Wenger Out protest thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
NickF

Re: Wenger Out protest - Sunday 2nd April 14:30 Man City (H)

Post by NickF »

mattyb wrote:
This is our club! wrote:I probably know the answer to this already but...I'm planning to come to the protest on Sunday but wanted to take my 8 year old son to the game too...obviously my concern is the safety of my son first and foremost, has there been any problems in that sense on the other ones? Any other kids at the protests?
I wasnt able to attend the lincoln demo as i was away but my boy went with his 14 yo mate and they were fine. Keep an close eye on him as you would do anyway but there are no issues. If there was im sure there would be a hell of a lot of people that would stand up in front of a child ..me being the first..

:barscarf:
I am one of the people with the banners so I have been at the front on each march. All we have had is a couple of people trying to grab banners (one who was pulled away by Arsenal stewards) and a couple of people trying to goad us. Providing you aren't right at the front you should be fine with kids.

augie

Post by augie »

I agree with the general - I know that we all jest otherwise, but this isn't a march trying to overturn some countries dictatorship or some communist government, it s simply a football march and scaremongering is only going to heighten tensions and encourage people not to join in

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

xisstential wrote:
General wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
General wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

What you have to realise that while we all hope it IS indeed a "Peaceful" protest, that is not guaranteed and to take your son would be irresponsible. I hope the protest will go according to plan, ie: peacefully, BUT what if something should happen and he got hurt would You be able to forgive yourself.

If it were my son I would Not Take The Chance of Putting Him In Harms way.
I've seen one or two of the lads bring their sons along and there's been no issue. You do get one or two idiots trying to snatch banners at the front but generally there's been nothing major. Just stay behind the crowd or along the side and you'll be fine.

Anyway from what I know we won't be marching to the stadium for City and are simply going to meet outside the directors' entrance. There are plenty of stewards and old bill around the place to keep everyone in check.
I was at the Lincoln march and even though it went off peacefully - All it takes is One Idiot - like those scum wankers trying to stir up trouble - and One Thrown Object.

There is a Big difference between taking your son/daughter to a game and on a protest and frankly why on earth anyone would risk putting the most precious thing in their life in harms way is beyond belief.
I really don't share this alarmist tone. This is partly what is stopping others from joining because they see it as some mass anti-establishment protest filled with radicals. It's a peaceful march and I noticed a few minors against Lincoln. Both have passed off with no issue and the only real skirmishes have been close to the front. Anyone who starts trouble is risking arrest because there are police with cameras everywhere. Against Bayern, they had portable camcorders filming everything. If people are not comfortable with marching, they can always meet at the agreed meeting point.

On a different note, I was going to mention that did anyone spot the woman with the new born baby on the steps before Friar Bridge on the last protest? Now that was stupid. She wasn't part of the protest but you have to question what possessed her to take a new born baby close to a football ground on match day.
Neither do I, we are not squaring off against Russian hooligans. We got a few verbals on the Bayern march but the OB was practically shadowing us all the way. I think the only people who will start trouble will be drunks and they would have to be in a group to be effective. Couple of lone booze hounds are not really going to bother us.Drunks, supporting Wenger, looking for fights will not play well in support of him anyway.
It is not being alarmist, it is being responsible as a grown adult. Maybe those saying it's 'alarmist' don't have children. And whilst it might be difficult for someone wishing to attend the / a protest maybe they should attend the game and not the protest or vice versa without their child. As far as I am concerned there is no way any sensible parent should take a young child along. end of.

augie

Post by augie »

I have kids so my viewpoint isn't skewed by a lack of awareness of the responsibility of having kids. There are literally dozens of things that your kids will attend, that will be more dangerous than a heavily policed football protest

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

augie wrote:I have kids so my viewpoint isn't skewed by a lack of awareness of the responsibility of having kids. There are literally dozens of things that your kids will attend, that will be more dangerous than a heavily policed football protest
You have your opinion and I have mine.

General

Post by General »

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Yup! That was Jumpers decision and I spoke with both him and his son who was handing out leaflets...But my opinion still stands and no ickle piccy will change it.

I hope it all goes well & peaceful.

augie

Post by augie »

OneBardGooner wrote:
augie wrote:I have kids so my viewpoint isn't skewed by a lack of awareness of the responsibility of having kids. There are literally dozens of things that your kids will attend, that will be more dangerous than a heavily policed football protest
You have your opinion and I have mine.

And I'm not knocking your right to your opinion, but I do take issue with your suggestion that any parent allowing their kids to attend a march is irresponsible - just cos you disagree with people on an issue, doesn't entitle you to pass judgement on them/us as parents

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

One point is that knowing that peaceful direct action can make inroads is itself educational for kids. It doesnt always work but after the ballot box its the next best thing. protests is a fact of life, the sooner you get to realise the better. That being said I hate using kids in the protest as such wearing t shirts when they are being used by parents to wear them. :roll:

I Remember at college a zebra/ Pelican crossing wasnt happening, Council refused it, no budget and no need . around 200 of us marched round the 4 roads carrying coffins saying who next?

Surprisingly the council installed one within 3 months :lol:

The marches etc have definitely help put pressure on, medias full of it daily the spin is busy daily, better they react to that than invent yet more spin. Its helped so far- if more join in it will be terminal Im hopeful. For an 8 year old to feel part of that is surely good.

armchair

Post by armchair »

There is zero problems taking kids fs.
I have to take my boy who is 8.
I've been on the marches/protests and at the front.

Exactly like General has said. Theres no problems. Dont be put off. Come along one and all.

Were havin a big partaaay!

This is our club!

Post by This is our club! »

armchair wrote:There is zero problems taking kids fs.

Exactly like General has said. Theres no problems. Dont be put off. Come along one and all.

Thanks Armchair, still deciding whether to bring him or not...I definitely want to be there at least. He is Wenger out like me, but his reasons are that he is "too old" I said, that's not the reason, he's just rubbish now!!

armchair

Post by armchair »

This is our club! wrote:
armchair wrote:There is zero problems taking kids fs.

Thanks Armchair, still deciding whether to bring him or not...I definitely want to be there at least. He is Wenger out like me, but his reasons are that he is "too old" I said, that's not the reason, he's just rubbish now!!
My young fella understands Wenger needs to go. He keeps asking me why Perez cant get a game. I just say its the managers decision. He knows we are underperformong under Wenger and it hurts me to see him disappointed so often. But at the same time it shows he really cares.
His spurs mates are gonna ruin him when they finish above us.

I caught him under the duvet on his tablet the other night waaaay later than he should. Was gonna give him an earful until I realised he was watching old clips of the Arsenal back in the days before Wenger. Made me proud that did.

Hope he grows up proud to be a gooner and never witnesses again turmoil the likes of which Wenger has put us through these past seasons.
Hope he never has to protest against the club.

mattyb

Post by mattyb »

***UPDATE***
Please note the final details for Sundays demo.

2.50pm opposite the box office in Drayton Park is the gathering point.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

New Banners for Sunday

2.5 x 1m

2m x 600

GUYS PLEASE NOTE!!

The final details for Sundays demo.

mattyb

Post by mattyb »

xisstential wrote:New Banners for Sunday

2.5 x 1m

2m x 600

GUYS PLEASE NOTE!!

The final details for Sundays demo.

Love the new banners...
:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: