When exactly did Footballers become pussies?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

When exactly did Footballers become pussies?

Post by DB10GOONER »

As it says on the tin; when exactly did footballers turn into vaginas? :rubchin:

At what exact point in time did this happen? Who is to blame?

Last night we had the Big German Vagina ask to be subbed after a little cut. We had Gabriel ask to be subbed for something that Wenger later said "is not serious". We had Ramsey come on, last a couple minutes, and then also ask to be subbed. We had Diaby a few years ago come on as a sub, kick fresh air and asked to be subbed.

When did it become fashionable to turn to the bench and do that fucking irritating rolling arms "take me off" gesture? WTF? :roll: :oops:

Man up, bitches. Anyone remember Seamo having to get painkillers injected straight into his broken ribs so he could face a penno shoot out in the CWC?? Anyone remember when players got injured they played on until they physically couldn't? And then they got cortisone shots so they could come back quicker from injury? 8)

Yeah yeah yeah, the evil cortisone fucked their ankles up in later life. SO WHAT?? These modern mercenary wimps are all millionaires by 20 years old, what the fuck do they need ankles for after they retire? :roll:

augie

Re: When exactly did Footballers become pussies?

Post by augie »

I would say that it was the day that tv made the football world much smaller - nowadays we see football from leagues all over the world, and in a lot of these leagues the players are treated as precious commodities and it was always going to seep this way then :roll: In recent years American football has gone the same way - all we hear now is how important it is that the best players are protected by the officials and not be spending their time injured on the sidelines :oops: The leagues are aware that the tv deals are as high as they are because people want to be watching the ozil's and aguero's of this world, and this has probably been relayed down to the referee's :roll:

Robin_L

Post by Robin_L »

the tide began to turn in the 90s with the arrival of foreign stars and a footballing culture that featured less tackling on the ground.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

If you ask Danny Mills, it probably all traces back to Pires :roll:

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

g88ner wrote:If you ask Danny Mills, it probably all traces back to Pires :roll:
:lol:

first serial divers i can remember in the PL were both scum players, klinsmann and ginola. pair of diving twats the both of them :evil: but if I had to pinpoint it, the mid nineties during the influx of foreign stars to the premier league, that's not to say that diving is a foreign export, but it certainly rapidly increased the natural progression. the more technical the game has become, the more players have feigned injury

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

g88ner wrote:If you ask Danny Mills, it probably all traces back to Pires :roll:
Nicely done! :lol: :lol: :lol:

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

DB10GOONER wrote:Anyone remember Seamo having to get painkillers injected straight into his broken ribs so he could face a penno shoot out in the CWC??
Sorry to digress, but weren't the painkillers for the 1994 final against Parma, rather than the 1995 semi against Sampdoria (which had the shoot-out)? I know this wasn't the point of your thread, and I'm not deliberately being argumentative - just generally prefer talking about the good ol' days.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:Anyone remember Seamo having to get painkillers injected straight into his broken ribs so he could face a penno shoot out in the CWC??
Sorry to digress, but weren't the painkillers for the 1994 final against Parma, rather than the 1995 semi against Sampdoria (which had the shoot-out)? I know this wasn't the point of your thread, and I'm not deliberately being argumentative - just generally prefer talking about the good ol' days.
No probs, mate. But my memory is he also had broken ribs for that penno shoot out in 95 against Sampdoria. I distinctly recall the commentators and media pundits making a big deal of it at the time. :rubchin:

Herd

Post by Herd »

Ah Sampdoria ,Lombardo whoa ,Lombardo whoa whoa whoa whoa !
Fucking great night in Genoa but the best was seeing Platt in a restaurant on the Saturday night and caning him !

Sean

Post by Sean »

That away leg at Sampdoria was the first game I followed Arsenal. That's also why Seaman is my all-time favourite :barscarf:

He definitely had painkiller injections in the 95 cup run, as they had also made a big deal of it over the Auxerre tie in the previous round. Back when even the 'tin-pot' European trophies still had meaning and prestige.

Those were the days. The old Arsenal. Even when we were shit in the league it was better than now :barscarf:

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

To answer the question posed by the thread title....

:proudtosay: :proudtosay: :proudtosay:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... JbzO75I_Xw

:lol: :lol: :wink:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

DB10GOONER wrote:As it says on the tin; when exactly did footballers turn into vaginas? :rubchin:

At what exact point in time did this happen? Who is to blame?

Last night we had the Big German Vagina ask to be subbed after a little cut. We had Gabriel ask to be subbed for something that Wenger later said "is not serious". We had Ramsey come on, last a couple minutes, and then also ask to be subbed. We had Diaby a few years ago come on as a sub, kick fresh air and asked to be subbed.

When did it become fashionable to turn to the bench and do that fucking irritating rolling arms "take me off" gesture? WTF? :roll: :oops:

Man up, bitches. Anyone remember Seamo having to get painkillers injected straight into his broken ribs so he could face a penno shoot out in the CWC?? Anyone remember when players got injured they played on until they physically couldn't? And then they got cortisone shots so they could come back quicker from injury? 8)

Yeah yeah yeah, the evil cortisone fucked their ankles up in later life. SO WHAT?? These modern mercenary wimps are all millionaires by 20 years old, what the fuck do they need ankles for after they retire? :roll:
Liverpool players wearing white suits for 1996 cup final was a definite turning point. As for the injuries I stated on another thread the prospect of missing the Barcelona game was greater then playing in a cup gamr at Hull.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I Hate Hleb wrote:To answer the question posed by the thread title....

:proudtosay: :proudtosay: :proudtosay:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... JbzO75I_Xw

:lol: :lol: :wink:

:barscarf: :fryingpan: :hammer: :dancingbanana: :gus: :high5:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Roughly when BSkyB or whatever they were originally called started the massive investment in televised football, player wages went through the roof and players started worrying more about wages than playing for the badge :cry:

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

I fell out of love with the PL and CL many years ago. Most modern day top footballers are gutless, spineless, shite hawks who don't give a shit about the club or shirt. That bloke Hazard at Chelsea is a prime example of a modern footballer.

Sometimes i wish we were a 2nd division team. Playing in front of about 20,000 real fans. Who care about the club and don't just turn up because it's fashionable and have a team of lads who care and want to play for the club.

Wish i could go back to the 80s