Modern Football Bol**cks

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clash

Re: Modern Football Bol**cks

Post by Clash »

Maybe a minor thing but it’s a real pet hate of mine ... BT sport talking about how high Sheffield United can finish in their first season up after being promoted ... and saying Forest are the previous best with their 3rd place finish in 94/95.

But Forest actually won the title in 1978 the season after being promoted, yet because it’s not the Premier League, it doesn’t count and doesn’t get a mention :banghead:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Clash wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:07 pm
Maybe a minor thing but it’s a real pet hate of mine ... BT sport talking about how high Sheffield United can finish in their first season up after being promoted ... and saying Forest are the previous best with their 3rd place finish in 94/95.

But Forest actually won the title in 1978 the season after being promoted, yet because it’s not the Premier League, it doesn’t count and doesn’t get a mention :banghead:
Completely agree, the way it is portrayed that football didnt exist before the formation of the EPL makes me want to puke, and actually it totally ignores some great footballing achievements back in the day :roll: :cussing:

Clash

Post by Clash »

:banghead:

Arsenal FC have been praised by the Equality and Human Rights Association for the amount of draws they have achieved this season. The Gunners are on course for the Premier League’s record number of drawn games and the belief is that this should be both recognised and rewarded.

According to the EHRA, the feelings of superiority and inferiority that ensue from one team beating another team can give rise to negative and long-term physiological effects. It causes arrogance and boastfulness on one side and anger and frustration on the other.

And these effects are not just restricted to players. Football supporters in particular have a history of goading and taunting rival club’s supporters and players. Discrimination and baiting of this kind has no place in 21st century sport or society.

A spokesman also said: ''Equality in sport should not just be about gender, culture, race or disability. Too often in professional sports such as football one team will have better players than the other team and this lack of equality is in direct conflict with what we deem to be acceptable. Sports equality is about fairness, freedom of access, recognising inequalities and taking steps to address them. It is about changing the structure of sport to ensure that it becomes equally accessible to everyone in society, regardless of age, ability or physique. Winning should not be encourage and can longer be acceptable as for there to be winners, there also has to be losers''.

EHRA propose a restructuring to the points system which will eventually lead to there being no points system at all. Numerous affiliated groups up and down the UK and across the world have shown their support.

(ok yeah I made it all up but you can't necessarily tell anymore :roll: )

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Clash wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:53 pm

Arsenal FC have been praised by the Equality and Human Rights Association for the amount of draws they have achieved this season. The Gunners are on course for the Premier League’s record number of drawn games and the belief is that this should be both recognised and rewarded.

According to the EHRA, the feelings of superiority and inferiority that ensue from one team beating another team can give rise to negative and long-term physiological effects. It causes arrogance and boastfulness on one side and anger and frustration on the other.

And these effects are not just restricted to players. Football supporters in particular have a history of goading and taunting rival club’s supporters and players. Discrimination and baiting of this kind has no place in 21st century sport or society.

A spokesman also said: ''Equality in sport should not just be about gender, culture, race or disability. Too often in professional sports such as football one team will have better players than the other team and this lack of equality is in direct conflict with what we deem to be acceptable. Sports equality is about fairness, freedom of access, recognising inequalities and taking steps to address them. It is about changing the structure of sport to ensure that it becomes equally accessible to everyone in society, regardless of age, ability or physique. Winning should not be encourage and can longer be acceptable as for there to be winners, there also has to be losers''.

EHRA propose a restructuring to the points system which will eventually lead to there being no points system at all. Numerous affiliated groups up and down the UK and across the world have shown their support.

:D :D :D

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:58 pm
Clash wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:07 pm

Completely agree, the way it is portrayed that football didnt exist before the formation of the EPL makes me want to puke, and actually it totally ignores some great footballing achievements back in the day :roll: :cussing:
yeah that is ridiculous.
the only thing that dismissing non Premier League records is good for is to wind Liverpool fans up :D
I have a colleague going on and on about winning the league this season and I just say "well about time you won your FIRST title" :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clash wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:53 pm

:lol: :barscarf:

Tbh I was reading it and thinking this must be made up but then again...... :D :wink:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

The Football Association is in talks to move the 2021 Community Shield from Wembley because of a clash with the Women's European Championship.

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

Redarmy wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:12 pm
The Football Association is in talks to move the 2021 Community Shield from Wembley because of a clash with the Women's European Championship.
In fairness they moved a World Cup finals match to White City in 1966 because it clashed with the weekly greyhound racing at Wembley so there's nothing new in moving football to make way for minority sports.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Red Snapper wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:58 pm
Redarmy wrote:
In fairness they moved a World Cup finals match to White City in 1966 because it clashed with the weekly greyhound racing at Wembley so there's nothing new in moving football to make way for minority sports.
Yes your right just looked it up Uruguay v France (2-1)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Red Snapper wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
I like your extremely loose definition of "sport". :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Redarmy wrote:
Surely there's a five a side pitch somewhere the birds can use? Seems silly to have what 2 or 3 thousand screeching women and a couple hundred of the "players" moms and embarrassed dad's "packed" into one stand in Wemberley. :roll:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:43 am
Redarmy wrote:
Surely there's a five a side pitch somewhere the birds can use? Seems silly to have what 2 or 3 thousand screeching women and a couple hundred of the "players" moms and embarrassed dad's "packed" into one stand in Wemberley. :roll:
I'm pleased that it clashes - the less people that watch the women's kick about the better.

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:41 am
Red Snapper wrote:
Redarmy wrote:

I like your extremely loose definition of "sport"
. :lol:
I was going to put "to make way for dogs" but I thought better of it. :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Red Snapper wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:10 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:41 am
Red Snapper wrote:
Redarmy wrote:

I like your extremely loose definition of "sport"
. :lol:
I was going to put "to make way for dogs" but I thought better of it. :wink:
:lol: :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

Admittedly it is a looong read, but an interesting and accurate one too

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/sport/footbal ... spartandhp