Alex Iwobi

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SammyDroppedHisShorts
Location: In front of the best fans on earth. The Arse and all.

Alex Iwobi

Post by SammyDroppedHisShorts »

The kid is mustard but

Is there an element that is lacking to his game? How often do we see Nacho getting slapped about by right wingers? Against both Swansea and Boro the weakest link was the left side.....

Iwobi for me needs to sort it out

northbank123

Re: Alex Iwobi

Post by northbank123 »

He is very hit and miss at this stage but that is expected. Somebody who likes being direct and running at players is going to have poor games where they give it away a lot. He shouldn't change his game for that reason. If he stays on the right track eventually the goals will start to come. He is an exciting talent.

He will need to develop the defensive part of his game but I have said it time and time again. It's completely mad the extent to which we expect attacking wingers to babysit full backs who have zero end product. I don't want to hamstring the likes of Iwobi just so that Monreal can bomb forward and aimlessly stick the ball into the box.

I was at the Swansea game and Monreal got his pants pulled down time and time again in one on one situations by Barrow, not because iwobi wasn't tracking the overlap. At home to a poor side you can't legislate for that and expect wingers in a 4-5-1 to double up with full-backs all game. Monreal needs to learn how to defend properly one on one.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Steady on!
One foot out of La Crèche and everyone's avin a dig.... :lol: :box:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Probably the best player in the team this season in the first half of games.......probably the worst in the second half. Think that's where the problem is. Massive potential but fades quicker than the shorts I bought in Turkey last year

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Think the lad should be dropped for a couple of games he needs to refocus himself, its a shame the options are Ox or Mr Holllywood and Theo swapped sides, really wish we hadn't loaned Joel out :rubchin:

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

I'd prefer to see Sanchez back on the left and Perez up front.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

SteveO 35 wrote:Probably the best player in the team this season in the first half of games.......probably the worst in the second half. Think that's where the problem is. Massive potential but fades quicker than the shorts I bought in Turkey last year
Not potential but delivery. He's delivered, sometimes single-handedly and any drop off might be due to the effort he has put in to cover for others lack of and the number of games he plays.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Good start but when he's still doing it in 2 years time i'll believe got a nagging feeling he'll be playing for Palace or Bournemouth in 2 years though :|

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

flash gunner wrote:Good start but when he's still doing it in 2 years time i'll believe got a nagging feeling he'll be playing for Palace or Bournemouth in 2 years though :|
It's hard not to be cynical or, at least, cautious - we've seen so many false dawns with "Wenger's next great youth player", and we still haven't produced one great youth player since we produced the utter subhuman vermin that is Cashley A-Hole. :oops: :oops:

I hope Iwobi is the one, but I too will wait and see where he is playing in 2 years time... :|

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

He obviously has potential - which will become un-realised if he remains under the (mis) management of wenger. - So yes, either way he will end up at the shammers or palace. :?

I remember similar discussions/posts on here about Gnabri...whooooo???? :?