder hit the fucking thing rather than continually trying to walk the ball into the net after 56 passes. He has done okay since he joined. He may not be a world beater but I'd play him ahead of Ramsey any day.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Yankee_Gooner_Dandee wrote:Thought he played well in the Barca game, and his goal was wonderful. Much better than Ramsey.
This ^. His goal was a beautiful strike. Also nice to see a midfielder hit the fucking thing rather than continually trying to walk the ball into the net after 56 passes. He has done okay since he joined. He may not be a world beater but I'd play him ahead of Ramsey any day.
Damning with faint praise? :lol: :wink:

Agree with the thinking that he's doing pretty well considering he's just signed for Clusterfuck FC - and the goal the other night was a thing of beauty.