The January "He Looks Quite Good" Transfer Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
sk-gtfo

Re: The Fake News Summer Transfer Thread

Post by sk-gtfo »

NickF wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:35 pm
Justinsaid wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:41 pm
But overall, this transfer is a positive thing for Arsenal. People will hate for the sake of hating.
Not hate, it is just that we have seen so many false dawns it is difficult to get excited.
It is the same manager, coaches and tactics that have failed so many times in the past.
Spot on, what is the saying? - fool me once, fool me twice, fool me three times, err...fool me four times, fool me five times.....

I stopped at twice, for some reason a large section of the Arsenal fan base have been fooled about 12 times!!.

:roll:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:25 pm
NickF wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:35 pm
Justinsaid wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:41 pm
But overall, this transfer is a positive thing for Arsenal. People will hate for the sake of hating.
Not hate, it is just that we have seen so many false dawns it is difficult to get excited.
It is the same manager, coaches and tactics that have failed so many times in the past.
Spot on, what is the saying? - fool me once, fool me twice, fool me three times, err...fool me four times, fool me five times.....

I stopped at twice, for some reason a large section of the Arsenal fan base have been fooled about 12 times!!.

:roll:
As long as we create chances, Lacazette will bury them. We haven't had a finisher/goal poacher in the side for years. We can now sell Giroud to anyone who is stupid enough to pay £20m for his services, and keep Welbeck as a back up.

Our slow demise over the last 10-12 years has been down to the lower quality of player throughout the squad and that is mainly down to one thing, money. Remember all of Wenger's successful sides where not coached in a traditional sense. We still need a DM and possibly one more defender.

I am not saying this will translate into a PL winning campaign but finally getting Lacazette, in relation to what we have can only be a step in the right direction.

Swiss Tony Adams

Post by Swiss Tony Adams »

Lacazette is a great signing. Now we have to see if anyone goes, and what other players come in.
Looks like Ozil is staying, so now the question is Sanchez. I'm not confident he is staying.

The Optimist

One step forward, two steps back

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Lacazette will be a good signing, BUT if Sanchez goes then we will still be weaker overall.

the biggest problem for me remains the defence - not in terms of personnel, but the fact that with Wenger in charge it is never going to be properly addressed. Poor defence = no title challenge

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:06 am
Lacazette will be a good signing, BUT if Sanchez goes then we will still be weaker overall.

the biggest problem for me remains the defence - not in terms of personnel, but the fact that with Wenger in charge it is never going to be properly addressed. Poor defence = no title challenge
I concur :( le bulbeyes most successful spell was when we had that fantastic backline inherited from Grahams team.They had almost disbanded by the invincibles but our defence in place by then had played alongside the grand masters 8)
Since then it has been clusterfuck after clusterfuck and it will continue cos le bulbeye won't address it as you say

Swale_Gooner1985

Post by Swale_Gooner1985 »

falkirk goon wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:12 am
Gunner Rob wrote:

I concur :( le bulbeyes most successful spell was when we had that fantastic backline inherited from Grahams team.They had almost disbanded by the invincibles but our defence in place by then had played alongside the grand masters 8)
Since then it has been clusterfuck after clusterfuck and it will continue cos le bulbeye won't address it as you say
Whether they played with some of the old defenders or not, Wenger still bought or bought through and put together that back four in the invinsibles side. Lauren, Campbell, Toure and Cole, he can do it...fair enough he has left that area unaddressed on a few occasions more recently, that's obvious. However the change of system looked like we were far more solid, let's hope this is the start of the third GREAT defence of Wenger's reign.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:02 am
falkirk goon wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

Whether they played with some of the old defenders or not, Wenger still bought or bought through and put together that back four in the invinsibles side. Lauren, Campbell, Toure and Cole, he can do it...fair enough he has left that area unaddressed on a few occasions more recently, that's obvious. However the change of system looked like we were far more solid, let's hope this is the start of the third GREAT defence of Wenger's reign.

hmmmm that forward line got us out of trouble on plenty of occasions (5-3 v Boro 5-4 Scum spings to mind) Wengers weak point is defence there can be no argument about that..... We did well at the end of last season of course but lets not start hailing a new era until the pressure is seriously on in November/December of this year

Lacazette (sp) would be a great signing but along side Sanchez not as a replacement, if we lose Sanchez we WILL be a weaker team and we are still in desperate need of defenders IMO

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

A lot of people here assuming Lacazette will hit the ground running. :| Sure, let's HOPE he does, but many foreign players struggle in their first one or two seasons in the PL and with Arsene Numbnuts in charge we could end up with a very expensive bench warmer that never gets enough games on the trot to build up his confidence and adapt to the pace of the PL. :roll:

It would be great to finally have a striker hit 20+ PL goals a season, but Ligue 1 won't prepare him for the PL. :|

I also agree that if Sanchez stays this could be a good signing, but not as a replacement for Sanchez.

Fingers crossed.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
falkirk goon wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

By the way you spell it invincible...

Hopefully this new full back could be a surprise package, Lacazete good signing, we need more Top Top Qualeteeeee

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:20 am
A lot of people here assuming Lacazette will hit the ground running. :| Sure, let's HOPE he does, but many foreign players struggle in their first one or two seasons in the PL and with Arsene Numbnuts in charge we could end up with a very expensive bench warmer that never gets enough games on the trot to build up his confidence and adapt to the pace of the PL. :roll:

It would be great to finally have a striker hit 20+ PL goals a season, but Ligue 1 won't prepare him for the PL. :|

I also agree that if Sanchez stays this could be a good signing, but not as a replacement for Sanchez.

Fingers crossed.
I wish Arsenal would take a stand on players that play this game every summer, he has one year on his contract we have loads of money in the bank. Sell Giroud & Theo, keep Lucas Perez and promise him more game time. Then let Sanchez see out his contract. If he behaves like a twat let him take the flak from the fans, he deserves it for being so disconnected from the club.

We should never ever sell our best players to our rivals period. We have been too generous in the past. I still think Ozil could create loads of chances for Lacazette and I for one will be backing him to succeed. At least this time we haven't tried to go for the cheaper option although in fairness to Perez he is an accomplished finisher.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:21 am
I wish Arsenal would take a stand on players that play this game every summer, he has one year on his contract we have loads of money in the bank. Sell Giroud & Theo, keep Lucas Perez and promise him more game time. Then let Sanchez see out his contract. If he behaves like a twat let him take the flak from the fans, he deserves it for being so disconnected from the club.

We should never ever sell our best players to our rivals period. We have been too generous in the past. I still think Ozil could create loads of chances for Lacazette and I for one will be backing him to succeed. At least this time we haven't tried to go for the cheaper option although in fairness to Perez he is an accomplished finisher.
Do you honestly belive Wenger will get ruthless and ship out Walcott and Giroud though?, I can't see it myself, he talks a lot about being open minded, reinventing himself etc. but that is all it is until he actually takes some action.

There is no financial justification for selling Sanchez anyway, unless we have a 'replacement' lined up, so in order to appease the fans it would cost more money than keeping him for his final year and of course if we do buy well and build around him, go on and win the title, then he may even consider staying on despite running his contract down.

I suspect he will sign a new contract with some sort of clause in, this way he will earn at least 2x as much as he does now whether it is his final year or not and it will guarantee the club some sort of transfer fee even if relatively low, similar to what Suarez did at Liverpool but obviously because Sanchez will be 29 next summer it will be a lower release point (probably).

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

BBC Website:

Arsenal's 32-year-old midfielder Santi Cazorla, who has not played for the club since October 2016 because of an Achilles problem, may miss the whole of the 2017-18 season. (Daily Express)

But hasn't wenker just given him another contract??? Even though he missed most of last season and was due to come back and the injury flared up again??? :?

Arsenal full-back Hector Bellerin, 22, has told the club he wants to leave, but manager Arsene Wenger has rejected the request. Barcelona want to re-sign the player in a £35m deal. (Daily Express)

Is this the same player who announced 2 / 3 weeks ago he was 'Staying' ? :?

Sanchez IS Gone BTW so anyone still foolish enough to think he is staying forget it.....He was seen in the Steam Engine pub around the corner from Maine Road this morning with his 2 dogs.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:33 am
BBC Website:

Arsenal's 32-year-old midfielder Santi Cazorla, who has not played for the club since October 2016 because of an Achilles problem, may miss the whole of the 2017-18 season. (Daily Express)

But hasn't wenker just given him another contract??? Even though he missed most of last season and was due to come back and the injury flared up again??? :?

Arsenal full-back Hector Bellerin, 22, has told the club he wants to leave, but manager Arsene Wenger has rejected the request. Barcelona want to re-sign the player in a £35m deal. (Daily Express)

Is this the same player who announced 2 / 3 weeks ago he was 'Staying' ? :?

Sanchez IS Gone BTW so anyone still foolish enough to think he is staying forget it.....He was seen in the Steam Engine pub around the corner from Maine Road this morning with his 2 dogs.
Come on now what are the sources for those Bellerin and Sanchez stories?, I know the club has a track record for letting us down but when I hear stories like this I think they are just designed to get clicks and have no basis at all, where are the pics of Alexis outside the pub?. :roll:

Agree on Cazorla though, just like many other examples (RVP) we are far too loyal to players, Santi is a great player and seemingly a nice guy but he's also a multi-millionaire, why are we wasting FANS money on giving players who have chronic injury problems new contracts?, we did the same with Diaby, I think someone worked out we wasted roughly £27M on wages for him!, Wilshere.. etc.

Just like my previous post about selling Walcott and Giroud, this is a reflection of Wenger's 'soft' attitude to players (coaches?) he likes, he is not ruthless enough and he needs to changes this, otherwise we'll just get more of the same and more Wenger out stuff for the next 2 years.

P.S would anyone take Cesc back?, I would be tempted.. but then we have Cazorla signed up for next year, I'm sure he'll be a big help :roll: see what I mean!!. :censored:

Swiss Tony Adams

Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
falkirk goon wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

That was not a great defence, not by a long way.
Wenger actually didn't rate Cole, and got proper bloody lucky by getting Sol, who organised the two headless chickens ( Lauren and Toure ).

The change of system changed a few things, but so did the fact it was end of season, with a few opponents already on the beach.
Defence needs a system, it needs management. Wenger can't do that.

And as for Wenger's supposed brilliance in organising an attack...give me DB and TH and RP and even a *word censored* like Freddie looks good.

Wenger is the ultimate fraud. We spent a bloody fortune on his best team.

Can't remember the last time we had a player come through and really make it after being scouted by Wenger and the team.
It's all hype. Real smoke and mirrors stuff.

Wenger! Pah!

Swiss Tony Adams

flash gunner wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:10 am
hmmmm that forward line got us out of trouble on plenty of occasions (5-3 v Boro 5-4 Scum spings to mind) Wengers weak point is defence there can be no argument about that..... We did well at the end of last season of course but lets not start hailing a new era until the pressure is seriously on in November/December of this year
Indeed!