Modern Football Bol**cks

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: Modern Football Bol**cks

Post by augie »

Had to do a long drive to one of my lad's matches yesterday afternoon so I downloaded the latest sunday supplement podcast to listen to in the car …… what a load of bollox that was :roll: They discussed the declan rice saga, and I know that I am biased here, but they talked some amount of shit about how this system of changing countries is good and perfectly fits the modern football world :? :? How does players changing countries after representing that country for 4 different age groups (and I'm only referring to rice cos thats who the talk was about) suit the modern football world ? Are we teaching young players/people that their word means nothing and commitment is no longer relevent ? He chose Ireland when england didnt want him - the chavs didnt want him back then either, so should he be allowed to drop the shammers now and rejoin the chavs cos they want him again ??
Of course some of this problem is Ireland's football association's fault too - when you continue to target young players not born in Ireland, then you are always gonna be vulnerable to this type of outcome. Over here they have started under-age league's at various age groups for the big clubs to develop their own players instead of depending on smaller clubs throughout the country to do the groundwork for them - the concept idea to this is that it will create a better pathway for young players to the league of Ireland and then up to professional clubs and International football, but within months of that big announcement, several young players were called up to the various squads that had not been born in Ireland either :roll:
The thing about this is that rice will eventually suffer too - lets be honest here and admit that rice is a good player, but nothing more than that. For Ireland he would have been a key part of the team for years to come because that is where we are now, but for England he will be another peripheral player who might get a few caps, but will never establish himself as a regular in England's team

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Augie did you see that England squad in the world cup?! :shock: He'll captain it for the next decade!!

:lol: :wink:

Tbh I just don't really give a shit about interlull football.

I've zero problem with him changing. Rice was born in England raised in England. Of course he wants to play for England. If the situation was reversed he'd be hailed as a hero here and the fucking idiots in government would make his birthday a public holiday. :oops: :x

And yep most modern young players are dishonest insincere mercenary cùnts tbh. The silly money in the game has caused that to happen.

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:57 pm
Augie did you see that England squad in the world cup?! :shock: He'll captain it for the next decade!!

I've zero problem with him changing. Rice was born in England raised in England. Of course he wants to play for England. If the situation was reversed he'd be hailed as a hero here and the fucking idiots in government would make his birthday a public holiday. :oops: :x

And yep most modern young players are dishonest insincere mercenary cùnts tbh. The silly money in the game has caused that to happen.

If you feel English and want to play for England, then don't declare to play for Ireland/Scotland/Wales or whoever, and people would understand that - one of those journo fools were saying that players like rice were being asked to pick what country they were gonna play for before they even picked their gcse subjects and that it was unfair on them, and fair enough I can understand that argument, but surely by 18 years of age players should know who they want to play for ?? Personally I don't think that any player should be allowed change after they turn 18.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

augie wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:27 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:57 pm

If you feel English and want to play for England, then don't declare to play for Ireland/Scotland/Wales or whoever, and people would understand that - one of those journo fools were saying that players like rice were being asked to pick what country they were gonna play for before they even picked their gcse subjects and that it was unfair on them, and fair enough I can understand that argument, but surely by 18 years of age players should know who they want to play for ?? Personally I don't think that any player should be allowed change after they turn 18.

The fault lies with the respective FAs who are prepared to offer places using the grandparent rule. Let's face it most footballers don't have two brain cells to rub together and are in it for themselves so if they don't look like being good enough to play for England :lol: and the Republic or Scotland or Wales or whoever offer them international football then they will grab it. It's down to the Irish FA to say fuck it we are Ireland and unless you were born here or at least grew up here and went through the Irish school system then you don't play for us. Anything else and you have to be prepared to be shocked by the duplicitous nature of professional footballers.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Declan Who ?????
You know I have a suspicion and have had for some time that in some games the Linesmen are already getting briefed from someone watching on the telly .
There is a lot of occaisions when you see the linesman with his flag down ,the player is offside ,scores and the linesman suddenly flags about 5 seconds later ie he's been told its offside !

