PSG away pubs/travel etc

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
barnetgooner

Re: PSG away pubs/travel etc

Post by barnetgooner »

I go to Paris a lot with work so have some experience of the place:

- I've found most people speak decent English there these days, at least as good as in Madrid or Milan; has improved a lot recently
- Yes pints of beer in pubs/bars are expensive at €7-8 (but lots of happy hours on); food, accommodation, travel and beers in supermarkets are probably cheaper than London
- Yes around Gare du Nord, Moulin Rouge and many tourist sites it is a shit hole, but you don't have to stay there..

Where I'd recommend going:
- There is actually a good Arsenal France supporters pub in the city - The Lions, 153 Rue du Chevaleret, 75013 (not near the stadium though unfortunately)
- St Germain des Pres (Rue Princesse) and Les Halles (Rue St Denis) are great areas for eating and drinking; full of Irish Pubs etc

The stadium is actually in quite a nice area but pretty quiet so, as someone else has mentioned, super market beers at Trocadero/Eiffel Tower then metro from Trocadero could be best option on way to the game.

With usual precautions I'd be surprised if there's any trouble - French people generally like Arsenal these days and most of the hardcore PSG fans have been priced out. I went to PSG-Chelsea last yr in the home end and didn't see anything; mostly families, tourist and corporates...

RVP2

Post by RVP2 »

Looks like Arsenal had more tickets than they were saying; still on sale (currently to 20 credits). This has also just appeared on the page:

IMPORTANT UPDATE
We have been informed by the French authorities that supporters attending the UEFA Champions League match in Paris on Tuesday will be required to present the following in order to gain entry into the Parc des Princes stadium:
Match ticket (which you should receive no later than Friday 9 September 2016).
Confirmation of purchase letter enclosed with Match Tickets or a printed copy of the booking confirmation email sent at the time of purchase. Please ensure that if you have purchased multiple tickets that each travelling supporter has a copy of either the letter or the booking confirmation e-mail to gain entry.
Photo ID
(Passports are fine for this process)
Unfortunately, supporters will NOT be allowed entry to the stadium without the printed copy of confirmation of purchase email/letter AND photo ID, to accompany their match ticket.
PLEASE NOTE. As a consequence of these extra security checks, supporters are advised to allow more time than usual to enter the stadium. Ticket checks and searches will be thorough and potentially time consuming.
These extra security measures have been put in place to ensure the safety of all supporters and are reflective of the current security situation in France. These extra measures are the result of consultation with the French authorities, both clubs and the Metropolitan Police.
We would like to thank all our supporters for your understanding and co-operation with this matter.

stefanek

Post by stefanek »

What if you have tickets off friends or have got off the forum on here - They Photo ID wont match the confirmation booking as it will have a different name - Does that mean that you will be denied entry?

Herd

Post by Herd »

The new rules say it has to be the person on the ticket ,french OB are *word censored* however db10 has a great relationship with them so if your with him your OK !

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Herd wrote:The new rules say it has to be the person on the ticket ,french OB are *word censored* however db10 has a great relationship with them so if your with him your OK !
Some of the nicest people I've ever met. :D

...once they realised we weren't middle aged Malaysian wannabe hooligans. :lol: :wink:

TBH though, I always find if you don't act the cúnt, you don't get treated like a cúnt. 8)

Herd

Post by Herd »

TBH though, I always find if you don't act the cúnt, you don't get treated like a cúnt.
Amen to that ! :barscarf:

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Those ticket restrictions are just crap dreamt up by the club to stop people travelling. :banghead: They have made these statements for many years going back to the Copenhagen riot! :barscarf:

Got into games at Euro2016 without the proper ID on the ticket being checked. :barscarf:

I even went with a passport expired 2 months beforehand & just got a lecture from the French & Brit border controls going there & back :blah:

It's all bollox what about if your mate buys the ticket as a group booking, your names not even on the ticket anyway. :lol:

RVP2

Post by RVP2 »

Lad on facebook posted earlier:

"I just spoke with the BO. When the match tickets are sent out (today and tomorrow) a proof of purchase letter will be enclosed. Each ticket holder will need to present a copy of this letter with their match ticket and photo ID to enter the stadium.

The letters will not have names on them so doesn't matter if you have purchased for someone else"

RVP2

Post by RVP2 »

I was at Euro 2016 too; names on tickets and said they would do ID checks; never had ID checked once.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

barnetgooner wrote:I go to Paris a lot with work so have some experience of the place:

- I've found most people speak decent English there these days, at least as good as in Madrid or Milan; has improved a lot recently
- Yes pints of beer in pubs/bars are expensive at €7-8 (but lots of happy hours on); food, accommodation, travel and beers in supermarkets are probably cheaper than London
- Yes around Gare du Nord, Moulin Rouge and many tourist sites it is a shit hole, but you don't have to stay there..

Where I'd recommend going:
- There is actually a good Arsenal France supporters pub in the city - The Lions, 153 Rue du Chevaleret, 75013 (not near the stadium though unfortunately)
- St Germain des Pres (Rue Princesse) and Les Halles (Rue St Denis) are great areas for eating and drinking; full of Irish Pubs etc

The stadium is actually in quite a nice area but pretty quiet so, as someone else has mentioned, super market beers at Trocadero/Eiffel Tower then metro from Trocadero could be best option on way to the game.

With usual precautions I'd be surprised if there's any trouble - French people generally like Arsenal these days and most of the hardcore PSG fans have been priced out. I went to PSG-Chelsea last yr in the home end and didn't see anything; mostly families, tourist and corporates...
Good post very informative :D

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

RVP2 wrote:Lad on facebook posted earlier:

"I just spoke with the BO. When the match tickets are sent out (today and tomorrow) a proof of purchase letter will be enclosed. Each ticket holder will need to present a copy of this letter with their match ticket and photo ID to enter the stadium.

The letters will not have names on them so doesn't matter if you have purchased for someone else"
I'd advise wait until it's officially confirmed on Twitter :wink:

RVP2

Post by RVP2 »

Word is that there are no names on tickets or on letter accompanying them.

Think the ID check purely to try and keep out genuine criminals - no idea obviously what if any checks will be carried out.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Having lived in France for a few years now I can say that most French people don't mind the English at all, but what you see A LOT of, is English living here and refusing to speak the language or even trying which of course pisses the French off and that gets us a bad reputation and the ironic thing is, it's mostly older people who are minted and think that the French should learn English for them!
Parisiens are hated by the French more than they hate any English!! Everywhere you go (I live in the South West about an hour and a bit from the Spanish border), the locals call Parisiens 'Etrangers' (foreigners), it's actually quite funny to see. In fact, in my village there are people from Nice and Paris and they are lovely people but are all called 'Etrangers' by the locals. The locals are fantastic and have total respect for me and the missus and have really welcomed us. France is a fabulous country and the people have the right idea.......live a balanced life and don't take shit! Unlike the English who work work work, are obsessed with money and bend over and take everything that comes their way without so much as a strongly worded letter!! I do also think Paris is a bit of a dump mind you, but that's just the tourist areas of course, the same as most capital cities!
Oh, and the food here is bloody brilliant, I can get a 'menu of the day' in loads of restaurants here for between 10 and 15€, that's a fantastic 3 course meal for about a tenner!! Love it :barscarf: not to mention a very nice bottle of red wine for €4-€5......I prefer the local 'Madiran' wine which is superb! :cheers:

SPARKSY

Post by SPARKSY »

jaymitch81 wrote:Paris booked and first time going for the football so any advice on best place to drink near ground or city centre much appreciated. Is there any main bars for away fans?

Cheers
J
Last edited by SPARKSY on Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

SPARKSY

Post by SPARKSY »

SPARKSY wrote:
jaymitch81 wrote:Paris booked and first time going for the football so any advice on best place to drink near ground or city centre much appreciated. Is there any main bars for away fans?

Cheers
J
If I remember right, the Parc de Prince is near the Arab quarter of the city and as we have found out in the past, can be a bit suspect. Be careful round there as they will gladly take the opportunity to pick a fight with the English.