FA cup fifth round draw

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Gunner Rob

Re: FA cup fifth round draw

Post by Gunner Rob »

The fuss over fixture congestion is really stupid these days.
I remember when there used to be 3 or 4 replays for an FA cup round.

We are not playing midweek 8/9 March
Play it then.

In the CL on March 8th there is Real Madrid v Roma and Wolfsburg v Ghent
What has that got to do with an FA cup replay?????

Ziegler1988

Post by Ziegler1988 »

It's a shambles that they didn't agree on a replay date before the actual match. There will probably be a couple more days before they sort it
northbank123 wrote:
casgooner wrote:The dictators at UEFA won't let teams play, televised, on the same night as European competitions. As they are very greedy and want the TV rights every week, this makes it nigh on impossible for replays.
I knew about that rule because PL breached it a few years back. And nothing happened.

Likewise Barca played a midweek game last week I think even though there was CL on too.
FA had to pay a fine: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ashes.html
Barca got away with it because they kicked off early and match was done by the time CL matches started
northbank123 wrote:Can't see they would play it 8/3 in any event as would have Arsenal / Watford / Hull / West Brom fans not knowing if or where they were playing in 3/4 days time. Plus of course TVs interests may be very marginally affected!
Happened in 06/07: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006%E2%8 ... son#FA_Cup

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Ziegler1988 wrote:It's a shambles that they didn't agree on a replay date before the actual match. There will probably be a couple more days before they sort it
northbank123 wrote:
casgooner wrote:The dictators at UEFA won't let teams play, televised, on the same night as European competitions. As they are very greedy and want the TV rights every week, this makes it nigh on impossible for replays.
I knew about that rule because PL breached it a few years back. And nothing happened.

Likewise Barca played a midweek game last week I think even though there was CL on too.
FA had to pay a fine: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ashes.html
Barca got away with it because they kicked off early and match was done by the time CL matches started
northbank123 wrote:Can't see they would play it 8/3 in any event as would have Arsenal / Watford / Hull / West Brom fans not knowing if or where they were playing in 3/4 days time. Plus of course TVs interests may be very marginally affected!
Happened in 06/07: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006%E2%8 ... son#FA_Cup
Christ mugging me off once in a post would be enough for most people :lol:

I went to that Blackburn game and no away fans turned up (along with the entire Arsenal team) - saying that no Bolton fans turned up for the round before either! This is different though because we have a PL game against West Brom otherwise whereas that was 5th Round so would have been free. They wouldn't just be fucking over Watford fans (not knowing whether they're going to Hull or just down the road), they would be stitching up West Brom fans who would be expected to buy tickets and sort travel for a game that would be very likely to get postponed 3/4 days before.

Ziegler1988

Post by Ziegler1988 »

northbank123 wrote: Christ mugging me off once in a post would be enough for most people :lol:

I went to that Blackburn game and no away fans turned up (along with the entire Arsenal team) - saying that no Bolton fans turned up for the round before either! This is different though because we have a PL game against West Brom otherwise whereas that was 5th Round so would have been free. They wouldn't just be fucking over Watford fans (not knowing whether they're going to Hull or just down the road), they would be stitching up West Brom fans who would be expected to buy tickets and sort travel for a game that would be very likely to get postponed 3/4 days before.
Ha, not intended that way. Yeah, seems there's no great solution for this replay
A) Postpone Swansea match to allow for 10 days to sort Quarterfinal tickets/arrangements but screw over Swans fans on short notice and possibly have 3 league matches to fit in if we make semifinals
B) Play it on 7/8 March and have less than a week before Quarterfinals with the WBA match in limbo
C) Play it on Quarterfinal weekend and risk getting in an almighty fixture pileup if that ended up in a replay with up to 4 rearranged fixtures depending on progress

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

Don't really care about the replay date. All I do know Scum got beat 0-1 by Palace & won't be there in the next round. That's made my weekend a lot better !!. :barscarf: :barscarf:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Although not ideal I think the least disruptive will be to play the replay on QF weekend.

This UEFA directive needs to be looked at though.
It is bonkers. I can't even watch CL games now it is on BT sport!

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

There is actually another option (which won't happen....)
Postpone the Spurs v Arsenal match and play the replay that day.

BT would then have the option to show a potential NLD title decider towards the end of the season.
Night game, huge potential TV audience. (And SKY would be seriously pissed off!)

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Home tie against Watford should we get past Hull. An almost certain path into the semi-finals.

The replay at Hull needs to be taken seriously.

Anyone starting to slightly dream of a League and FA Cup double?

Thats how Wenger used to do it.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Wilson wrote:Home tie against Watford should we get past Hull. An almost certain path into the semi-finals.

The replay at Hull needs to be taken seriously.

Anyone starting to slightly dream of a League and FA Cup double?

Thats how Wenger used to do it.
You're a funny one! :wink: Hull needs to be taken seriously but Watford is an almost certain path into the semis. How do you square those two statements? :?

Keep them coming though. :lol:

Robin_L

Post by Robin_L »

Ziegler1988 wrote:
northbank123 wrote: Christ mugging me off once in a post would be enough for most people :lol:

Ha, not intended that way. Yeah, seems there's no great solution for this replay
A) Postpone Swansea match to allow for 10 days to sort Quarterfinal tickets/arrangements but screw over Swans fans on short notice and possibly have 3 league matches to fit in if we make semifinals
B) Play it on 7/8 March and have less than a week before Quarterfinals with the WBA match in limbo
C) Play it on Quarterfinal weekend and risk getting in an almighty fixture pileup if that ended up in a replay with up to 4 rearranged fixtures depending on progress
Option D) we put in a tired, disinterested performance up at Hull, after the players are still moping following our CL exit at the hands of Farcelona. Arsenal vs Watford disappears into the ether and we all get to save a few quid.

trustno10

Post by trustno10 »

Could they potentially play it on Monday 7th? I seem to remember Man Utd and Chelsea playing a cup replay on a Monday after playing two days earlier. That would give Watford fans an extra day or two to sort out travel, and we wouldn't have to play a late afternoon game (it would have to be 4pm KO to avoid ET/penalties clashing with CL) in front of a half empty stadium.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

trustno10 wrote:Could they potentially play it on Monday 7th? I seem to remember Man Utd and Chelsea playing a cup replay on a Monday after playing two days earlier. That would give Watford fans an extra day or two to sort out travel, and we wouldn't have to play a late afternoon game (it would have to be 4pm KO to avoid ET/penalties clashing with CL) in front of a half empty stadium.
sorry but Hull City have a game on the previous Thursday and we have a game on the previous Saturday.
why should we have just 2 days off to prepare for a game just because UEFA want us all to watch Wolfsburg v Ghent on the Tuesday night?? given the financial power of Premier league teams we should tell UEFA to get stuffed

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Let's play in the midle of the night. That way, none of us have to watch this shit.

:D :barscarf:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

arseofacrow wrote:Let's play in the midle of the night. That way, none of us have to watch this shit.

:D :barscarf:
best idea so far :lol:
Saturday was torture. RIP the FA Cup

SPARKSY

Post by SPARKSY »

Gunner Rob wrote:
trustno10 wrote:Could they potentially play it on Monday 7th? I seem to remember Man Utd and Chelsea playing a cup replay on a Monday after playing two days earlier. That would give Watford fans an extra day or two to sort out travel, and we wouldn't have to play a late afternoon game (it would have to be 4pm KO to avoid ET/penalties clashing with CL) in front of a half empty stadium.
sorry but Hull City have a game on the previous Thursday and we have a game on the previous Saturday.
why should we have just 2 days off to prepare for a game just because UEFA want us all to watch Wolfsburg v Ghent on the Tuesday night?? given the financial power of Premier league teams we should tell UEFA to get stuffed[/quo

I know the tubes can be a right pisser some days but getting the Met line from Watford hardly needs to be booked in advance :lol: