Modern Football Bol**cks

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Modern Football Bol**cks

Post by DB10GOONER »

I loved that Bergkamp had a bastard in him as well as being a cultured gifted genius. 8)

Saw him being asked years ago about Ingerlish football and he said "you have to earn the right to play" and he had this little twinkle in his eye that said "and if you try it on with me i'll fuck you up".

8)

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Female pundits in ALL MENS sport :|

I went into a women's changing room today and forced everyone to act as if they wanted me there

Like a female football pundit.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Clash wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:53 pm
Bradywasking wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:43 pm
Clash wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:35 pm
If anyone needs a brief antidote to modern football there is an old film on YouTube that was made for the centenary of the FA Cup in 1972.

Cup Glory - 1972 FA Cup Film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejTllIpxSrI

As you'll know from the year, it doesn't have a happy ending :( But I still found it interesting to watch. There is some great footage and some Arsenal stuff that I have never seen before. I enjoyed the whole thing but if you don't want to watch it all then the Arsenal footage starts around 28:50.

Some of you here might even be in it if you were at Wembley in '72 :) :barscarf:
Saw that film years ago..Well worth a watch...I had an ongoing argument for years with a Leeds fan that Allan Clarke put his hand on an Arsenal defender's shoulder to gain leverage to score the goal. He didn't and I knew he didn't and the Leeds fan knew he didn't but I wouldn't give in..
That was probably one of the most significant days in making me an Arsenal supporter. I felt so sorry for the Arsenal players after the game that it cemented my support for them.I loved the majesty of the red (gray on our TV) shirts and white sleeves. So as an eight year old I was hooked and as I got older it was the history and class of the club that attracted me.
I was hooked on Arsenal because they lost a Cup Final..I prepared well for a lifetime of pain.. I had an article about how I started supporting the club published in the matchday programme some years ago. The article is now on the wall in a frame with my first ever Arsenal scarf..a 1970s red silk one.
Nice story BWK and I’d lik to read that article of yours on here sometime if you get the chance to post it.
Glad to Clash , when I figure out how to...

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:01 am
Female pundits in ALL MENS sport :|

I went into a women's changing room today and forced everyone to act as if they wanted me there

Like a female football pundit.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

Not sure if I see this as a positive change either -

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... a-for-u18s

Linking heading a ball to jeff astle's death is subjective at best - absolutely it could have been as a result of heading a ball continually, but it could also have been caused by a clash of heads or hitting his head off the wall or door at home, or anything like that, so how the fcuk can you automatically put this on heading a ball ? As well as that, it should also be acknowledged that jeff astle played in an era where the footballs were heavy leather weapons, whilst today's footballs are lighter (too light imo), so heading today's footballs shouldn't be as big a risk.

On a practical side of things, how can you now coach a 15 or 16 year old that has played football for years, and tell him that he now casn no longer head a ball after years of doing just that ? What would be the "punishments" for heading a ball in a game ? If this rule is just for under 18s, do we then expect them to be able to head a ball properly at 18, and be ready to adapt immediately to games that allow heading again ?

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

The BFG was ahead of his time by ducking out of heading the ball

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

Clash wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:35 pm
If anyone needs a brief antidote to modern football there is an old film on YouTube that was made for the centenary of the FA Cup in 1972.

Cup Glory - 1972 FA Cup Film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejTllIpxSrI

As you'll know from the year, it doesn't have a happy ending :( But I still found it interesting to watch. There is some great footage and some Arsenal stuff that I have never seen before. I enjoyed the whole thing but if you don't want to watch it all then the Arsenal footage starts around 28:50.

Some of you here might even be in it if you were at Wembley in '72 :) :barscarf:
I wasn't there but watched it on the Telly here in Aus. Great memories. If only we could have pitches like that now it would sort a few soft players out. Nice to see Wee Gordie Armstrong again. Wonderful memories of him having a kick about with me a & a few mates in Regents park in the late 60's. Players wouldn't do that nowdays !!. Also Jack Chalton's son John, came out to Aus in the late 70's to play for our local team !. Looked just like his dad - big & ugly. :barscarf: :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:39 pm

Linking heading a ball to jeff astle's death is subjective at best - absolutely it could have been as a result of heading a ball continually, but it could also have been caused by a clash of heads or hitting his head off the wall or door at home, or anything like that, so how the fcuk can you automatically put this on heading a ball ? As well as that, it should also be acknowledged that jeff astle played in an era where the footballs were heavy leather weapons, whilst today's footballs are lighter (too light imo), so heading today's footballs shouldn't be as big a risk.

