Forest away in league cup

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
falkirk goon

Re: Forest away in league cup

Post by falkirk goon »

From tiny acorns...

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee wrote:Xhaka and Elneny should be our regular starters in the middle of the park. Both are better than Le Coq, and Cazorla either should play #10 or out wide.

And Perez looks decent, much better than the lamp post.
Just seen the highlights & I agree. What I like about Perez is his aggression to both win & hold on to the ball, something 'the lazy frenchman' hasn't got a clue how to do. Oh & I forgot - he's a lot quicker than the frenchman too. Looks like Feo will be on the bench on Saturday - we can only prey !!. :barscarf: :barscarf:

Lost_Gooner

Post by Lost_Gooner »

A good game and good atmosphere

markyp

Post by markyp »

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee wrote:Xhaka and Elneny should be our regular starters in the middle of the park. Both are better than Le Coq, and Cazorla either should play #10 or out wide.

agree,dont see the fuss with cazorla at all

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

markyp wrote:

agree,dont see the fuss with cazorla at all
I think cazorla is an amazing player, fully fit must be a nightmare to play against, he beats players, wins tackles, has a great pass on him.

My only complaint is when he gets caught deep with the ball (but we have worse offenders at that) and that his long shiots not as accurate as they were when he started

I remember the city game we won two nil he dominated the game.

He is truly two footed which makes him much harder to press / deal with as well.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Great night out on a perfect evening for football !
Xhaka is the man !
Bendtner was given a great reception by the travelling masses and came over at the end to clap us .
Having been given lashings of "Champions of Europe ,youl never sing that " the chant of "you live in the past " had me chuckling until right
after we start singing 49,49 undefeated ,oh the irony !
Boat Club by the Trent End was a great place for a bevvy b4 hand , friendly welcoming and free food !

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Cazorla is a decent enough CM but just hasn't got the legs to start there every week.

In tougher games he is going to get found out quite regularly. Starting him and Ozil in central roles in Paris was madness and sure enough they ran amok.

The reason why Leicester and Spurs were the two teams fighting for the league last season - despite having far from the best squads - was fundamentally because they moved the ball quickly and stretched the opposition. We haven't done that for years and having players in the middle of the field like Cazorla who is fairly pedestrian and an exponent of perpetual sideways passing or Ramsey who thinks that every move has to go through him and that he needs to get on the ball all over the park won't change that.

In tougher games it makes absolute sense to start Xhaka and Elneny - two dynamic fairly defensively-minded CMs - to offer us more stability, more defensive protection and more pace and directness on the counter-attack. Or set up like we have for years and wonder why they're running rings around our midfield whilst Ozil floats about on the periphery.

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

northbank123 wrote:Cazorla is a decent enough CM but just hasn't got the legs to start there every week.

In tougher games he is going to get found out quite regularly. Starting him and Ozil in central roles in Paris was madness and sure enough they ran amok.

The reason why Leicester and Spurs were the two teams fighting for the league last season - despite having far from the best squads - was fundamentally because they moved the ball quickly and stretched the opposition. We haven't done that for years and having players in the middle of the field like Cazorla who is fairly pedestrian and an exponent of perpetual sideways passing or Ramsey who thinks that every move has to go through him and that he needs to get on the ball all over the park won't change that.

In tougher games it makes absolute sense to start Xhaka and Elneny - two dynamic fairly defensively-minded CMs - to offer us more stability, more defensive protection and more pace and directness on the counter-attack. Or set up like we have for years and wonder why they're running rings around our midfield whilst Ozil floats about on the periphery.

I think cazorla moves the ball forward fast when we are on the counter, normally draws a couple in then releases a runner, but the point about him + another light weight AM seems fair, I think it's more a question of tactics/balance than reflection on his talent. Spurs imo were lucky in large parts winning by the odd late goal, they won't get anywhere near it this time round imo

Herd

Post by Herd »

Am I missing something , I didnt see carzola last night ? :banghead: :mrgreen: :rubchin:

NickF98

Post by NickF98 »

Really enjoyed last night game. Great old stadium, standing and good banter between the fans. Good performance as well. Excellent beer in Nottingham as well.

Suffering a bit today as I have shin splints so walking to the ground and standing for 90 minutes wasn't good for me.

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

Herd wrote:Am I missing something :rubchin:
To paraphrase the great man, you might need to look for an internal solution to answer that question.

This a just a football forum

:wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

AkneyGooner wrote:
Herd wrote:Am I missing something :rubchin:
To paraphrase the great man, you might need to look for an internal solution to answer that question.

This a just a football forum

:wink:
What havea youzza gotta againsta thee Itailano's HUH!?

:mrgreen: :wink:

Herd

Post by Herd »

I like to drink close to the ground !

KaQaK

Post by KaQaK »

MrT wrote:
northbank123 wrote:
KaQaK wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:Xhaka is really trying to get himself benched permanently :barscarf: :barscarf:
I guess Albanians aren't bad after all! :wink:

Trust me haters, what I was about to say, I would have been banned from this forum permanently for sure!
He has well and truly silenced the long tradition of anti-Albanian sentiment on this forum.

Oh wait...
What is this guy on about? I've seen him make similar comments before like there is some Albanian discrimination on here. Or maybe he thinks people didn't rate Xhaka because he's Albanian? Odd.
This used to be this guys favorite site to read about Arsenal! After being off for couple of years, he decided to come back, since he had great times in this forum, back in the days! It used to be fun here, no one cared where u from, nor what your heritage is! Suddenly things changed here, there was a lot of trash thrown at who is what or where he comes from...and it hurt him!
He travels a lot, and it was really hard for him lately to be a Kosovo-Albanian! Just because he's a KA, does not mean he's part of mafia, nor a savage, nor a drug dealer, nor a smuggler... and many more other things that he faces everywhere he goes! He was least expecting to face any of it in here! He loves Arsenal, his kids to, they adore Arsenal, he advised them to be part of this forum! The other day he was hurt, and kinda regret it having his kids see, how hated are they, just because where they come from! That's all!
Hope u guys do well, no mater where ya come from! And hopefully we'll win it these year!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Herd wrote:I like to drink close to the ground !

Yes, we know mate how can we ever forget the afternoon of the wooden bench !??

:lol: :wink: