Hull City (A) | FA Cup R5R | Tuesday 8th March| 19:00

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: Hull City (A) | FA Cup R5R | Tuesday 8th March| 19:00

Post by augie »

Rosie_titters wrote:
donaldo71 wrote:If another FA cup win keeps Wenger here for another contract i would rather we lost.I cant take another 5 years of this shit

I am no Wenger fan, and think he's time is up. But there is no guarantee that when this old bugger leaves. Things will change overnight. Look at Man U and also Liverpool to a certain extent. Fergie packed it in and 3 years on they are still in a pretty shit place.
Just because Wenger leaves don't anyone get it in to their heads. We will now become PL champions and CL winners. It could take years and many managers before we find sustain success

I hope not, but it is a possibility

A few quick responses to that -

1. Ferguscum left a diabolical squad for moyes to work with - yes I've heard all the "they had just won the league" arguments, but there were a team in serious decline and were lucky to win a piss poor league that season.
Contrast that to the current AFC squad - ozil, sanchez, cech, kos and bellerin are good enough for most teams, whilst the likes of monreal, ox, ramsey, wellbeck and giroud would be good squad players in any club.

2. I would rather try to win and fail, then just stroll along happy to stay in the one position year after year. I want a different manager that can bring tactics to the team. I want a different manager who is ruthless enough to get rid of the dross. I want a manager that will have the team playing with energy, passion and a more direct mindset instead of this dull tippy tappy sidewards bullshit

I would be quite comfortable with the idea of going into a rebuilding phase if that is what is needed (although I don't think it needs huge rebuilding). I would be very comfortable going along with that even if it meant that we were to drop out of the top 4 for 2 or 3 seasons 8) I wont expect instant success but what I will expect is a manager who demands it and a team that plays like they want it 8)

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Rosie_titters wrote:
donaldo71 wrote:If another FA cup win keeps Wenger here for another contract i would rather we lost.I cant take another 5 years of this shit

I am no Wenger fan, and think he's time is up. But there is no guarantee that when this old bugger leaves things will change overnight. Look at Man U and also Liverpool to a certain extent. Fergie packed it in and 3 years on they are still in a pretty shit place.
Just because Wenger leaves don't anyone get it in to their heads. We will now become PL champions and CL winners. It could take years and many managers before we find sustain success.

Could be right but it's been 12 years now without a league title and we always get dumped out of the CL by the first decent team so it's hardly a high bar for any incoming manager :oops:

All effort should be on bringing in Mourinho. He's perfect for the club as he brings with him a confidence and tactical ability that has been missing from Arsenal for years.
- Yeah, you can argue he doesn't fit the Arsenal way, but that went out the window years ago with these greedy bastards charging the world's highest ticket prices for sub-par football, so lets get real and bring in a winner.

Thanks to Wenger clinging on to power, we've already missed the boat on Guardiola and Klopp, so we should be moving heaven and earth to get Mourinho before he heads off to United.

To be honest, I reckon Mourinho would love nothing more than getting one over Wenger by returning this great club to winning ways. :lol:

fabiandeguisson

Post by fabiandeguisson »

I can't see them sacking Wenger i can only see him stepping down a year early at the end of this season or seeing his final year out and then calling it a day. With either of the latter two im convinced Wenger will have input about whom his replacement would be and i think it very unlikely the special one would be in the considerations.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

g88ner wrote:
Rosie_titters wrote:

I am no Wenger fan, and think he's time is up. But there is no guarantee that when this old bugger leaves things will change overnight. Look at Man U and also Liverpool to a certain extent. Fergie packed it in and 3 years on they are still in a pretty shit place.
Just because Wenger leaves don't anyone get it in to their heads. We will now become PL champions and CL winners. It could take years and many managers before we find sustain success.

Could be right but it's been 12 years now without a league title and we always get dumped out of the CL by the first decent team so it's hardly a high bar for any incoming manager :oops:

All effort should be on bringing in Mourinho. He's perfect for the club as he brings with him a confidence and tactical ability that has been missing from Arsenal for years.
- Yeah, you can argue he doesn't fit the Arsenal way, but that went out the window years ago with these greedy bastards charging the world's highest ticket prices for sub-par football, so lets get real and bring in a winner.

Thanks to Wenger clinging on to power, we've already missed the boat on Guardiola and Klopp, so we should be moving heaven and earth to get Mourinho before he heads off to United.

To be honest, I reckon Mourinho would love nothing more than getting one over Wenger by returning this great club to winning ways. :lol:
Can see us beating Hull up there, but you never know with the team currently.

As for the above can you imagine how sick Wenger would be if Mourinho or any other manager came in won us the league and took us to say even the CL semis :lol:

Mind you it would be still all about him, 'i built the squad ready for the new manager :blah: :blah: :blah: ' :banghead:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

"Leetle bit jaded" will be used after Tuesdays game (especially if we lose) or after WB. It is long overdue. :oops: :oops:

FA cup should actually become a lot easier now that the title race & CL "challenge" is over. Ironically Wenger has all but given up on the title but hasn't completely given up on the CL.If that doesn't tell you the man is completely deluded then what will??

