Modern Football Bol**cks

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Gunner Rob

Re: Modern Football Bol**cks

Post by Gunner Rob »

Leyton Gooner wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:16 pm
5 live have just had some cow "with 80 caps for England" taking about Gordon Banks. :banghead:
did she moo ?

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Leyton Gooner wrote:
5 live have just had some cow "with 80 caps for England" taking about Gordon Banks. :banghead:
Nice, what a fitting tribute to the great GB. Just when we thought the footy couldn't be gentifried any more they pull the female WC pundit stunt and it's fucking stuck it would seem. The cat's out of the bag and it seems there is no going back.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Herd wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:02 am
Leyton Gooner wrote:
Well none of the womans Goalkeepers have ever learnt anything from Gordon Banks because if there one position that shows you how fucking crap womans football is it's the goalkeeping which is of the lowest standard possible !

On the other hand I do enjoy a bit of womans five nation rugby seeing a loose moving maul with steaming squirming bodies is quite erotic !
Difficult not to laugh

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=an ... &FORM=VIRE

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Herd wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:02 am
Leyton Gooner wrote:
Well none of the womans Goalkeepers have ever learnt anything from Gordon Banks because if there one position that shows you how fucking crap womans football is it's the goalkeeping which is of the lowest standard possible !

On the other hand I do enjoy a bit of womans five nation rugby seeing a loose moving maul with steaming squirming bodies is quite erotic !
You're a sick little puppy aren't you? :lol:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

the absolute state of the FA Cup fifth round weekend :roll: :banghead:

Saturday 3pm fixtures : Wimbledon v Millwall :lol: and that's it..

the only match of any interest is Chelsea v United and that won't be until Monday evening.

blimey some International Break weekends are better than this one upcoming.

Herd

Post by Herd »

You're a sick little puppy aren't you? :lol:
Yea man Chubby love is good love !

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Anybody else see Ajax’s goal which was ruled out by VAR yesterday?

Does anybody here genuinely think that that is improving football?

augie

Post by augie »

northbank123 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:17 pm

Not me anyway buddy - I am and always have been against it, partially because football is a human game where there will always be mistakes made by players, so why should the referee's be any different, but also because it is always gonna create anger/frustration about just how much it is to be used in a game. Last night's game for example, seen real madrid score a 2nd goal from a counter attack during which an ajax player was wrestled to the ground off the ball - I'm not saying for sure that he would have got back enough to make a difference for the goal, but he was certainly running back trying to defend the counter attack when he was taken out of the game. Does that not warrant the use of var as much as deciding if a player is offside or not when a goal is scored ? People can say that var should only be used for limited reasons, but we have already gone from goal-line technology to using it for offsides, and I believe that drawing the line on this will not be easy and we might end up using it for almost everything :roll:
I should also add that I frequently hear var advocates saying that there is too much money involved in football these days to have important moments decided by incompotent officials,but they will often refer to football as a sport in other arguments - it is either a business or it is sport, so make your minds up ffs

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:38 pm
northbank123 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:17 pm

Not me anyway buddy - I am and always have been against it, partially because football is a human game where there will always be mistakes made by players, so why should the referee's be any different, but also because it is always gonna create anger/frustration about just how much it is to be used in a game. Last night's game for example, seen real madrid score a 2nd goal from a counter attack during which an ajax player was wrestled to the ground off the ball - I'm not saying for sure that he would have got back enough to make a difference for the goal, but he was certainly running back trying to defend the counter attack when he was taken out of the game. Does that not warrant the use of var as much as deciding if a player is offside or not when a goal is scored ? People can say that var should only be used for limited reasons, but we have already gone from goal-line technology to using it for offsides, and I believe that drawing the line on this will not be easy and we might end up using it for almost everything :roll:
I should also add that I frequently hear var advocates saying that there is too much money involved in football these days to have important moments decided by incompotent officials,but they will often refer to football as a sport in other arguments - it is either a business or it is sport, so make your minds up ffs
Agreed 100%. Have been against it since day 1 for all the arguments you list augie and would also add that it causes a delay of between 2 and 5 minutes. So we get a 2 to 5 minute stoppage every time they use it and it is still not 100% foolproof ffs. :roll:

Herd

Post by Herd »

Im all for using cameras especially close ups when you can see if it's gone all the way in ………………..oh sorry u mean for football .
I think VAR as it is today is awful but its inevitable and if your going to do it you need to be clear on the criteria .
Rugby is being ruined at the moment because the refs use it too much and the annoying thing is that they often go to it for 1 reason but then the VAR man sees another infringement and it distorts the game . Granted that in Rugby theres a lot more going on off the ball but refs need to be clear when they use it .

The problem is players will be screaming for VAR every 2 seconds and the constant stop start will get out of hand !

Next stop is 4 quarters and TV time outs and the game will last over two hours !

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

That’s one of the major issues Herd. In rugby they end up checking minor potential knock-ons or obstructions from a few phases back which would never otherwise be picked up and aren’t really a factor in the try. Stuff which is never given in real time but matches then turn on it being reviewed.

You just create another argument about whether it was the right decision not to go to VAR, and what the threshold is.

It’s also a disincentive to referees and linesmen giving fouls and offside in the meantime, as if they wrongly call a foul it stops a potential goal but if they wrongly don’t call a foul then VAR will bail them out. The United game where linesmen were instructed not to put their flag up for offsides which presented a goal scoring chance for this reason was a farce. Di Maria was two yards offside for his chance - what benefit is there from letting him score before reviewing it and mugging off the players and fans who have celebrated.

It’s a fucking circus that belongs in some other shit sport.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

John Barnes is on Question Time tonight :lol: :shock:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Spot the audience plant bringing up the race question

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Watch middle class white people taking great offence at the opinion of a black guy on the subject of race courtesy of what an Irish bloke :wink: said many years ago :roll:

John F

Post by John F »

Herd wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:32 am
Im all for using cameras especially close ups when you can see if it's gone all the way in ………………..oh sorry u mean for football .
I think VAR as it is today is awful but its inevitable and if your going to do it you need to be clear on the criteria .
Rugby is being ruined at the moment because the refs use it too much and the annoying thing is that they often go to it for 1 reason but then the VAR man sees another infringement and it distorts the game . Granted that in Rugby theres a lot more going on off the ball but refs need to be clear when they use it .

The problem is players will be screaming for VAR every 2 seconds and the constant stop start will get out of hand !

Next stop is 4 quarters and TV time outs and the game will last over two hours !
They could take the cricket approach and allow the captain's a limited amount of referrals to Var, say 1each half .