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Some of the comment in Oierland on the Rice story has been manufactured drama , the like we haven't seen since the Henry handball..To counteract that this time there has also been reasoned debate and comment. The FAI have exploited a system for years, occasionally it backfires. Get over it. Move on.
Bottom line for me is I couldn't care less.

augie

Post by augie »

Bradywasking wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:46 am
Some of the comment in Oierland on the Rice story has been manufactured drama , the like we haven't seen since the Henry handball..To counteract that this time there has also been reasoned debate and comment. The FAI have exploited a system for years, occasionally it backfires. Get over it. Move on.

So you think that a player playing 4 different age groups and then switching to another country is ok then ? Take Ireland out of the equation and look at it objectively and tell me if you think that it is acceptable - some people over here think that Ireland is due that backlash cos of their exploitation of the granny rule, and while I can understand that sentiment, for me that is a totally different argument. If, for example, Michael own had of switched to wales just before he hit the big time the English meeja would have been up in arms over it

augie

Post by augie »

There was no seeding used in today's Europa league draw but Russian and ukrainian teams have been kept apart - What.The.Fcuk ?? If these teams can guarantee opposition teams and fans safety, then what the fcuk are UEFA letting them in for ?? You can be damn sure teams from Ireland and Northern Ireland wouldn't be given special treatment like this and rightly so, and if English teams couldn't guarantee safety they would be fcuked out on their arses :roll: :evil: :evil: :censored: :censored:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

augie wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:13 pm
Bradywasking wrote:

So you think that a player playing 4 different age groups and then switching to another country is ok then ? Take Ireland out of the equation and look at it objectively and tell me if you think that it is acceptable - some people over here think that Ireland is due that backlash cos of their exploitation of the granny rule, and while I can understand that sentiment, for me that is a totally different argument. If, for example, Michael own had of switched to wales just before he hit the big time the English meeja would have been up in arms over it
Not sure where I said its ok to play at four under age groups , I think the idea of playing for more than one country is ludicrous,its not Rugby. But it's not a perfect world and if the FAI dabble in the poaching game they have to accept it can backfire.
Mick McCarthy gave the correct respone even if he didn't mean it..
Again Rice's decision is of no great consequence to me as I am indifferent to international football. If genuine fans are upset by it then maybe that is understandable if you put yourself in their shoes.
I no longer get worked up over decisions footballers make. Most footballers base decisions on financial and fooball reasons and Rice is probably doing the same.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Bradywasking wrote:

Here's a question augster me old mucker. :wink:

Do you think any of those Scots, Welshmen, and Englishmen that played for Oireland through the granny rule in the 80s and 90s would have still done so if they had half a chance of playing for their actual country of birth?

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:10 pm
augie wrote:
Bradywasking wrote:

Here's a question augster me old mucker. :wink:

Do you think any of those Scots, Welshmen, and Englishmen that played for Oireland through the granny rule in the 80s and 90s would have still done so if they had half a chance of playing for their actual country of birth?

100% that answer would be an emphatic NO, but my argument is that it should not be possible to play for a country at that many age groups and then switch allegiance. There needs to be a cut off point IF fifa is gonna persist with this granny rule bullshit - imo no player should be allowed switch past their 18th birthday.
There was also an interesting article online the other day where it touched on a new fa policy where they are now targeting any and every young player born/eligible to play for England - they approached graham Kavanagh's son (graham is a born and bred Dub who played for Ireland a few times) because he was born in Cardiff (when his dad was playing for Cardiff) and is eligible for all uk countries

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Quite enjoyed the irony of Andy Townsend bemoaning the Declan Rice situation

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

northbank123 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:43 am
Ah yes, the cockney pogue :roll: :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:18 am
northbank123 wrote:
I'm just hoping someone asks Tony "Paddy" Cascarino what he thinks about it, given that his sole claim to Oirishness was an Oirish granny that turned out to be 100% Italian with zero Oirish blood or connection to the country! :lol:

The best bit? He told Jack Charlton and Charlton swore him to secrecy! Sometimes being Oirish is just fucking cool. :lol: 8)

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:18 am
northbank123 wrote:
Andy Townsend the man Jack Charlton deemed better than Liam Brady. During the glory years :-P under Big Jack , Townsend fitted every cliche..An Oireland game on RTE wasn't official until George Hamilton utterd " Andy Townsend is finding his range with one of his Howitzers"