Europa League (merged thread)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Europa League (merged thread)

Post by DB10GOONER »

AkneyGooner wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:06 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:14 pm
I am quietly confident that we will master Bate boriksov :barscarf:
8) has to be read in the voice of the north korean leader from Team America :oops:
:lol:

Murica fuck yeah!! :barscarf: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

:rubchin:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Sorry somehow missed this thread otherwise I would've put it here to begin with.
When I mean technically we haven't won a European trophy I mean one of the two that are still continuing. UEFA no longer count the fairs cup in their records of teams that have won a European trophy.

Please can we stop all this bollocks talk about using this competition as a way of getting back into the Champions League?

Arsenal need to win this trophy because;
1) It's always good to win a trophy
2) We've got a shocking record in European competition given the club's status and history
3) The only two European competitions (trophies) we have won, no longer exist, given us a technical ZERO European trophies won. (Yes, I know the Fairs Cup was a forerunner to the UEFA Cup, which is now the Europa League)
4) Its the only competition we are left in that we can still win.

Keep the eyes on the prize

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:23 pm
Sorry somehow missed this thread otherwise I would've put it here to begin with.
When I mean technically we haven't won a European trophy I mean one of the two that are still continuing. UEFA no longer count the fairs cup in their records of teams that have won a European trophy.

Please can we stop all this bollocks talk about using this competition as a way of getting back into the Champions League?

2) We've got a shocking record in European competition given the club's status and history
3) The only two European competitions (trophies) we have won, no longer exist, given us a technical ZERO European trophies won. (Yes, I know the Fairs Cup was a forerunner to the UEFA Cup, which is now the Europa League)

While I fully agree we should go all out to win this trophy I'll never agree with discounting any trophy - the ECWC we won against Parma in particular.

That final was George Graham at his tactical best and a gritty professional team performance to be proud of against a superior team in Parma that had Brolin, Zola, Asprilla, Minotti, Di Chiara and Crippa all (or most) arguably at their peak. Literally no one in the media thought we could beat them especially without Wrighty.

That final is still one of my favourite Arsenal memories.

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:08 am
Nos89 wrote:

While I fully agree we should go all out to win this trophy I'll never agree with discounting any trophy - the ECWC we won against Parma in particular.

That final was George Graham at his tactical best and a gritty professional team performance to be proud of against a superior team in Parma that had Brolin, Zola, Asprilla, Minotti, Di Chiara and Crippa all (or most) arguably at their peak. Literally no one in the media thought we could beat them especially without Wrighty.

Were buffon, cannavaro and thuram not on that team too ? Tbh I cant remember their team for that specific match, but fcuk me they had some team back then and were a bloody good team to watch in that era.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

No they didn’t

But did have sensini, benarrivo, Apolloni and Luca Bucci who were all very good players

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

A brilliant cup run that was a real smash and grab in the final.

It was our success that highlighted many of the Parma players who went on to play in the PL. We should have bought Zola :roll:

The semi final really brought the tart that is Ginola to the fore - the semi in Paris is still one of the best games / atmospheres I have experienced and the birth of '1 - 0 to the Arsenal' at half time was brilliant.

The quarter final in the Stadio delle alpi against Torino was one of the worst games I have ever experienced. The ground was impressive but the Torino fans were so far away you could barely see them let alone hear them. No goals and a twat of a ref who blowed up everytime Smudge jumped against their centre back.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:04 pm

It was our success that highlighted many of the Parma players who went on to play in the PL. We should have bought Zola :roll:

The semi final really brought the tart that is Ginola to the fore - the semi in Paris is still one of the best games / atmospheres I have experienced and the birth of '1 - 0 to the Arsenal' at half time was brilliant.

The quarter final in the Stadio delle alpi against Torino was one of the worst games I have ever experienced. The ground was impressive but the Torino fans were so far away you could barely see them let alone hear them. No goals and a twat of a ref who blowed up everytime Smudge jumped against their centre back.

I went to Torino, and agree it was a dull as ditchwater match, with a mate and after a night there we went down by train to Genoa for a few days which was lovely.

Was also there in Paris for the birth of 1-0 to the Arsenal :barscarf: and a top away day that was.

Copenhagen was awesome, loved it, defended as only Arsenal could ( at the time ) victory through adversary as is our way, no Wrighty, no Faxe, and Seaman with pain killing injections.

Even the ugly women in Copenhagen were beautiful 🍻🍻

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

StuartL wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:59 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:04 pm

I went to Torino, and agree it was a dull as ditchwater match, with a mate and after a night there we went down by train to Genoa for a few days which was lovely.

Was also there in Paris for the birth of 1-0 to the Arsenal :barscarf: and a top away day that was.

Copenhagen was awesome, loved it, defended as only Arsenal could ( at the time ) victory through adversary as is our way, no Wrighty, no Faxe, and Seaman with pain killing injections.

Even the ugly women in Copenhagen were beautiful 🍻🍻

I don't know why but for some reason we thought there would be a crowd at Torino - mistake! We weren't quite cultured enough to think of doing Genoa though.

The Parc des Princes is my favourite away stadium - although the result the following year wasn't that great it was still a good atmosphere.

Copenhagen was indeed awesome, we were lucky enough to have upper tier front row seats behind the goal. Arsenal everywhere that night. We nearly and I will regret this for ever took up an offer of going on the same plane as the team. We knocked it back because the cost was fucking ridiculous and it appeared as though the club were using that as a simple fleecing operation. Still a great night in Copenhagen and the Danes were amazing hosts. As I recall there weren't too many ugly women knocking about that night, not after a few pints anyway :lol:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

I wasn't discounting any trophy that we won. I was merely making the point in a round about way, it's been a long time since we won a European trophy, and that we haven't won enough of them.

I'm of the opinion that had we been able to participate in the European Cup in 1989/1990 season, we would've have won it in 1991/92 as Graham would've been more tactical astute and ready for it. Given that after our loss to Benfica in the '91/'92 competition, the one defeats that hurt the most, Graham won the next European competition we qualified for, the CWC 93/94 and successive European finals showing he mastered the art of playing in European competition.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:04 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

I wasn't discounting any trophy that we won.
Oh okay.... just the following words would indicate otherwise......

"The only two European competitions (trophies) we have won, no longer exist, given us a technical ZERO European trophies won".

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:44 am
Nos89 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

"The only two European competitions (trophies) we have won, no longer exist, given us a technical ZERO European trophies won".

Highlight the first part of the sentence and its a totally different context. :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:59 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:44 am
Nos89 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

Highlight the first part of the sentence and its a totally different context. :barscarf:

That's the most Internet thing I've seen in a while - prove the second half of your own statement incorrect by referring to the first half of the same statement!!

:barscarf: :lol:

:wink:

Herd

Post by Herd »

I love euro away days /weeks and I've been doing them since the 70's , Im going to Napoli if I can .
Did Hadjuk Split as my first on my own ,a cheap holiday with Yugo tours for 70 quid for a week.
My sister worked for BA so I got a lot of cheap flights but went with the travel club to Leipzig and Magdeburg by coach as they only let 50 in during cold war days ,and many many trips by Transalpino with the lads including Turin to see us beat Juve .
A lot of our go everywhere lot who I know well actually like the Europa as it takes them places they have never been to !

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

Herd wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:00 pm
I love euro away days /weeks and I've been doing them since the 70's , Im going to Napoli if I can .
Did Hadjuk Split as my first on my own ,a cheap holiday with Yugo tours for 70 quid for a week.
My sister worked for BA so I got a lot of cheap flights but went with the travel club to Leipzig and Magdeburg by coach as they only let 50 in during cold war days ,and many many trips by Transalpino with the lads including Turin to see us beat Juve .
A lot of our go everywhere lot who I know well actually like the Europa as it takes them places they have never been to !
That's true passion and dedication. Way before my time but can see it was a different buzz travelling to away games back in the days.

I heard it was relatively easy to grab tickets and have an enjoyable day out. Wonder how difficult it was to get away tickets during the invincible season