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

I wouldn't fancy us to beat anyone on current form whether it be Barca or Burton Albion. We're weak mentally with a spineless yellow underbelly.

I wouldn't put a cent on us beating Hull midweek nor would I back us to beat West Brom at home next Saturday evening. The stiffs to come in and get beaten in exceptional circumstances in this one I reckon.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

rodders999 wrote:I wouldn't fancy us to beat anyone on current form whether it be Barca or Burton Albion. We're weak mentally with a spineless yellow underbelly.

I wouldn't put a cent on us beating Hull midweek nor would I back us to beat West Brom at home next Saturday evening. The stiffs to come in and get beaten in exceptional circumstances in this one I reckon.
If the 'stiffs' involve bringing Joel Campbell and Iwobi back in along with Nacho, then it will be an improvement on some of the current underperforming tossers anyway.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Rosie_titters wrote:

I am no Wenger fan, and think he's time is up. But there is no guarantee that when this old bugger leaves. Things will change overnight. Look at Man U and also Liverpool to a certain extent. Fergie packed it in and 3 years on they are still in a pretty shit place.

I do not expect them to, There is bound to be a period of adjustment to the new manager and how they decide things need to be done, also a very important factor is if Wenger chooses the in-coming manager and going by the way that Arsenal is run (by Arsene) there is every likelihood they will be of his choosing, unless he falls out with the board and Gazidis has a say.

Unless it was someone like Guardiola that came in - yeah right! - then I would 'hope' that we manage to compete to be in the top 8 until the new manager is settled in and the team being run properly - ie: to win trophies first and a profit as a by-product of that success.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

2-0 win for Arsenal.. Our situation is dire but Hull needed this replay less than us as they want to return to Premier League..Losing at Birmingham will prioritise that even more. Arsenal to win without being overly stretched.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Bradywasking wrote:2-0 win for Arsenal.. Our situation is dire but Hull needed this replay less than us as they want to return to Premier League..Losing at Birmingham will prioritise that even more. Arsenal to win without being overly stretched.
I just cannot believe after every thing we have seen in the past 8 weeks that people are so breezily confident. It actually doesn't even make sense.... these guys came to our backyard a couple of weeks back with a severely weakened team , almost expecting to lose as they have bigger priorities, yet we couldn't even score, let alone beat them. Now, after picking up one point in nine and losing to Barca as well, we are going to cruise up to Hull and casually sweep them aside without being "stretched"??? I CANNOT see it.EVERY game stretches us, every game is a turgid, uphill battle.AND we cannot score goals, Hull must be licking their lips, and our lambs must be absolutely dreading it.I bet guys like Sanchez,Ozil & Mertersacker don't even want to go.

Robin_L

Post by Robin_L »

Ozil wasn't that good yesterday and should be "rested".

I'd play all of Campbell, Iwobi, Welbeck and Elneny in this, all players with something to prove and who have looked among our better performers in recent times. We shat all over Hull in the home game and were plain unlucky not to win that one, despite the naysayers muddling that one up with recent games where we actually HAVE been shite. Arsenal win and onto the quarters.

casgooner

Post by casgooner »

Robin_L wrote:Ozil wasn't that good yesterday and should be "rested".

I'd play all of Campbell, Iwobi, Welbeck and Elneny in this, all players with something to prove and who have looked among our better performers in recent times. We shat all over Hull in the home game and were plain unlucky not to win that one, despite the naysayers muddling that one up with recent games where we actually HAVE been shite. Arsenal win and onto the quarters.

We didn't, couldn't score. Goals wins games.

Sean

Post by Sean »

Fuck goals and trophies, we want pretty passing, backheels and the VT! :barscarf:

:suicide:

It'll be a 'battle' of who wants to be in the cup the least. Disgraceful, but typical of modern football.

If Hull decide to bottle it, I can't complain. It's just that TOF may want to bottle it as well despite it being the best chance we have of winning something this season. I hope it doesn't go to penalties after 120 minutes of tedious sideways shite.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I'd be tempted to play something like this:

Sanchez-----Welbeck-----Campbell
--------------------Ozil---------------------
-----------Elneny-----Chambers----------
Monreal---Kos/Gabs---Merts---Bellerin
--------------------Cech/Ospina--------------

Not sure if Cech and Kos are fit for this or not.

I know some people will question the holding midfield pair but tbh i really wouldn't want Flamini near this team if i could help it :rubchin:

I also think on current form and passion the three up front would run Hull ragged, i know Alexis has been off form but he got a goal against the spuds and looked furious at the end but at least he has a bit of passion in him. :box:

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

hull are one of those teams who over the years have been capable of taking a result at the bowl, but we often routinely smash them up there. i don't particularly rate them, and lets be honest our away record is much better than our home record.

2-0 sounds about right