Highbury

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Highbury

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clash wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 12:12 pm
I watched the Arsenal Stadium Mystery last night. First time I've seen it in about 30 years and I really enjoyed the Highbury footage at the start and the end of the film. What a club we were in the 1930s. Not just compared to everyone else at the time but compared to everyone else now too. Some fine acting from George Allison and its noticeable how little Highbury changed in the 60 plus years from 1939 to 1992.

On a different note, does anyone here remember a film in the mid 80s where (I think) an Irish lad is taken to Arsenal by his dad and it is filmed on a matchday at the clock end? Nobody else I know remembers seeing this but I am hoping one of the Irish lads on here will back me up and even better remember what it was called so I can find it again.

It must have been post 1984 too because U2's Pride (in the name of love) is playing.
Ahhhh fuck man I vaguely remember that! Was it a film or was it a TV series though? Fucked if I can remember the name of it.... This is gonna bug me now.... :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 12:33 pm
Clash wrote:
I watched the Arsenal Stadium Mystery last night. First time I've seen it in about 30 years and I really enjoyed the Highbury footage at the start and the end of the film. What a club we were in the 1930s. Not just compared to everyone else at the time but compared to everyone else now too. Some fine acting from George Allison and its noticeable how little Highbury changed in the 60 plus years from 1939 to 1992.

On a different note, does anyone here remember a film in the mid 80s where (I think) an Irish lad is taken to Arsenal by his dad and it is filmed on a matchday at the clock end? Nobody else I know remembers seeing this but I am hoping one of the Irish lads on here will back me up and even better remember what it was called so I can find it again.

It must have been post 1984 too because U2's Pride (in the name of love) is playing.
Ahhhh fuck man I vaguely remember that! Was it a film or was it a TV series though? Fucked if I can remember the name of it.... This is gonna bug me now.... :lol:
It was "Lamb" a 1985 movie with Liam Neeson and filmed on the NB.

THANK YOU GOOGLE! :lol:

Clash

Post by Clash »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 12:36 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Clash wrote:

Thank you very very much mate! :D :D :D

That has bugged me for years because I started to doubt my own memory when nobody else remembered it! I should have posted this on here before.

Just out of interest, can I ask what you typed into Google? Nothing I tried ever worked.

Clash

Post by Clash »

phpBB [video]

Arsenal part is at 1hr 5mins for anyone who is interested :)

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Clash wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 12:56 pm
phpBB [video]

Cool, thanks for posting.

The kid's reaction is the same I had when Eboue made his debut.

herbert

Post by herbert »

Clash wrote:
phpBB [video]

There are some familiar faces in the film 1.07.27 in and Herd makes an appearance on his way to the cage :lol:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

I can see why they used Highbury - one of the top grounds which always resisted putting a cage in front of their supporters. :barscarf:

of course these days we would have just followed everyone else and put one up :roll:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clash wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 12:54 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Clash wrote:

That has bugged me for years because I started to doubt my own memory when nobody else remembered it! I should have posted this on here before.

Just out of interest, can I ask what you typed into Google? Nothing I tried ever worked.
I think it was "movies filmed at Highbury Stadium" but the result was hidden in a list in the Arseblog website. Just took a guess it might be on there and it was. Didn't see it mentioned anywhere else.

I also recall an episode of (I think) Minder in the 80s that had a scene filmed outside Highbury....

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 6:22 am
Clash wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Clash wrote:

I think it was "movies filmed at Highbury Stadium" but the result was hidden in a list in the Arseblog website. Just took a guess it might be on there and it was. Didn't see it mentioned anywhere else.

I also recall an episode of (I think) Minder in the 80s that had a scene filmed outside Highbury....
There was Also an episode of Neighbours (or was it home and away) that they attended a match at Highbury !

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Clash wrote:

There used to be a kids 70s tv show and The Arsenal’s fortunes we’re always a backdrop to it, I can’t remember what it was called!

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

goonersid wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:21 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Clash wrote:

There used to be a kids 70s tv show and The Arsenal’s fortunes we’re always a backdrop to it, I can’t remember what it was called!
Bagpuss? :? :wink:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

flash gunner wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:12 am
goonersid wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:21 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Clash wrote:

Bagpuss? :? :wink:
Nah!! It was way before Wenger 8)

Clash

Post by Clash »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Clash wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Clash wrote:

Thanks again mate :)

Good bit of research there and I'm glad I didnt miss something too obvious. Some useful info on that website too.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clash wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 4:30 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Clash wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Thanks again mate :)

Good bit of research there and I'm glad I didnt miss something too obvious. Some useful info on that website too.
Glad to help buddy. 8)

beck

Post by beck »

herbert wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:00 pm
Clash wrote:
phpBB [video]

There are some familiar faces in the film 1.07.27 in and Herd makes an appearance on his way to the cage :lol:
The game is forest from the 84/85 season
Allinson is equalising about 10 mins from the end
I was in the clockend
Had no idea about the filming though
It was fa cup semi final day in the times when match of the day and the big match devoted the whole programme to them so there was no coverage of this game
Beeb had Everton v Luton itv had Man Utd v liverpool
Highlights only though
Hard for young uns to believe the fa cup semis were not shown live yet
In fact at this stage the camera's had never been to Highbury for a live game
The first was a 0-0 draw in January 87 v Coventry