The ONLY Euro 2016 thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Wilson

The ONLY Euro 2016 thread

Post by Wilson »

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Fraser Forster (Southampton), Tom Heaton (Burnley).

Defenders: Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Everton), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur), Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool).

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Ross Barkley (Everton), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Danny Drinkwater (Leicester City), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), James Milner (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Andros Townsend (Newcastle United), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal).

Strikers: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Jamie Vardy (Leicester City), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United).

Just Jack in the England team. Glad Theo didnt make it. He has a complacency about him where he expects to get picked despite doing nothing to warrant it. No doubt about it, Theo right now in his own mind 'cant understand why' he didnt get picked. Andors Townsend and Marcus Rashford given the nod ahead of him. If this doesnt make Wenger question his decision to pay him 140k a week, nothing will.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Re: England Euro provisional squad

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Theo definitely does not deserve to go although townsend is no better if both were on form, in fact when Theo is on form he's far better but he has been piss poor.

I've defended Theo on here many times and I still stand by my reasoning that when on top form and in the right position he is a very good addition to any team, he just seemed to have totally given up on his season and that's unacceptable, sell him.

As for the England squad, looks ok but as usual we will get found out at tournament level although we qualified so easily, hope I'm wrong and we go on and win it.

foxinthebox2001

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

The defining moment of Theo's season was jumping the tackle, player, and ball v Sunderland.
Almost equalled by his 1 on 1 v Joe Hart, when he made another jump to make sure he didnt get caught by the keeper, and neglected to make sure his effort was on target.
Conclusion must be he has potential injuries on his mind, he has become too wary of any contact.
Also not helped by being robbed of the ball dribbling away from his own penalty area at least twice this season.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

that is surely the end of Walcott's international career?

good hat trick v Croatia 8 years ago and...... :rubchin:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:Theo definitely does not deserve to go although townsend is no better if both were on form, in fact when Theo is on form he's far better but he has been piss poor.

I've defended Theo on here many times and I still stand by my reasoning that when on top form and in the right position he is a very good addition to any team, he just seemed to have totally given up on his season and that's unacceptable, sell him.

As for the England squad, looks ok but as usual we will get found out at tournament level although we qualified so easily, hope I'm wrong and we go on and win it.

I'd take Townsend over Theo. I can't see any way Theo is going to improve, whereas Townsend puts in a shift and provides more of a goal threat.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

That defence is going to get dicked all over France.

And what the fuck is delph doing in the squad.

augie

Post by augie »

I'm counting two centre backs who weren't first choice for their clubs for large parts of the season, 3 midfielders who were back ups for their clubs, wilshere who hadn't played for his club this season up to a few weeks ago, 1 striker who isn't first choice for his club despite their poor options, and of course there is a keeper who has been playing in the championship.......I know that I take the piss about englands national team sometimes ( :wink: ), but surely there is better options out there ?

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

The defense looks weak. The midfield and attackers look fairly solid, but the team ultimately comes down to Kane and Alli performing well. They'll make it out of groups, and maybe win the first round knock-out but that's about as far as I can see them going.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

Lack of defensive strength kills this team stone-dead. Thing is, I'm not sure who else has a compelling case for inclusion.

Jagielka & Cahill is an accident waiting to happen, and Stones is surely a centre-mid masquerading as a centre-half?

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

Jesus Actual Christ; is Smalling now England's best centre-half? :?

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

I could think of worse things to be doing of a summer than hanging out the back of Melanie Walcott 8)

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

officepest wrote:Jesus Actual Christ; is Smalling now England's best centre-half? :?

That defence. :rubchin: No need for rohypnol
Interlull bollocks

HODGSON OUT.

:lol:

Sean

Post by Sean »

What a pile of shite. We'll get dicked again; it's just as predictable as following Arsenal :blah:

Even the games are similarly dull and pointless.

That said, I've put the friendly and group match dates in the calendar :oops:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

GranadaJoe wrote:
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:Theo definitely does not deserve to go although townsend is no better if both were on form, in fact when Theo is on form he's far better but he has been piss poor.

I'd take Townsend over Theo. I can't see any way Theo is going to improve, whereas Townsend puts in a shift and provides more of a goal threat.
As I said o would take townsend now but he is no great player and as I also said if you look at their stats and I haven't you will see that up until this season I am sure Theo pisses all over townsend (water sports anyone) in goals and assists.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Defence and midfield is awful. That said England will still top a weak group and get through to the last 8 probably and possibly last 4 if the draw is kind, because there are actually very few really good international sides around in Europe.

Walcott really had to go some way to manage not to get picked but Hodgson would have been hammered for taking him, such has been the dross he has put in all year. Saw the Ox wasn't even mentioned on the BBC article which is a testament to him having falling off the edge of a cliff.

Imagine Rashford has been put in for Hodgson trying to erase this image of himself as a conservative plodder but it's irrelevant really because he will surely be culled when the squad is cut down to 23.