On a practical side of things, how can you now coach a 15 or 16 year old that has played football for years, and tell him that he now casn no longer head a ball after years of doing just that ? What would be the "punishments" for heading a ball in a game ? If this rule is just for under 18s, do we then expect them to be able to head a ball properly at 18, and be ready to adapt immediately to games that allow heading again ?
Jesus H Fucking Christ. What type of snowflake fuckery is this nonsense ffs? :oops: :roll:

There is no actual evidence that long term heading of a football leads to any illness or degenerative disease. The bewildered cùnt that wrote the report says himself: "We haven't got the cast-iron evidence of direct causality between heading and health outcomes". :roll:

I know, let's take away football boots too. Those studs can lead to a real owie if they hit your foot or leg you know. Actually fuck it remove the ball altogether so there is no risk of contact that might lead to someone getting an owie or, God forbid, getting upset or something. The players could mime passing an invisible ball around and we could then safely integrate women players into the game and VAR could look out for any privileged white male being disrespectful or sexist on the pitch. 8)

I don't know about you guys but I'm genuinely fucking excited at the prospects for the future respectful non binary no contact safe sport of Mimeball.

:suicide:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:58 am
augie wrote:

Jesus H Fucking Christ. What type of snowflake fuckery is this nonsense ffs? :oops: :roll:

There is no actual evidence that long term heading of a football leads to any illness or degenerative disease. The bewildered cùnt that wrote the report says himself: "We haven't got the cast-iron evidence of direct causality between heading and health outcomes". :roll:

I know, let's take away football boots too. Those studs can lead to a real owie if they hit your foot or leg you know. Actually fuck it remove the ball altogether so there is no risk of contact that might lead to someone getting an owie or, God forbid, getting upset or something. The players could mime passing an invisible ball around and we could then safely integrate women players into the game and VAR could look out for any privileged white male being disrespectful or sexist on the pitch. 8)

I don't know about you guys but I'm genuinely fucking excited at the prospects for the future respectful non binary no contact safe sport of Mimeball.

Let's adopt the findings of this report and then complain that kids are spending too much time on computers games etc. .Those experts would implode if they saw an underage hurling game in rural Ireland.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bradywasking wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:09 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:

Let's adopt the findings of this report and then complain that kids are spending too much time on computers games etc. .Those experts would implode if they saw an underage hurling game in rural Ireland.
My brother in law from the US nearly shat himself the first time he saw Hurling. :lol: "Hey its just fighting with sticks!" he yelped. But after a bit of watching it he realised what a truly tough and skillful game it is.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Big screens zooming in on fans and they go from being sad to being over the moon for being on TV..

i hate that

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

flash gunner wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:53 am
Big screens zooming in on fans and they go from being sad to being over the moon for being on TV..

i hate that
As per above
Camera on the fan whose team is loosing or going out of the cup.....and the reaction is fucking elation because the camera is on them WTF?

Clash

Post by Clash »

DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:

Great post mate 8) Although I don't know whether to laugh or cry at what you wrote.

There appears to be no end to the increase in the absurdity we are being subjected to so what you've said will probably not be too far from the truth.

Although before heading is banned altogether they'll probably be a period where wearing Cech style helmets will be made compulsory. And this will be another place for sponsors to exploit or players like Neymar to display their own brand. Everyone's a winner!

Clash

Post by Clash »

Redarmy wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:08 am
flash gunner wrote:

i hate that
As per above
Camera on the fan whose team is loosing or going out of the cup.....and the reaction is fucking elation because the camera is on them WTF?
Yeah I really hate this too mate, spot on Flash! There was one years ago that made me laugh though. Spurs had knocked West Ham out the cup at Upton Park and the camera focused in on a young West Ham fan in the crowd who was visibly upset. When he saw himself on the big screen he swore and gave the finger to the cameras :lol:

It also irritates me seeing women looking overly emotional in the crowd. Make-up smudged and crying at losing a final, being relegated ... or just looking anxious in the dying moments of a game. I bet a lot of them don't give a f--k. They're just there to be seen and when they're caught on camera that's what matters the most.

There are way too many close-ups of everything in football these days. They even show slow-motion replays of crowd and managers reactions. Or mundane things drinking some water :roll:

I've always liked seeing crowds reactions to goals but it has to be from a distance. The carnage (especially on a packed terrace) can look spectacular and provides a great backdrop to the action. Close-ups of individuals faces however is just part of the current obsession with theatrical melodrama. And I am sick of the mawkish sentimentality surrounding football as well :banghead: .

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

flash gunner wrote:

i hate that
Oh I fucking hate that. :banghead: