Europa League (merged thread)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Re: Europa League

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

Sucks playing Thursdays and Sundays but I would like to see the team really go out to win this one. We have 0% chance of winning the CL right now anyways. Europa will still have some tough competition but would love to be the ones holding the trophy at the end of it.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

HARLOW GOONER wrote:Bring it on. I'm looking forward to visiting a few backward places.

Is that why you come on here ?

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Thursday's was always the lads night out and Saturdays 3pm kick off was always sacred and up to date scores on those ABCD boards! With the rush for the Evening News final paper where most scores were L....
Ahhhh the memories.... :cry:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Allgunsblazin wrote:Thursday's was always the lads night out and Saturdays 3pm kick off was always sacred and up to date scores on those ABCD boards! With the rush for the Evening News final paper where most scores were L....
:lol:

Good days, mate. 8) I tried to explain to my 12 year old son what "Ceefax" was. He looked at me like I'd had a cerebral aneurysm. :oops: :lol:

Ah... page 302 was football headlines... and (Ithink) page 316 was latest scores.

I'll always remember the day we signed Bergkamp. My old man phoned me as I got in from work and told me. I checked it on Ceefax page 302 (I think it was on 300 as well which was general sport) and there it was in big beautiful chunky Teletext FULL CAPS! :shock:

Cue me running around my back yard yelling like a lunatic. :lol: :barscarf: 8)

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:Thursday's was always the lads night out and Saturdays 3pm kick off was always sacred and up to date scores on those ABCD boards! With the rush for the Evening News final paper where most scores were L....

Good days, mate. 8) I tried to explain to my 12 year old son what "Ceefax" was. He looked at me like I'd had a cerebral aneurysm. :oops: :lol:

Ah... page 302 was football headlines... and (Ithink) page 316 was latest scores.

I'll always remember the day we signed Bergkamp. My old man phoned me as I got in from work and told me. I checked it on Ceefax page 302 (I think it was on 300 as well which was general sport) and there it was in big beautiful chunky Teletext FULL CAPS! :shock:

Cue me running around my back yard yelling like a lunatic. :lol: :barscarf: 8)
“There were 26 boxes marked with a letter of the alphabet. Below each individual letter was a door that opened and had the facility for two cards to be inserted, one in the top half, and one in the bottom half. In the match programme on the back page would be the day’s football fixture and each game would have a letter of the Alphabet adjoining it. These letters would be matched to the letters on the scoreboard and at half time, when the doors of the boxes on the scoreboard were opened and the cards inserted, the top number would show the home team’s score and the bottom number would show the away team’s score. At full time, the process would be repeated and fans would know the results of most matches that were played that day.”

We’re yet to find out when this system was scrapped. Was it because the alphabet blocks were taking up too much priceless advertising space? Or was it because football fans found a better method of learning the day’s results?

You might have still been on the tit when they were introduced lol.... :lol:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Ah Ceefax, those were the days, i seem to remember on many occasions going to the page and then having to wait whilst it went through every league until the first division/PL came back up think they eventually split it up into different pages but in the early days it went through all the leagues inc the Scottish ones :banghead:

Personally not that fussed about being in the Europa, be nice to play some different teams i guess :wink:

Poldi

Post by Poldi »

similar scenes at the Grove after the Everton match? :barscarf:

This is what missing out on the VT does to Cologne :barscarf:

phpBB [video]

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

There's zero chance of Arsenal winning the Europa, because there are simply too many games for Wenger to blag. He can barely get through six games to win the FA Cup - even when the stars align perfectly and he gets to play Hull and Reading and never has to leave London - so there's no chance he's winning the 40 odd games or whatever it is to get to the final of this.

The AKB window lickers will be out in force after we've dusted off FC Grasshoppers B team in front of 14,000 at the Emirates, but as soon as even the shittiest teams join in from the CL, it's game over.

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Nos89 wrote:What odds would you get on Bayern Munich or Barcelona finishing 3rd in their group, dropping into the Europa League and Arsenal getting them in the last 16? Just be our luck.
Ah yes, what victims of bad luck we are. It's so unfair that we have to play the likes of Barcelona and Bayern in the CL, how does this keep happening? Especially when the manager doesn't bother assembling a squad until September and then throws game six where a win would avoid the big clubs?

Even in those FA Cup wins we had to play Wigan, Hull, Reading and Villa, and in one of those seasons, we had every game in London! So fucking unlucky.

Still, no doubt things will continue to go against us this season - we've been the unluckiest side of all. Whether it's the handball winner in the 114th minute at Burnley, a dodgy penalty in our favour to help us beat the mighty Southampton at home, a Bournemouth collapse at 3-0 down, the list is endless.

Swiss Tony Adams

Post by Swiss Tony Adams »

HARLOW GOONER wrote:Bring it on. I'm looking forward to visiting a few backward places.
No offence, but...

Says someone from Harlow!

Swiss Tony Adams

augie wrote:Don't knock it lads cos if wenger stays on we wont be getting top 4 next season either, so winning this tinpot could be his best hope of playing champs league again :roll:
And a chance of winning the Super Cup, don't forget that!

OAW...

Swiss Tony Adams

Poldi wrote:similar scenes at the Grove after the Everton match? :barscarf:

This is what missing out on the VT does to Cologne :barscarf:
Einfach nur Geil!

Hoffe auf Köln in der Gruppenphase.
:barscarf:

( for the english, one of those backwards places in Europe... a bit like Harlow )
Last edited by Swiss Tony Adams on Sun May 21, 2017 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Swiss Tony Adams

VoiceOfReason wrote: The AKB window lickers will be out in force after we've dusted off FC Grasshoppers B team in front of 14,000 at the Emirates, but as soon as even the shittiest teams join in from the CL, it's game over.
Luckily Grasshoppers haven't made it from Switzerland, but Sion and Lugano have, and both places are worth a visit.
Maybe Lucerne will get the 5th spot. Incredibly beautiful there.

Now I don't want to say that Switzerland is the most beautiful country on Earth, but it is, so there.

And what's the big deal about going to Munich or Turin to get turned over?

I'm looking forward to seeing who The Arsenal get in the Europa League, and to a whole load of great journeys to see a football game.
It's not just about the 90 minutes, it's the journey there as well.

I went here yesterday, to see my team's U-21s play

Brilliant day out in the countryside, fresh air, down to the lake for lunch, a tenner to get in, decent beer, and nice people.

Of course this is the Online Gooner Forum, so don't want to be too positive...

The U-21 lost the game 2-0, and then went to see the first team back in town, who also lost 2-0. Fuck!

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

It's probably going to be our European competition for the next few years so might as well get used to it. It would be interesting to play somewhere new or far-flung like Azerbaijan or Kazahkstan but in reality, it's usually boring French shit-holes, depressed Portugese ghost-towns, Danish or Swedish fishing villages or some dodgy, racist, mad hell-hole out in Serbia where they set fire to the ground if they aren't given a free-kick or the opposition get a throw-in.

greengooner

Post by greengooner »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:It's probably going to be our European competition for the next few years so might as well get used to it. It would be interesting to play somewhere new or far-flung like Azerbaijan or Kazahkstan but in reality, it's usually boring French shit-holes, depressed Portugese ghost-towns, Danish or Swedish fishing villages or some dodgy, racist, mad hell-hole out in Serbia where they set fire to the ground if they aren't given a free-kick or the opposition get a throw-in.
Its shit and we at the moment are shit, it's a match made in heaven, bring it on